Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

32 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely going to put a lot of pressure on defenses. Too much speed to sit on short routes (in no way do I think Getsy is going to be too cowardly to attack deep), the OL isn't elite but pretty damn nasty, two TEs who can move the chains, a few WRs that are super explosive with the ball in their hands, a RB committee that has 3 tough runners, and the QB is one of the most explosive runners in the league. I don't believe Fields is in the MVP talk by any means, but he has one hell of an opportunity this year to make a statement that he is the franchise QB the Bears have been after since the 1950s.

If Fields can be just an average passer this should be the best offense the Bears have had since 2013.

You can't load box now.   You have to play with at least one deep safety and probably two at all times.  Or you risk 6 points.   DC's hate that.   They want you to drive field.   They want everything in front of them.    They all say we are going to be more aggressive this year in preseason press conferences and almost none of them mean it.   They want to make you work for every first down and stay disciplined all the way down the field.   No quick scores is name of game.    Against '22 Bears they didn't have to sit back.   They were only worried about 1 guy on field at any time in receiving game.   Corner/safety.   Done.    

This new WR line up is a game changer.  2-3 players will be on field with deep speed.  

So many pundits are expecting us to be Ravens 2.0.  Like we were last year.   I don't expect that at all.   I will actually be pissed if that happens.

That was done out of necessity and frustration.   We couldn't move ball conventionally because our WR and OL was too weak collectively to compete against competition they were facing.  So what actually happened was one of best athletes in league put team on his back and played super hero ball.   Not sure why some people can't see that.   

This will be a Shanahan based scheme now with added dimension of a scrambling QB and an occasional designed run to keep defense's thinking about it.   Which will help passing game.   

This will NOT be Fields left, right and middle again.   It better not be.   It cannot be, because Fields does not avoid contact well.  Lamar Jackson is much better at that.   He will not last.

If Velus can get better, against every one's expectation, even more so.

I think Velus played very well down stretch.  I think he gets way to much disrespect from Bears fans.  You know how difficult it is to have even one or two 30+ yard plays in NFL?   Very.  They are all fast and take good angles.   You have to be tremendously fast to do so.   He had a bunch in his first season.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Fields has a lot of room for improvement as a passer but one of this strengths already is definitely his deep ball.  Probably why they are loading up on speed, playing to Fields' strength.

Yes, and If Fields can connect everything from 5 yards or less, I think he would at least have a 63% completion rate.

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is the sort of swing I like to see.

*** yes - i really wanted us to draft him. he ~should~ be on the team above tonges and allen. He offers tremendous upside as a move/slot TE and was a ST STUD at UCF because of his size/speed. really surprised LA gave up on him given his potential and their *ahem* lack of players

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

*** yes - i really wanted us to draft him. he ~should~ be on the team above tonges and allen. He offers tremendous upside as a move/slot TE and was a ST STUD at UCF because of his size/speed. really surprised LA gave up on him given his potential and their *ahem* lack of players

I can tell you that everyone was pumped for him, but he was extremely underwhelming. He has tantalizing measurables and potential, especially as a move TE. But he never really converted that to the little stuff on the field (alignment/routes/etc) and then was never really healthy.

Good chance to take, Id keep your expectations low though

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You can't load box now.   You have to play with at least one deep safety and probably two at all times.  Or you risk 6 points.   DC's hate that.   They want you to drive field.   They want everything in front of them.    They all say we are going to be more aggressive this year in preseason press conferences and almost none of them mean it.   They want to make you work for every first down and stay disciplined all the way down the field.   No quick scores is name of game.    Against '22 Bears they didn't have to sit back.   They were only worried about 1 guy on field at any time in receiving game.   Corner/safety.   Done.    

This new WR line up is a game changer.  2-3 players will be on field with deep speed.  

So many pundits are expecting us to be Ravens 2.0.  Like we were last year.   I don't expect that at all.   I will actually be pissed if that happens.

That was done out of necessity and frustration.   We couldn't move ball conventionally because our WR and OL was too weak collectively to compete against competition they were facing.  So what actually happened was one of best athletes in league put team on his back and played super hero ball.   Not sure why some people can't see that.   

This will be a Shanahan based scheme now with added dimension of a scrambling QB and an occasional designed run to keep defense's thinking about it.   Which will help passing game.   

This will NOT be Fields left, right and middle again.   It better not be.   It cannot be, because Fields does not avoid contact well.  Lamar Jackson is much better at that.   He will not last.

If Velus can get better, against every one's expectation, even more so.

I think Velus played very well down stretch.  I think he gets way to much disrespect from Bears fans.  You know how difficult it is to have even one or two 30+ yard plays in NFL?   Very.  They are all fast and take good angles.   You have to be tremendously fast to do so.   He had a bunch in his first season.  

Read/watch video saying Velus is on a hot seat.  I don't know why people are saying that.

1. Velus can get 40yrds on the return.  He just needs to catch it before running.

2. Velus can get 40yrds catch.

3. Velus can get 40yrds jet sweep.

Scott has not done it at the NFL level....   just saying lolz😁

Velus can be with the Bears for life if he can do 2 of 3 every game or better.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Read/watch video saying Velus is on a hot seat.  I don't know why people are saying that.

1. Velus can get 40yrds on the return.  He just needs to catch it before running.

2. Velus can get 40yrds catch.

3. Velus can get 40yrds jet sweep.

Neither has Velus

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

And Velus has? 

43 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

sure, if anyone is averaging 80-120 all purpose yards per game, they could be a huge asset, but nothing Velus has shown so far says he could be that guy (or anything close)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

And Velus has? 

sure, if anyone is averaging 80-120 all purpose yards per game, they could be a huge asset, but nothing Velus has shown so far says he could be that guy (or anything close)

Also if Velus does that, he'll probably be an All Pro a few times 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Neither has Velus

Velus did the jet sweep and TD (I think it was a TD, can't remember, but it was a big play 😁and don't ask me to search for detail...).

Velus did the big return and the big catch.

I didn't check the yards, but those were big plays.

All he has to do is do 2 of 3 things a game and the fans will love him.

Scott has not done anything, like ZERO, Nothing... nada.... lolz 🤣

Scott has not even signed a contract or suited up ...yet lolz🤣

Edited by JibjeResearch

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

And Velus has? 

Yes, velus did made plays.  He is capable.  I didn't check the total yard play, so it might not be 40s.

You guys nitpick little stuffs too much lolz😁