Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone trying to figure out trades for edges.

Marcus Davenport on same deal he signed with Vikings would be a blip on our cap space.

He's only 26.

I see little risk.  I see a lot of upside.  We should have done it IMO.  

Could have been a rotation of Davenport, Walker, Gipson and Robinson.

I guess we will see if he is hot garbage a lot of people said he was when we play MN.  I hope so now.

who's to say we didn't try to sign him and he decided against it

29 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

who's to say we didn't try to sign him and he decided against it

Maybe.   Most Bears fans were against signing him when we discussed it in offseason. 

In fairness, that discussion was had in an environment where it was assumed by most we were signing a big money DL and OT - neither of which happened IRL.  

It would have been a high risk move for big money, long years, but what he ended up going for was very little risk.

Point is I would have liked to have done the deal MN did or something similar.  Maybe some more money and 2 years with a team void year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

CBS has an article regarding trade destinations for Quinnen Williams and has the Bears #1

I'd certainly make a big offer if I were Poles, but I doubt Poles will. I also doubt Williams goes anywhere

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/quinnen-williams-potential-landing-spots-where-jets-star-dt-could-end-up-after-cryptic-social-media-post/

I would have given Lamar Jackson slightly better odds of leaving Baltimore than I would give for Quinnen leaving Jets.  

If they were inclined to trade him, which there is very, very small likelihood, I think it would take two first round picks plus - minimum. 

He is a top 3 or 4 interior d lineman in league and he is young.

I remember people were saying he was a bust after his rookie year.   I teased Jets fans about trading him to us then.  

Mooney was on YouTube with the St. Brown brothers last night.  33rd team.

They talked about a lot of nonsense and video games, but some tidbits I got from memory that you guys will want.  

He said he has screws in his ankle.  He has been running and he is going to start cutting soon or just started.  ESB told him his ankle would be ‘locked’.  That was interesting.  

He said his goal was to disrespect players on other teams this year.  

He said he hasn’t been paid yet because of injury.  He put it a different way, he said they want to see me running. But that is my interpretation.  

He likes both slot and outside.  He likes two way go’s and space of slot, but likes the one on one’s of being outside.  

Edited by dll2000

I was just remembering a friend who I used to talk football with who is now deceased.  

He was obsessed with learning everything about Oline.   He even went to the C.O.O.L. clinics which is mainly for college and NFL O Line coaches.

He once said in response to a comment about Olinemen being less athletic than other positions, "That's okay, our jobs are different. I can't play guitar like Eddie Van Halen, but I bet I can disrupt his guitar playing."

He had a lot of funny sayings like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

Running is a good sign.  No need to rush him back.

Just keep Mooney on the outside and stay healthy.  Jones, Claypool, Moore, EQ can play inside.

Mooney is a great 3rd WR, definitely a #2 WR , but not sure if he will accept the #3 money lolz🤣

Agreed. The Bears will still be a run heavy team anyway. Moore will get the lion's share of targets. Claypool will be the #2 WR while Mooney recovers, and then the Bears have Scott and Jones Jr to use as weapons and deep threats. There is zero to gain by rushing him back.

And to compound the run first comment, I think the Bears run a hell of a lot of 12 personnel this season. Kmet and Tonyan are the best duo the Bears have had at TE since Olsen/Clark. I think using 12 personnel limits how much EQ or Pettis has to be on the field, and I am more comfortable with Tonyan running routes than I am either of those two anyway, and obviously he isn't an elite runblocker but still better than they are too.

I think if Mooney struggles this season he gets a 1 year deal offered to him. Nothing major but enough to let him have a shot at earning a big deal with a system he is familiar with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. The Bears will still be a run heavy team anyway. Moore will get the lion's share of targets. Claypool will be the #2 WR while Mooney recovers, and then the Bears have Scott and Jones Jr to use as weapons and deep threats. There is zero to gain by rushing him back.

And to compound the run first comment, I think the Bears run a hell of a lot of 12 personnel this season. Kmet and Tonyan are the best duo the Bears have had at TE since Olsen/Clark. I think using 12 personnel limits how much EQ or Pettis has to be on the field, and I am more comfortable with Tonyan running routes than I am either of those two anyway, and obviously he isn't an elite runblocker but still better than they are too.

I think if Mooney struggles this season he gets a 1 year deal offered to him. Nothing major but enough to let him have a shot at earning a big deal with a system he is familiar with.

I don't think Mooney will struggle bc he knows the offense better than last year.  If he can run 4.42 after the injury and cut as good as before, he will be a Bear for a long time if he doesn't want too much money.

4 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I don't think Mooney will struggle bc he knows the offense better than last year.  If he can run 4.42 after the injury and cut as good as before, he will be a Bear for a long time if he doesn't want too much money.

If he still has the speed and explosiveness then definitely. I'm just hedging this like an ACL injury since he has had such a long recovery already. If he plays at over 85% his full athletic potential then I'm feeling pretty damn good about him as a 3 this year.

I feel like a guy who is a big physical receiver in the Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson/Alston Jeffery mold doesn't lose as much with this kind of injury. They have huge bodies for the position and shield the ball, but I was bigger than Mooney as a freshman. His game relies on speed and great cuts so having a gimpy ankle is REALLY a potential issue for him.

I'm hoping they're just being super conservative with him to ensure it doesn't become a nagging issue.

• Like 2

Anyone know a way to go watch OTAs?  Maybe I should apply for a practice press pass since I post here so much, LOL.  I wonder if that would work?  

I would only have time to go to one or two because work is busy, but I miss going to football practices and coaching.  And picking kids for my team. 

I almost like the process of building and training a team for games than games themselves.  Maybe I do like it better if I am honest.   John Wooden thought that.  He said games were like final exams.  He didn’t want to do much in games, but was heavily involved in everything else.  

14 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

Personal opinion but I am not so sure he will be here long term…Poles & co have made it pretty clear they value size/length/physicality…Getsy comes from GB where for years they didn’t draft a WR under 200lbs…it wouldn’t shock me if they see Mooney as a nice complimentary piece but don’t want to give him anything like $15 million a year…could Scott do some of the deep ball things Mooney does and allow you to go out and get a bigger more physical WR across from Moore then resign Claypool for less to play out the slot? All while potentially getting yourself a 3rd round comp pick if someone signs him to a big deal? That sounds more likely at this point IMO than us spending real money on him

• Like 1