Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

So, I have seen a bunch of stuff on social media in regards to Jaylon Johnson missing part of OTAs. I realize this may not be a popular stance on this but that's okay. Basically he has been getting ridiculed due to missing last week. He is back this week and spoke with the media about the reason he has missed time. In a nutshell he stated that he took time off to be with his daughter. That the Bears can always replace him with another corner but his daughter can't replace him as a dad and that he takes his role as a father very seriously. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH HIS STANCE. I think that people quickly forget that:

1. These OTAs are voluntary as negotiated by their labor union.

2. Being a parent is the most important job that a man can have, period. 

3. These athletes are people first, with families, and are not here strictly for our entertainment purposes only.

I heard David Haugh state that he wondered what his teammates thought about that excuse for missing the voluntary practices. If I were him I wouldn't give a **** what they thought about it. My daughters and my grandchildren come first and I don't care how much money is involved. End rant.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

So, I have seen a bunch of stuff on social media in regards to Jaylon Johnson missing part of OTAs. I realize this may not be a popular stance on this but that's okay. Basically he has been getting ridiculed due to missing last week. He is back this week and spoke with the media about the reason he has missed time. In a nutshell he stated that he took time off to be with his daughter. That the Bears can always replace him with another corner but his daughter can't replace him as a dad and that he takes his role as a father very seriously. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH HIS STANCE. I think that people quickly forget that:

3. These athletes are people first, with families, and are not here strictly for our entertainment purposes only.

I heard David Haugh state that he wondered what his teammates thought about that excuse for missing the voluntary practices. If I were him I wouldn't give a **** what they thought about it. My daughters and my grandchildren come first and I don't care how much money is involved. End rant.

Here is deal.

I 100% agree with life/work balance.  That is why I won't take just any job.  But I understand I am sacrificing better paying jobs in doing so.  

He can miss voluntary OTAs.   Just like in certain jobs you can use all you available sick and personal days.

But know you are always being evaluated by those you work for.   

In NFL particularly they are always looking to get a) younger and b) cheaper.

If you can be adequately replaced with a younger cheaper player you will be.

Right now Bears have no one younger, as good or cheaper than Johnson they would rather have.   So he can miss voluntary time and Bears will be okay with it.  

If he was in non-guaranteed part of a later contract - he may want to rethink things.   

He is also auditioning for other teams if he becomes a FA.   I know it's voluntary.   All coaches want players there.   It is ultra competitive for them too.   They want every minute, every second of practice time they can legally get.  Even the voluntary time.

You know every minute of a practice is scripted.

Just way it is.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here is deal.

I 100% agree with life/work balance.  That is why I won't take just any job.  But I understand I am sacrificing better paying jobs in doing so.  

He can miss voluntary OTAs.   Just like in certain jobs you can use all you available sick and personal days.

But know you are always being evaluated by those you work for.   

In NFL particularly they are always looking to get a) younger and b) cheaper.

If you can be adequately replaced with a younger cheaper player you will be.

Right now Bears have no one younger, as good or cheaper than Johnson they would rather have.   So he can miss voluntary time and Bears will be okay with it.  

If he was in non-guaranteed part of a later contract - he may want to rethink things.   

He is also auditioning for other teams if he becomes a FA.   I know it's voluntary.   All coaches want players there.   It is ultra competitive for them too.   They want every minute, every second of practice time they can legally get.  Even the voluntary time.

You know every minute of a practice is scripted.

Just way it is.

I completely understand all of this. I simply do not agree with it. It is similar in a lot of high paying jobs because those positions are limited and therefore competitive. It's a matter of what an individual values more...money or family. You see athletes families fall apart all the time due to the absence of the athlete from the family (Michael Jordan and Tom Brady immediately come to mind). I choose family and it's not a hard decision for me.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

I completely understand all of this. I simply do not agree with it. It is similar in a lot of high paying jobs because those positions are limited and therefore competitive. It's a matter of what an individual values more...money or family. You see athletes families fall apart all the time due to the absence of the athlete from the family (Michael Jordan and Tom Brady immediately come to mind). I choose family and it's not a hard decision for me.

I get it.

Give me God and Family.   

I have to support my family so I need to earn more for them and their needs and wants, but if it was just me I would be fine with making just enough to buy food and pay rent or mortgage and wi-fi for a small place.     

For 98% of my entertainment all I really need is a library card and a bike.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

**** David Haugh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He also said Mervis should be sent down to AAA by the Cubs, as if Matt ******* Mervis is even in the top 100 reasons why the Cubs stink. Haugh has been spewing bull**** for years now

When i first got twitter i started following all the beat guys for each sport and he was the first one i started unfollowing. he would just spew negativity and absolutely ridiculous old man takes all the time and provided nothing of substance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

When i first got twitter i started following all the beat guys for each sport and he was the first one i started unfollowing. he would just spew negativity and absolutely ridiculous old man takes all the time and provided nothing of substance. 

He is without a doubt my least favorite Score personality. Some of the others may get on my nerves sometimes but I absolutely detest the man.

16 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

He is without a doubt my least favorite Score personality. Some of the others may get on my nerves sometimes but I absolutely detest the man.

I literally stopped listening to the morning show when Haugh replaced Hanley. I find him to be very smug and arrogant and extreme. I don’t particularly like Mully either but Haugh is insufferable. I get it - being contrarian or polarizing drives content especially with the younger generation (as I say that I’m only 40 so I’m not old per se). But at least for me that **** is such a turnoff.

For years my favorite Score host has been Laurence Holmes. He’s got his opinions like anyone does and I don’t agree with them all, but the discussions are rational and logical, and not manufactured conflict. He’s not out trying to make headlines or break news or do bits. He just talks sports in an educated way. Crazy concept, right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I literally stopped listening to the morning show when Haugh replaced Hanley. I find him to be very smug and arrogant and extreme. I don’t particularly like Mully either but Haugh is insufferable. I get it - being contrarian or polarizing drives content especially with the younger generation (as I say that I’m only 40 so I’m not old per se). But at least for me that **** is such a turnoff.

For years my favorite Score host has been Laurence Holmes. He’s got his opinions like anyone does and I don’t agree with them all, but the discussions are rational and logical, and not manufactured conflict. He’s not out trying to make headlines or break news or do bits. He just talks sports in an educated way. Crazy concept, right? 

Holmes is also my favorite host. I agree with everything you about both him and Haugh. Holmes just discusses the topics in such a professional, intellectual, and non-confrontational manner. I also think that he reels in Bernstein some (who is also intellectual but can be obnoxious and condescending a lot of times). 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I find him to be very smug and arrogant and extreme.

this is it - he always talks like he is the only one that is correct. would constantly call out wrong decisions but his were always right, but never praised correct decisions or went back when he was wrong (which was often)