Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

18 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Random question for the rando thoughts thread:

What's the "Chicago Cubs for Dummies" these days?  I have a vendor visiting from the UK and he's really excited to see a Cubs game so bought us some kind of hospitality package thing.  I did warn him I have zero interest in baseball so won't be a particularly good tour guide, which he doesn't quite believe as he realized I live kinda close to the stadium last time he was here and thought that must mean we go all the time (I last went to a Cubs game in 2004)

What's the deal with the Cubs? Are they good? Who are the good players, any interesting stories right now?  It's against the Cardinals if that helps.  We hate them right?

Cardinals for the cubs are GB for us. Cubs have almost been playing better than their means so far this season, a couple impressive outings. Pitcher Drew Smyly almost had a perfect game recently (most difficult task for a pitcher) but got tackled by his catcher on accident. The cubs abandoned their entire roster essentially from the World Series year. Team has a lot of decently high value future prospects from the trades. Dansby Swanson was the big name signing of the off-season, he’s a great fielder, kinda average hitter. Other decent players of note would be Ian Happ, Nico Hoerner and a few others. 

I am a casual fan myself, but you don’t have to be an expert watching it unless you literally know nothing about baseball. A rudimentary understanding and ability to explain the basic stuff to a totally uninformed person would work. Also, drinking and camaraderie is a big part of games. Some people just go for the social aspect and vibes. 

edit: Here’s a cheat code for amateurs  I went to a Sox game with my cousin a few years ago when they sucked and didn’t know a single player so i consulted MLB the show player ratings to see who I should watch 

Edited by Ty21

23 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Cardinals for the cubs are GB for us. Cubs have almost been playing better than their means so far this season, a couple impressive outings. Pitcher Drew Smyly almost had a perfect game recently (most difficult task for a pitcher) but got tackled by his catcher on accident. The cubs abandoned their entire roster essentially from the World Series year. Team has a lot of decently high value future prospects from the trades. Dansby Swanson was the big name signing of the off-season, he’s a great fielder, kinda average hitter. Other decent players of note would be Ian Happ, Nico Hoerner and a few others. 

I am a casual fan myself, but you don’t have to be an expert watching it unless you literally know nothing about baseball. A rudimentary understanding and ability to explain the basic stuff to a totally uninformed person would work. Also, drinking and camaraderie is a big part of games. Some people just go for the social aspect and vibes. 

edit: Here’s a cheat code for amateurs  I went to a Sox game with my cousin a few years ago when they sucked and didn’t know a single player so i consulted MLB the show player ratings to see who I should watch 

Oustanding stuff, thanks!  Had to click the link to confirm that you weren't just ******* with me with names like Dansby Swanson and Drew Smyly

• Like 1

Bears say they are going BPA in draft.

Do you believe them?   I kind of do.  For most part.  Not like they are going to draft 3 TEs even if next guy up is BPA.  And they definitely aren't taking QB with 9.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/25/chicago-bears-2023-nfl-draft-approach-best-player-available-ian-cunningham/?taid=64483f833c6fd1000149532d&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears say they are going BPA in draft.

Do you believe them?   I kind of do.  For most part.  Not like they are going to draft 3 TEs even if next guy up is BPA.  And they definitely aren't taking QB with 9.  

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/25/chicago-bears-2023-nfl-draft-approach-best-player-available-ian-cunningham/?taid=64483f833c6fd1000149532d&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

They'll draft best DL or OT available imo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

They'll draft best DL or OT available imo

I think so too. No matter who they take they’re gonna say “He was the highest player on our board” and “We were surprised he was still there.” When the board isn’t public, every player taken is BPA at their respective draft slot.  

• Like 3

Nice to see Parsons is a believer…on a side note for whatever reason I still find it insane that Parsons & Fields were in the same draft…Fields still feels like he is finding his way and I can’t remember a time before Parsons wasn’t terrifying QBs 😂

• Like 3

I'm not really sure where to put this, but the Bears interviewed a few current players about their draft experience and this quote from Jenkins stood out. I know he's an odd guy and I know money is the only thing 75% of these guys think about it, but it's just strange THIS is what he was thinking about on day 1 and 2 of the draft in 2021:

"Hopefully I get picked up at any time, the sooner the better," Jenkins said of his thoughts on draft day, "and hopefully it's not a state that has a lot of income tax. As long as my taxes won't be killing me, I'm good. You do have to think about when you get that signing bonus, how much is gonna go to taxes? Then I gotta look for a place to live. Different places like here in Chicago, rent is higher than different places like Cleveland or something. You can go down to Texas and get a house that's very cheap. So there's different factors that you actually start thinking about before you're drafted."

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not really sure where to put this, but the Bears interviewed a few current players about their draft experience and this quote from Jenkins stood out. I know he's an odd guy and I know money is the only thing 75% of these guys think about it, but it's just strange THIS is what he was thinking about on day 1 and 2 of the draft in 2021:

"Hopefully I get picked up at any time, the sooner the better," Jenkins said of his thoughts on draft day, "and hopefully it's not a state that has a lot of income tax. As long as my taxes won't be killing me, I'm good. You do have to think about when you get that signing bonus, how much is gonna go to taxes? Then I gotta look for a place to live. Different places like here in Chicago, rent is higher than different places like Cleveland or something. You can go down to Texas and get a house that's very cheap. So there's different factors that you actually start thinking about before you're drafted."

Except houses aren’t cheap in Texas anymore. My taxes are over 10k now for a 4 bedroom house on a quarter acre. 

I’m not familiar with Illinois taxes as a Michigander but there was a longtime rumor that athletes didn’t want to come to Chicago because the city’s taxes and retirement benefits or whatever it was were cumbersome than other cities but heard recently that that is a myth. Anyone know what I’m referring to that would be more familiar?

12 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’m not familiar with Illinois taxes as a Michigander but there was a longtime rumor that athletes didn’t want to come to Chicago because the city’s taxes and retirement benefits or whatever it was were cumbersome than other cities but heard recently that that is a myth. Anyone know what I’m referring to that would be more familiar?

IL has income tax which other states don’t have.  They have some of highest property taxes in nation which is a biggie. Top 2 or 3 I think.   They have high sales tax in addition.  In Chicago there is buyer and seller transfer tax.  In cook county you generally have to jump through a number of hoops to do anything of note.  

Chicago wouldn’t have anything to do with player retirement.  They can retire wherever.  

State and city finances are always strained primarily due to retirement promises to city and state workers over decades.  

All that being said, prior to about 4 or 5 years ago most of Chicago was still pretty awesome place to live.  I lived there for about 6 or 7 years or so in late 90s early 2000s.  I loved it for most part.  

Crime and lawlessness is going up a bit too much in places where it was previously pretty safe.  Including downtown and touristy areas.   It is hurting everything in a chain reaction.  

• Like 1

It’s funny being in a better spot now. Last year it was known that a lot of the UDFA’s after the draft very well could make the roster and see significant playing time. The more competent we get, the less likely it’s becoming every year. It was exciting for the Longshot guys to show their stuff but now I’d be surprised if 2 UDFA’s make the final roster. I say 2 cause I could see us liking Bagent over Peterman already. 

• Like 1

Another tiddly biddly I didn’t even think about: DJ Moore is the second DJ Moore to play for the bears and panthers in the last 15 years. The first one’s first name wasn’t Denniston though.