Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

LOL. True.  Chip Kelly changed the league by showing it could be done.  I can’t tell you how many experts said in countless interviews over about 2 decades that you couldn’t run college spread plays in NFL because LBs were too fast.  

Andy Reid adjusted and made it actually work though by combining with Bill Walsh west coast concepts who adapted from Don Coryell and so on …

https://x.com/spreadoffense/status/1695417610534273256?s=61&t=v6LV1OopIM988_WLEdjCHA

https://x.com/maddenairraid/status/1695420370403090755?s=61&t=v6LV1OopIM988_WLEdjCHA

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Teams probably can't wait to give a 7th round pick for this bum

Not saying teams should be lining up for him, but I don’t know that I’d call him a bum. He flashed significantly in every preseason game and is a year removed from a season with 7 sacks and 5 FF.

Nobody will deny that was really underwhelming in 2022 but he’s played like a man possessed throughout the preseason, and given that it’s come at a position where we are pretty desperate for playmakers I’m frankly pretty shocked the team has remained as low on him as they seem to have. He’s been our best DL in August and despite that the team seems like they’ve decided long ago that he wasn’t going to be a part of their 2023. 

People are really angry with Jenkins.  Many are writing him off as a White situation.  I don’t think he wants to be hurt.  Also White never demonstrated he was good. Jenkins at his best has shown he is really good.  

It is really disappointing though.  When he was healthy this summer even without Davis in lineup the OL looked best it had in many years.  Many years of really crappy OL play to sit through and watch our QBs and RBs be blamed for it.

Adding Davis in reg. season had me excited. 

With Jenkins out both LG and C become average at best and likely below avg.  in my opinion.  

I am really hoping he comes back and finishes strong.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People are really angry with Jenkins.  Many are writing him off as a White situation.  I don’t think he wants to be hurt.  Also White never demonstrated he was good. Jenkins at his best has shown he is really good.  

It is really disappointing though.  When he was healthy this summer even without Davis in lineup the OL looked best it had in many years.  Many years of really crappy OL play to sit through and watch our QBs and RBs be blamed for it.

Adding Davis in reg. season had me excited. 

With Jenkins out both LG and C become average at best and likely below avg.  in my opinion.  

I am really hoping he comes back and finishes strong.  

Normally I'd agree but it's weird to know he is out 7 weeks from the time the injury was announced but Poles and Eberflus are saying the injury isn't serious and he'll be fine soon. What type of injury is 7 weeks out but isn't serious?

Jenkins has had such a weird journey.  I can recall wanting him with the Bears first round pick in 2021, had no idea there was an injury history.  His play on the field is so great, high energy and I feel like he gets into the DLine's head. But he's off the field so much, and with such weird injuries.  Apparently he pulled both calves (how!?) but is now wearing a walking boot on one leg. If it were up to me the plan going forward would be to keep him but have a young player drafted to be right behind him.  Lots of us wanted them to draft a C this year, and I really wish they had as the OL would be less precarious (or we would have just killed off a fifth center, who knows)

• Like 1