Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Bears twitter is confusing me once again…everyone wants us to trade for Chase Young…I have no idea why anyone would want Young over Montez Sweat if Washington is willing to trade one of those guys away.

I don’t think many would rather have Young. Just that Young seems like a guy Washington would part with versus Sweat.

Everyone is hoping he can suddenly be what he was supposed to be coming out.  But he hasn’t shown it all to date,  like other first rounders Leatherwood and N’keal.  The difference being his performance issues are more likely injury based.   Still small likelihood he does a radical turn to greatness.  

I don’t know that any of these Washington coaches or front office guys are there next season.  Probably not. 

So they might as well keep everyone, win as many games as they can and hope to pad their resumes. 

Tomorrows draft picks don’t help them much.  

• Like 2

We can throw a 3rdRound for Chase Young or wait for him next year.  Washington can only keep 1 of 2.  Ron Rivera will get fired if they don't win.  They don't have a QB right now, so it doesn't look good for him.

I had a feeling Washington was looking for the Bears to offer a boatload of draft picks, but it didn't happen.  So Washington can keep all those players and not have money for a QB....lolz ah hahahahahaahahah 🤣😁

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

We can throw a 3rdRound for Chase Young or wait for him next year.  Washington can only keep 1 of 2.  Ron Rivera will get fired if they don't win.  They don't have a QB right now, so it doesn't look good for him.

I had a feeling Washington was looking for the Bears to offer a boatload of draft picks, but it didn't happen.  So Washington can keep all those players and not have money for a QB....lolz ah hahahahahaahahah 🤣😁

Here’s where I’m at with Chase Young - if he were our own guy what would our opinion be of him after 3 years? My guess is it’d be one of extreme disappointment. Yes, that’s largely if not wholly because of injuries, but that’s a part of what we’d be trading for too.

If roles were reversed, and we were to be the ones trading Young away as he is right now and we got a 3 for him, would we think that’s a really good return? If so, being on the other side of that equation in reality, isn’t a 3 then probably too much to give up? I would think so.

IF Young is moved, my gut feeling is that they’ll get a mid-late rounder in 2024 for him with a conditional 2025 pick should he find health and his rookie year trajectory for success. I don’t think anyone’s gonna fall over themselves to pay a premium rate for where he’s at, regardless of what his pre-injury pedigree is. And honestly, for that return, they may as well just keep him in 2023 and if he blows up this year figure out a way to make the money work.

That’s only further underscored by WSH declining his 5th year thus making him a FA next March. If you are Poles, how much in draft capital are you giving up to pay Young $11M and maybe lose him next March vs. just signing Ngakoue to a 1-year deal for probably less money and having a more reliable return? I think Poles only trades for Young if he’s sure he’s part of the long term plan, and I’m not sure how he could come to that conclusion right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

100% agree with Azzy. It's also very out of step with their patient and measured approach to team building. He's an older high risk player that they're asking draft assets for, there is nothing about that situation that fits what the bears say they're about right now.

He's 24

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Here’s where I’m at with Chase Young - if he were our own guy what would our opinion be of him after 3 years? My guess is it’d be one of extreme disappointment. Yes, that’s largely if not wholly because of injuries, but that’s a part of what we’d be trading for too.

If roles were reversed, and we were to be the ones trading Young away as he is right now and we got a 3 for him, would we think that’s a really good return? If so, being on the other side of that equation in reality, isn’t a 3 then probably too much to give up? I would think so.

IF Young is moved, my gut feeling is that they’ll get a mid-late rounder in 2024 for him with a conditional 2025 pick should he find health and his rookie year trajectory for success. I don’t think anyone’s gonna fall over themselves to pay a premium rate for where he’s at, regardless of what his pre-injury pedigree is. And honestly, for that return, they may as well just keep him in 2023 and if he blows up this year figure out a way to make the money work.

That’s only further underscored by WSH declining his 5th year thus making him a FA next March. If you are Poles, how much in draft capital are you giving up to pay Young $11M and maybe lose him next March vs. just signing Ngakoue to a 1-year deal for probably less money and having a more reliable return? I think Poles only trades for Young if he’s sure he’s part of the long term plan, and I’m not sure how he could come to that conclusion right now. 

I would trade a 3rd for him if he plays 65% of the snap, if not, then a 4th.   If it ends up a 1yr thing, so be it.  If multi years, we got lucky.

Going back and watching some random All 22 patches on game pass.

Braxton Jones is a good run and RPO blocker, but a bad pass blocker.   I think his problem is mindset and technique.  He seems to think he can be as violent as he wants moving forward and he has to be passive on pass blocks.   He catches and gives up around two steps on nearly every hard rush and gets on his heels.  He is almost always on defensive and has a defensive mindset.  He loses all his violence on his pass sets,  This is what I didn’t like about him coming out.   His pass blocking. 

But I didn’t know him, only his tape.  Hearing him, I think he is exceptionally intelligent and can fix this.  I think he has physical talent to do so as well, you can see it in run blocking.  I am not certain about Oline coach yet.  But I think Jones will find answers on his own if he has to.   But he has to do and get better.  What I am seeing last year is just not good enough in passing game.

