Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People are really angry with Jenkins.  Many are writing him off as a White situation.  I don’t think he wants to be hurt.  Also White never demonstrated he was good. Jenkins at his best has shown he is really good.  

It is really disappointing though.  When he was healthy this summer even without Davis in lineup the OL looked best it had in many years.  Many years of really crappy OL play to sit through and watch our QBs and RBs be blamed for it.

Adding Davis in reg. season had me excited. 

With Jenkins out both LG and C become average at best and likely below avg.  in my opinion.  

I am really hoping he comes back and finishes strong.  

If anyone thought our OL was fixed or fine earlier in the off-season, they were delusional. Jenkins is going to get hurt every year of his career. He has talent but it’s what he’s always going to have to deal with. Moving Whitehair back to center wasn’t going to be sunshine and rainbows. Davis has also only played one complete season in his career. The line was enough to be relatively comfortable if we’d addressed it better with sufficient depth for when the oft injured guys surprisingly get injured, but we really did nothing and now we’re gonna pay for it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Normally I'd agree but it's weird to know he is out 7 weeks from the time the injury was announced but Poles and Eberflus are saying the injury isn't serious and he'll be fine soon. What type of injury is 7 weeks out but isn't serious?

No idea

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

If anyone thought our OL was fixed or fine earlier in the off-season, they were delusional. Jenkins is going to get hurt every year of his career. He has talent but it’s what he’s always going to have to deal with. Moving Whitehair back to center wasn’t going to be sunshine and rainbows. Davis has also only played one complete season in his career. The line was enough to be relatively comfortable if we’d addressed it better with sufficient depth for when the oft injured guys surprisingly get injured, but we really did nothing and now we’re gonna pay for it

Yeah I wish we'd really focused most of (if not all of) our efforts towards the offensive side of the ball this year. Priority #1 for me should have been the evaluation of Fields, and doing everything in our power to remove any possible excuses he could have.  I realize the defense was catastrophically bad last year (and I feel a hell of a lot better about it overall now), but it still feels like a missed opportunity on what is essentially still a rebuilding year before our real competitive window would (hopefully) open up next season.

Addressing RT is all well and good, but I came away from last season thinking we needed at least 3 starters on the OL, and likely a 4th guy who would be filling in for Jenkins when he inevitably went down with injury. We really only brought in Wright for one of those spots. In theory Davis should fill a second, but he's been injured the entire time so far. Carter has somewhat developed into a servicable backup for Jenkins, but he's still not someone you want as a full timer for any length of time. Then we left a big giant gaping black hole at center, which was far and away our biggest weakness the last 2 year, and by far my biggest critique of the franchise this season is passing on JMS for Dexter and Stevenson, given the catastrophic need to get a damn Center in here.  Basically we needed 4 OL and we only actually picked up 1  of them.... and the excuses for Fields have already been flowing like Niagra Falls because of it, and we're not even in the regular season yet. I just don't understand how you can expect a team who wants to emphasize a heavy ground game, with deep long developing passing concepts (because the QB can't run a quick game), when the OL is the weakest unit on the entire roster by far.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Yeah I wish we'd really focused most of (if not all of) our efforts towards the offensive side of the ball this year. Priority #1 for me should have been the evaluation of Fields, and doing everything in our power to remove any possible excuses he could have.  I realize the defense was catastrophically bad last year (and I feel a hell of a lot better about it overall now), but it still feels like a missed opportunity on what is essentially still a rebuilding year before our real competitive window would (hopefully) open up next season.

Addressing RT is all well and good, but I came away from last season thinking we needed at least 3 starters on the OL, and likely a 4th guy who would be filling in for Jenkins when he inevitably went down with injury. We really only brought in Wright for one of those spots. In theory Davis should fill a second, but he's been injured the entire time so far. Carter has somewhat developed into a servicable backup for Jenkins, but he's still not someone you want as a full timer for any length of time. Then we left a big giant gaping black hole at center, which was far and away our biggest weakness the last 2 year, and by far my biggest critique of the franchise this season is passing on JMS for Dexter and Stevenson, given the catastrophic need to get a damn Center in here.  Basically we needed 4 OL and we only actually picked up 1  of them.... and the excuses for Fields have already been flowing like Niagra Falls because of it, and we're not even in the regular season yet. I just don't understand how you can expect a team who wants to emphasize a heavy ground game, with deep long developing passing concepts (because the QB can't run a quick game), when the OL is the weakest unit on the entire roster by far.

