Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Might be something, might be nothing, but I'm fairly certain we're getting a bigger name free agent in the next day or so if the things I'm hearing check out. 

We’ll spill the beans so I can be disappointed when it doesn’t happen, and if it does you get all the credit. 

10 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

We’ll spill the beans so I can be disappointed when it doesn’t happen, and if it does you get all the credit. 

Not much I can really spill, sadly. I don't even know who the player would be if it is indeed the expected fa signing I think it is. 

• Like 1

I learned a lesson in college. I probably knew it before, but just didn’t really care.  If someone above you likes you they will do everything in their power, or a lot anyway, to see you succeed.  I started visiting professors during their office hours and asking questions.  I sat in front row in class.  I participated in discussions.  And viola.  I started getting straight As.  I still had same mastery of material as I always had.   But I got mostly Bs before.  

Lucas Patrick understands this.  

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I learned a lesson in college. I probably knew it before, but just didn’t really care.  If someone above you likes you they will do everything in their power, or a lot anyway, to see you succeed.  I started visiting professors during their office hours and asking questions.  I sat in front row in class.  I participated in discussions.  And viola.  I started getting straight As.  I still had same mastery of material as I always had.   But I got mostly Bs before.  

Lucas Patrick understands this.  

Some of the longest tenured (backups) athletes in the league made it as long as they did not because they’re talented, but because they participate, pay attention, and understand. 

• Like 2

Justin Fields has a bit of moxie to him of late. He’s gone from somber and quiet to writing checks. The other day he was asked how he ranks amongst best scrambling qbs ever and he said top 5. When asked about the ‘record’ of no bears qb ever eclipsing 4k, he said he will break it, this year. My biggest concern with him besides being broken RG3 style by our **** team was destruction of confidence, but it appears he has no shortage of that. 

• Like 4

Welp its been a week, so I'm probably taking an L for my prediction of a signing last week. 

Is possible it is still happening by this weekend, but seems like a long time given the info I had, so more likely I was just wrong. 

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Welp its been a week, so I'm probably taking an L for my prediction of a signing last week. 

Is possible it is still happening by this weekend, but seems like a long time given the info I had, so more likely I was just wrong. 

Keep extending the deadline and you will eventually be right. 

there are rumblings were talking to former Steelers slot corner Arthur Maulet 

20 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Some of the longest tenured (backups) athletes in the league made it as long as they did not because they’re talented, but because they participate, pay attention, and understand. 

Absolutely. The Lucas Patricks of the world - guys not blessed with otherworldly physical tools - make it to the league and survive because they bust their *** every day. They make it by outworking you on and off the field and doing things the right way. As a team you want that example for the rest of the room. Players respect the guys who grind every day immensely.

My son played in one of the Ripken baseball tournaments last year in Myrtle Beach and at the pre-tournament coaches meeting we had Billy Ripken and Jim Thome do a Q&A with us, and one of the coaches asked about messaging they give to kids. Billy told a story about how one of the best things his dad ever told him growing up was, “Look - you’re not him (pointing to Cal at like 6’4” 200 lb of chiseled muscle)But if you do things the right way you can get there too.” It’s super cliche, but he’s 100% right - hard work takes zero talent. Guys like Patrick are a testament to that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Justin Fields has a bit of moxie to him of late. He’s gone from somber and quiet to writing checks. The other day he was asked how he ranks amongst best scrambling qbs ever and he said top 5. When asked about the ‘record’ of no bears qb ever eclipsing 4k, he said he will break it, this year. My biggest concern with him besides being broken RG3 style by our **** team was destruction of confidence, but it appears he has no shortage of that. 

I love that he has that swagger to him. He said day 1 that he was “built for this” and he’s certainly showing all the intangibles. If we can get the OSU passing version of Fields at this level he legitimately has the potential to be the most dangerous player in the entire NFL, and he knows it. WR athletic ability with LB size and precision passing ability is Madden create-a-player stuff. 

• Like 2