Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

Bears still have to spend 25 million to meet the league minimum by March 2024. 

Obviously a lot of guys are FAs after this season.  35 I think.  So a LOT of decisions have to be made between now and then.

Kmet, Mooney or Claypool and Jaylon are biggies.  Once one gets signed it may cause animosity amongst others as well.  

Other under radar guys are up to like Justin Jones, Santos, Billings, Tonyan, etc. guys that may matter more than people think during and after this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Julius Peppers is up for HOF consideration this year. I don’t know why I felt underwhelmed with his performance in Chicago. Looking back at the stats, he had 37 sacks in 4 years. Not even bad. And he was in his 30’s. I just had this bias against him because I thought he took so many plays off. He was good everywhere he went though. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I saw Julius Peppers is up for HOF consideration this year. I don’t know why I felt underwhelmed with his performance in Chicago. Looking back at the stats, he had 37 sacks in 4 years. Not even bad. And he was in his 30’s. I just had this bias against him because I thought he took so many plays off. He was good everywhere he went though. 

Peppers should easily be a 1st ballot HoFer...I think the reason many of us never felt as strongly about Peppers as our other elite defenders was that he wasn't homegrown...Urlacher, Tillman, Briggs, Brown, Harris were all drafted here and you will always have a fondness for guys who developed within your own franchise...we really were spoiled...

Also didn't help where he went next. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Peppers should easily be a 1st ballot HoFer...I think the reason many of us never felt as strongly about Peppers as our other elite defenders was that he wasn't homegrown...Urlacher, Tillman, Briggs, Brown, Harris were all drafted here and you will always have a fondness for guys who developed within your own franchise...we really were spoiled...

Also didn't help where he went next. 

Unrealistic expectations and excitement for him too. With the money spent and caliber he had, I think 13-15 sacks a year was the goal. Double digits every season at the least. He was good though. I think it didn’t help his cause that the defense started declining around the time he got here. 

Say we get the #2 pick this year from the Panthers (I don't think they will be bad, but this is a thought experiment), and we are an 8-10 win team and Fields plays well, do we take Marvin Harrison Jr. at 2 or do we trade back again for more assets? Both enticing options, imo. 

9 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Say we get the #2 pick this year from the Panthers (I don't think they will be bad, but this is a thought experiment), and we are an 8-10 win team and Fields plays well, do we take Marvin Harrison Jr. at 2 or do we trade back again for more assets? Both enticing options, imo. 

It depends on how the year goes. Does Braxton Jones play well? If not, they could take an OT there. Do they take Jared Verse if there is a serious lack of pass rush?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, malak1 said:

The trade back is more tantalizing than last draft. I’m assuming Drake Maye doesn’t damage his stock with this and people still assume Harrison is a HOF potential guy. The bears could garner a wealth of riches trading back again. Or they could get Harrison, who I have no doubt has the ability to become the most prolific bears receiver of all time, maybe even by double. 

6 minutes ago, malak1 said:

If Jones locks down LT and Wright looks good at RT that makes Fashanu easier to pass on (he is my OT1 from the last 2 drafts and 2024). A small trade down would offer up Bowers, who will play more of a WR role than TE and might fit well with Moore and whoever is kept between Mooney/Claypool.

Along with the QBs, Harrsion, and likely Verse being off the board with a trade down that means likely having a shot on Turner. A lot of talk will be made about him being too light but I think Flus/Poles showed they will generate passrush even if not a perfect 'fit.' Tonga didn't fit apparently but they got Billings, Ngakoue doesn't fit but he is the highest paid DL this year for the Bears, etc.

If Fields plays well then I can look past Harrison more easily. If Fields doesn't look much better than last year then I am looking at whoever the QB that is left (Maye seems like a lock there). If he doesn't get it then I'll field offers and see if I can get into that bucket of players. I think I could be pretty damn happy with any one of those guys and a future pick, especially if able to get a 2025 1st for potential trade leverage.

5 hours ago, malak1 said:

There are so many factors here. How are we viewing Fields post-2023? What comes of our non-DJ WRs in 2023? What do we get in FA?

Taking MHJ at 2 to pair with DJ gives us a true 1 in DJ plus the closest thing we’ve seen to Julio Jones as a prospect in the past decade, with the latter in a deal that would essentially be for $8M/year for the first 4 years. To move out of that spot would take A LOT for me. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

There are so many factors here. How are we viewing Fields post-2023? What comes of our non-DJ WRs in 2023? What do we get in FA?

Taking MHJ at 2 to pair with DJ gives us a true 1 in DJ plus the closest thing we’ve seen to Julio Jones as a prospect in the past decade, with the latter in a deal that would essentially be for $8M/year for the first 4 years. To move out of that spot would take A LOT for me. 

especially with those guys getting $20M+/year now. grab a true #1 (MHJ is a true 1) and you get a guy for a total of $56M (4 years plus option) thats a steal. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 8:27 AM, malak1 said:

I was really hoping Panthers would pull a Nagy/Pace and start Dalton this year then panic about 3 or 4 games in and put Young in to starting lineup without adequate preparation on a demoralized and dysfunctional team.   

But no.  They aren’t as stupid as we are.   They also added enough FAs to some underrated young players in a weak division to win a number of games unfortunately.

Our best hope for a top 5 pick from Carolina IMO at this point would be a result of too many injuries.  Particularly to QB.   I am not hoping anyone gets injured.  Just saying that is what it will likely take.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was really hoping Panthers would pull a Nagy/Pace and start Dalton this year then panic about 3 or 4 games in and put Young in to starting lineup without adequate preparation on a demoralized and dysfunctional team.   

But no.  They aren’t as stupid as we are.   They also added enough FAs to some underrated young players in a weak division to win a number of games unfortunately.

Our best hope for a top 5 pick from Carolina IMO at this point would be a result of too many injuries.  Particularly to QB.   I am not hoping anyone gets injured.  Just saying that is what it will likely take.  

That exact scenario was my preseason hope for them.  I think I used "Nagy" as a verb, insinuating that it would be gerat for the Bears if the Panthers "Nagied" it up. 

• Like 2

What do you guys use for streaming services for watching Bear games?

I used DAZN the last few years but they decided to keep charging my credit card after i canceled after the season was over like i do every year. When i phoned in, I got nothing but "that cant be happening".

So looking for another company to use.