Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Personal opinion but I am not so sure he will be here long term…Poles & co have made it pretty clear they value size/length/physicality…Getsy comes from GB where for years they didn’t draft a WR under 200lbs…it wouldn’t shock me if they see Mooney as a nice complimentary piece but don’t want to give him anything like $15 million a year…could Scott do some of the deep ball things Mooney does and allow you to go out and get a bigger more physical WR across from Moore then resign Claypool for less to play out the slot? All while potentially getting yourself a 3rd round comp pick if someone signs him to a big deal? That sounds more likely at this point IMO than us spending real money on him

I agree.  I hope Mooney stays a Bear as a WR3.  He's a great #3 (good#2) with character.

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Personal opinion but I am not so sure he will be here long term…Poles & co have made it pretty clear they value size/length/physicality…Getsy comes from GB where for years they didn’t draft a WR under 200lbs…it wouldn’t shock me if they see Mooney as a nice complimentary piece but don’t want to give him anything like $15 million a year…could Scott do some of the deep ball things Mooney does and allow you to go out and get a bigger more physical WR across from Moore then resign Claypool for less to play out the slot? All while potentially getting yourself a 3rd round comp pick if someone signs him to a big deal? That sounds more likely at this point IMO than us spending real money on him

Mooney also has a 1055 yard season on his resume as a WR2, is just 25, and Poles has raved about him basically since he got the job last year. If he’s healthy I think Mooney is still in the driver’s seat for a future here beyond 2023 ahead of Claypool, especially with Claypool himself having done very little so far since arriving. Also, this offseason’s market showed that WR2s aren’t getting big money. Lazard & Meyers got $11M per. Juju got $8.5M per and has a longer history of success than Mooney does. Were Mooney to be healthy for 2023 and to produce as he has previously I think he ends up somewhere in or close to that range which is totally palatable. 

Also, Claypool isn’t a slot. He produced as a WR2 his first 2 years outside and then was moved inside in 2022 in PIT and his production dropped notably before he was traded here. If he stays beyond 2023 I think it’ll be as an outside guy. 

To me it’s less Poles valuing size/length/physicality specifically than that it is that Poles is a RAS guy. He values elite traits, of which Mooney has one (speed), and while Mooney is well below ideal RAS measurements he rates GREAT on explosion and ELITE in speed. 

1-D46-FB34-4372-404-C-922-C-578109-F4455

8773-FFB6-DFB2-4-F90-8729-7-A98-D4-FE52-

Athletically, Mooney and Scott are very similar. Scott is intriguing for sure but at this point he’s just a prospect, and given that he and Velus (also drafted by this regime) also have similar skill sets he’s gotta beat out Velus before he sets sights on taking Mooney’s spot long term. If he shows out like a true WR2/3 as a rookie then yeah, the Mooney decision gets way easier, but I think that’s pretty unlikely too unless Mooney is really limited this year (taking an extension off the table on its own). Absent that, a few splash plays over 4 months probably isn’t going to be nearly enough to make a healthy Mooney expendable.

It’s a great thing that we seemingly have actual options and legitimately intriguing depth at the position. But, all of them outside of Moore have one question or another about their long term viability and none of this has even made it to the practice field yet. These are important questions, but also likely questions that will answer themselves over the next 7 months. 

I think Mooney will be fine.  He is a very driven person and hard worker.  Only Bears receiver in Pace era to hit ground running from draft.   

Poles is smart enough to see it.  I also don’t think you can keep him from starting lineup.  Even if he gets bounced in camp due to recovery he will fight his way back in.

Money ask or injury will be only thing that would keep him from being resigned.   

• Like 1

I didn’t really keep track of where Gordon was playing and when last year. 

I see pundits and media saying he was better in slot and I see some saying he was better outside.  

Most are saying he is going to play slot this year. That makes sense since Stevenson left GA because he didn’t want to play slot.  

What games did he play which? Anyone know? Is there a non paid website that says?  So I can go back and watch.

What did you guys think?

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I didn’t really keep track of where Gordon was playing and when last year. 

I see pundits and media saying he was better in slot and I see some saying he was better outside.  

Most are saying he is going to play slot this year. That makes sense since Stevenson left GA because he didn’t want to play slot.  

What games did he play which? Anyone know? Is there a non paid website that says?  So I can go back and watch.

What did you guys think?

I don’t have numbers on it, but he seemed to be outside far more toward the end of the year when all the DBs were hurt. Last 3-4 weeks or so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t have numbers on it, but he seemed to be outside far more toward the end of the year when all the DBs were hurt. Last 3-4 weeks or so. 

Felt like out of necessity, as well as a chance to see where he was as an boundary guy, more than any indication of future plans.