Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I was a fan of Paces confidence in that if you have a guy you love, go get them, but at the same time it devastated the teams draft capital and probably helped contribute to those players failures as they had less overall talent around them. That strategy will work if you hit and do it sparingly, but man oh man, in hindsight how far it set the team back is insane.

Same. I said several times I had no issues with Pace moving up or trading assets. Thr issue was that he made the picks for players that weren't good enough. If he drafts Mahomes instead of Tru he looks like a genius and the Bears have at least one Super Bowl ring since drafting him. 

Monty is a good player but not worth a loss of multiple picks imo. 

Floyd was a poor EDGE for the Bears that started to thrive as the #2 who utilized his offball skills more with Mack here. 

His trade down for Whitehair was solid.

Trade up for Kwit sucked overall. 

Trade down for Shaheen netted Cohen but a crap TE. 

Trading up for EJax was a stellar move. 

Trading up for Miller looked like an incredible move but he turned out to be an idiot and fell apart. 

The trade to snag Gipson has been meh at best. 

The trade up for Mooney was fantastic. 

He had some hits and some misses. Problem wasn't that he missed on several but that he missed on the QB and wernt all-in with him - and had a crap HC/playcaller hire to compound those mistakes. 

• Like 3

Yeah I had no issues with Pace going after his guys... But the fewer picks you have, the more critical it is that they hit (and if you're really limited on picks, produce at a higher than average level). 

No one would be upset about a gm who only had one pick per draft, if every player he picked was a first ballot hall of famer. 

The flip side of that extreme is the draft sims we've all done where you trade down and stock pile picks in a completely unrealistic fashion and end up drafting 25x in rounds 5-7 just grabbing tons of people who may not even make a decent team's roster. 

Being the literal worst team in the league record wise, we have a massive amount of overall roster improvement that can be done (which favors a trade down and get more picks approach), but sooner or later we're going to have to hit on some actually talented people if we want to make real noise. 

Being completely real, I'm actually less confident in poles so far than i was with pace at this point. We've made moves in FA, but the drafting so far has been a let down. Hopefully this season can improve that. 

• Like 2

Rewatching parts of games on all 22 from 2nd half of season.

Our defense, especially our DL, was historically bad.  

Watched a series where Kaleb McGary just absolutely dominated Gipson.  Embarrassing for him. 

Poor Brisker and Jackson were expected to make all these tackles with RB just coming at them full speed untouched.  That wears on you.

Just terrible.  A lot of time It was just basically Sanborn or no one until they got to secondary. 

Billings may have been as important as any signing.  They need some beef eaters in worst way.  

On plus side, with protection Fields is really good.  Really good.

Make OL and DLine better, and they already are improved some, and this team will look a lot different.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Rewatching parts of games on all 22 from 2nd half of season.

Our defense, especially our DL, was historically bad.  

Watched a series where Kaleb McGary just absolutely dominated Gipson.  Embarrassing for him. 

Poor Brisker and Jackson were expected to make all these tackles with RB just coming at them full speed untouched.  That wears on you.

Just terrible.  A lot of time It was just basically Sanborn or no one until they got to secondary. 

Billings may have been as important as any signing.  They need some beef eaters in worst way.  

On plus side, with protection Fields is really good.  Really good.

Make OL and DLine better, and they already are improved some, and this team will look a lot different.  

Brisker has to be a lot better this year. Yes it sucks making those tackles over and over but after the Pats game he was awful. He was giving 2020-2021 Eddie Jackson type effort on some open field tackles. 

But yes, the DL last year was as bad as I've seen as a fan. This is a big year coming for Gipson

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Brisker has to be a lot better this year. Yes it sucks making those tackles over and over but after the Pats game he was awful. He was giving 2020-2021 Eddie Jackson type effort on some open field tackles. 

But yes, the DL last year was as bad as I've seen as a fan. This is a big year coming for Gipson

Gipson was really surprising to me. He did a lot well in 2021 and while expecting a big leap from there may not have been realistic we just saw none of the good we saw in 2021 last year even before Quinn was traded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Gipson was really surprising to me. He did a lot well in 2021 and while expecting a big leap from there may not have been realistic we just saw none of the good we saw in 2021 last year even before Quinn was traded. 

Last year was so devoid of talent, particularly on the DL, that its sort of hard to tell if everyone was bad, or if there is some good talent that just never got the opportunity because they were asked to take on too much based on the lack of talent around them.  I wouldn't bank on Gipson, but I wouldn't write him off yet either

• Like 2

Velus hasn’t been written off yet, he still has some level of potential albeit lesser with each new arrival. ESB and Pettis have shown their absolute ceiling, which is pathetic. Neither belong in the NFL. I’d prefer a 5th round rookie gets their roster spot