I don't know how you can say they only added one. Spending $10M on a guard and a top 10 pick on a tackle is adding two, no matter how you want to slice it in terms of Davis missing a ton of practice. Whether or not Poles knew of Davis' practice habits, he couldn't foresee him missing 2+ weeks. However, as much as you and I disagree on Fields, I will say there's enough talent on offense for him to succeed. This can't be another Cutler situation where we ask the front office to have stars everywhere. Well you got him his coach, now go get a real TE! Ok good job but how about a WR? Fix the OL now! At some point the QB has to improve the guys around him. The Bears have arguably a top 5 WR room. Their OL is much improved. If he plays again like last year, we can't say "give him a chance with a healthy LG and a better C and maybe improve LT." That isn't reasonable.

I kind of agree, and it brings up the question of what this season is about. The Bears need a definitive understanding of what fields is to move forward. If he can run the passing game they can draft for best player and build around him. If he's not capable they need to use their rare combination of resources and draft a QB. If they don't know at the end of the season that's when the wheels fall off. We'll see what our OL looks like in season, but they could be facing a situation where they are being forced to include how bad the ol was in their evaluation, which would be an organizational failure as they could have done more to fortify the line, especially in the middle where they were weak last year, especially since that's the kind of pressure that makes fields break the pocket which is something I think everyone wants less of. 

I think I said this last year, but if you want to know if JF is the QB you need you need to supply him with time in the pocket with a good ol. It's how he worked on college, and he's probably always going to hold the ball and wait. I think he would have been something on a team with an established ol, we'll see what happens with what the Bears have built

• Like 1

I was just thinking.  A lot of bad news with Oline at moment.  Or not as good news as it was looking a handful of weeks ago.  

But for last several seasons the only explosive player on our offense was Mooney.  

When he was a rookie and came on field you recall other teams would call out “speed, speed” and adjust.  They still respected Robinson enough to give him some space to operate.

Last year they literally just shut him down as no respect was given to anyone else. 

Now he is arguably 4th most explosive player on offense if you include QBs legs.  Behind Moore, Claypool and Fields. 

To watch Moore take a screen distance and turn a bad pass into a big play - the value of that cannot be understated.

Explosive momentum changing plays are what win football games and that is why explosive athletes are so important to football teams. 18 play drives are great when they happen, but object of game is still to cross goal line.  

Also why I am not willing to give up on Velus just yet as so many fans and Bears media have.  He has demonstrated rare explosive ability and he has size to go with it.  

On a separate note I have not given up on Jenkins either.  He is too good to quit on. 

I fully understand a guy who has a fumbling problem and a guy who can’t stay healthy do you no good.  You have to try to overcome that for a time when you are talking about potential high end difference makers.  

Especially Jenkins who could be one of best Gs in league if we can keep him on field somehow. 

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I thought someone said something with both calves at once happened to him.  

Yeah that’s my bad I was thinking Brisker not Jenkins with my response.

Calf muscle pulls are no joke though. They sound minor, but risk of recurrence is really high if you don’t let them fully heal. I do distance runs and I had one about a year ago that I thought was fine after not running for 2 weeks but then 10 minutes into my first run back I strained it again. Ended up needing to not run for almost 6 weeks before it was fully healed and I was good to go. I’m a 200 lb guy casually jogging in my neighborhood. He’s a 300+ lb NFL OL blocking other 300+ linemen and sprinting around.

The bigger question for me isn’t his recovery timeframe. Burrow just sat an entire month with one and he doesn’t really even have to run. My questions are more around how he strained them seemingly somewhere between the end of joint practices and the Colts preseason game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah that’s my bad I was thinking Brisker not Jenkins with my response.

Calf muscle pulls are no joke though. They sound minor, but risk of recurrence is really high if you don’t let them fully heal. I do distance runs and I had one about a year ago that I thought was fine after not running for 2 weeks but then 10 minutes into my first run back I strained it again. Ended up needing to not run for almost 6 weeks before it was fully healed and I was good to go. I’m a 200 lb guy casually jogging in my neighborhood. He’s a 300+ lb NFL OL blocking other 300+ linemen and sprinting around.

The bigger question for me isn’t his recovery timeframe. Burrow just sat an entire month with one and he doesn’t really even have to run. My questions are more around how he strained them seemingly somewhere between the end of joint practices and the Colts preseason game.

Maybe he hurt them and tried to play through it for a bit through toughness or pain killers and found he couldn’t keep doing it.   

That happens a lot.

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Now he is arguably 4th most explosive player on offense if you include QBs legs.  Behind Moore, Claypool and Fields. 

Claypool has absolutely never shown himself to be more explosive than Mooney 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Claypool has absolutely never shown himself to be more explosive than Mooney 

By all accounts he has been this offseason in practice.   His rookie year he was pretty explosive as well.  

How it plays out this year remains to be seen.

On a side note he had one of fastest on field recorded times in league last year.