I think Bears fans are underrating Jaylon Johnson.  He is a good corner back.  A plus player.  He should be extended based on play.  Not sure about shoulder though.  

I think they are underrating Justin Jones too because dLine overall was so bad.   He is not good as in a plus player, but he is a solid player. 

I am interested to see how defense and Oline looks next year with new additions and how guys may or may not have improved themselves.

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Braxton Jones is a good run and RPO blocker, but a bad pass blocker.   I think his problem is mindset and technique.  He seems to think he can be as violent as he wants moving forward and he has to be passive on pass blocks.   He catches and gives up around two steps on nearly every hard rush and gets on his heels.  He is almost always on defensive and has a defensive mindset.  He loses all his violence on his pass sets,  This is what I didn’t like about him coming out.   His pass blocking. 

But I didn’t know him, only his tape.  Hearing him, I think he is exceptionally intelligent and can fix this.  I think he has physical talent to do so as well, you can see it in run blocking.  I am not certain about Oline coach yet.  But I think Jones will find answers on his own if he has to.   But he has to do and get better.  What I am seeing last year is just not good enough in passing game.

We were also SO run heavy, that you have to wonder if that throws things off at times. 

I think they still see what they like in Braxton as a LT, not that he will be all pro or anything but that he could be reliable. And their desire to give him another shot at LT this year is a big indicator to me that we are still in this building process for this roster, and not fulling looking toward winning.

I do also think that Braxton is a future piece of this OL, but its probably at LG as we likely move on from Tevin in the near future.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We were also SO run heavy, that you have to wonder if that throws things off at times. 

I think they still see what they like in Braxton as a LT, not that he will be all pro or anything but that he could be reliable. And their desire to give him another shot at LT this year is a big indicator to me that we are still in this building process for this roster, and not fulling looking toward winning.

I do also think that Braxton is a future piece of this OL, but its probably at LG as we likely move on from Tevin in the near future.

He is not often getting smoked around edges which is good.  He is just getting bullied too often.

In 2022 you could oft go through him and put him right in Justin's lap. 

Fact that they didn't go with Broderick and went with Wright tells me they like him as Wright seems best at RT only.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

This is a Blackhawks article (who also just secured the #1 pick and are probably a couple years behind us in terms of a rebuild), but I think if Poles had said a lot of the same things Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson is saying, a lot of us would be a lot more okay with the way the free agency period of the offseason went.

LINK: Davidson will be cautious in using Blackhawks' cap space (audacy.com)

One of the things that i think Davidson has been really good at is spreading out his draft picks, similar to what Poles did with the panthers trade. We (the blackhawks) have multiple first round picks and multiple second round picks for 4 straight drafts. That allows the team to constantly restock their prospect but also spread them out - including their contracts. having to potentially do 2 contracts/year vs. 5 in one year because they all came in the same year helps the future cap situation massively. also, having all those future picks allows you to accelerate the rebuild by trading for established talent without killing your drafts because of what you have. 

Here are the hawks drafts upcoming (and last years) - this is how you burn it down and rebuild.

2022 - 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 2 6ths, 7 

2023 - 2 1sts (UBER PROSPECT CONNAR FREAKIN BEDARD BABY, 4 2nds, 2 3rds, 4, 5, 7

2024 - 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 5, 6, 7

2025 - 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 3, 2 4ths, 6, 7

2026 - 1, 2 2nds, 3, 2 4ths, 5, 6, 7

Their abundance of cap space the next two years as well - since they only have Seth Jones on a long-term deal and their young guys wont be eligible for a new deal or will have really cheap 2nd contracts, will also allow for them to acquire players and picks from teams looking to dump cap hits. Trading Teuvo to get rid of 1 year of Bryan Bickell at $4M really hurt, but now we can be on the receiving end of those trades - that's already helped us when we got Mrazek and a 1st from TOR, Zaitsev and a 2nd/4th from OTT, Khudobin and a 2nd from DAL, Johnson a 2nd and dumping Seabrook's contract from TB, and Dickinson and a 2nd from VAN.

Edited by HuskieBear

Love that George Kittle (from Madison WI) is a die hard bears fan like this lol. If only that year we took that weebus Adam Shaheen, we’d gone with the other guy. Poles would’ve done it. 

• Like 1

Everyone trying to figure out trades for edges.

Marcus Davenport on same deal he signed with Vikings would be a blip on our cap space.

He's only 26.

I see little risk.  I see a lot of upside.  We should have done it IMO.  

Could have been a rotation of Davenport, Walker, Gipson and Robinson.

I guess we will see if he is hot garbage a lot of people said he was when we play MN.  I hope so now.

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone trying to figure out trades for edges.

Marcus Davenport on same deal he signed with Vikings would be a blip on our cap space.

He's only 26.

I see little risk.  I see a lot of upside.  We should have done it IMO.  

Could have been a rotation of Davenport, Walker, Gipson and Robinson.

I guess we will see if he is hot garbage a lot of people said he was when we play MN.  I hope so now.

Availability is an issue with him too.