Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

4 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

This is the part of the year where the forum goes dead for 3 months. I'm not looking forward to it either.

Aww don’t worry you still have a couple of weeks of interest to come…rookie mini-camp…post draft cuts and signings…OTAs…well then yeah sure it dies off for a bit but at least it’s a couple of weeks 😂

We have pretty obscene speed at WR. The WRs that figure to have the most playing time this season (Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Scott, Jones) average sub 4.4 in speed. We’ve been fast before with Knox and Hester but we’ve never had a fast depth chart this competent before. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

We have pretty obscene speed at WR. The WRs that figure to have the most playing time this season (Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Scott, Jones) average sub 4.4 in speed. We’ve been fast before with Knox and Hester but we’ve never had a fast depth chart this competent before. 

Now we just have to use it!

What would you all say the keys to making use of that speed is going to be? For me, it's Fields getting better at the short and middle of the field passes to unlock some of the streaking deep ball routes for these guys.  I wish Roschon was a better pass catcher to be the easy-out look for Fields, but hopefulyl Kmet and Moore are able to be that guy.  Give Fields a short game, combined with the running potential, and there's going to be times when the deep shot opens up. 

What has worked for other mobile QBs with a good deep ball?  Can't recall what Newton's deep shot was like... any good similar situations that have worked out?

4 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I wish Roschon was a better pass catcher to be the easy-out look for Fields

Nobody is going to mistake him for Reggie Bush, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s not a completely capable receiver out of the backfield. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nobody is going to mistake him for Reggie Bush, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s not a completely capable receiver out of the backfield. 

He ran a couple good routes in what I’ve seen and bailed his qb out when the play broke down. Wouldn’t write him off 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He should be fine there (hopefully more reps will raise him to good) but Im more excited about his Pass Protection next to Fields. I dont think we have anyone else on the roster that matches him in that category, even as a rookie. 

I truly think we got a steal here in Roschon, and he may proven rather quickly to be an every down back (or whatever that is in todays NFL). He may not get to be used as that right away, Id imagine some promises were made to Foreman, but I also think he could be traded away by October, and we get a better look into the future the second half of the season

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Now we just have to use it!

What would you all say the keys to making use of that speed is going to be? For me, it's Fields getting better at the short and middle of the field passes to unlock some of the streaking deep ball routes for these guys.  I wish Roschon was a better pass catcher to be the easy-out look for Fields, but hopefulyl Kmet and Moore are able to be that guy.  Give Fields a short game, combined with the running potential, and there's going to be times when the deep shot opens up. 

What has worked for other mobile QBs with a good deep ball?  Can't recall what Newton's deep shot was like... any good similar situations that have worked out?

For me Fields needs to be more accurate in the short game. But Kmet, Tonyan and the RBs need to be able to attack the short middle part of the field. There were almost no easy passes in front of the LBs in the middle, and that SHOULD be one of the easiest dump offs on the field. Really the passing attack seemed almost exclusively outside the numbers.

Even if Roschon or whoever isn't a great passing option they should be competent for what is asked of them. Also I still think Velus will get the chance to be a Cohen kind of weapon on obvious passing downs. If they pin their ears back just let him get a quick pass and try to get an edge. Even better to me would be Scott getting a shot at that role early on, let him be a nice piece to try and do that since there are already 3 WRs ahead of him too. He is pretty damn special when he has the ball in his hands. If defenses want to try and put a S or LB on him he should be hellish for them.

I may be wrong but I don't think Cam really had a great deep attack, even when he got MVP. I think he more just got a lot of good intermediate plays with Olsen and a dominant run game and defense. Really I think the best deep ball passers are guys who can consistently just put the ball where it won't be intercepted. If you can give the WR leverage they should at MINIMUM get to play DB on a poor throw, or just simply have it out of range for everyone. If Fields can get a few to jump on a hard count he can have freebies too, Lord knows Rodgers has made a living off of those risk-free chunk plays.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 2:24 PM, Ty21 said:

Yeah... about that...lolz  It only works if Fields can connect with them😁

On 5/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ty21 said:

Speaking of which, I like the 'Legion of Zoom.'

FB-IMG-1683173219382.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

Yeah... about that...lolz  It only works if Fields can connect with them😁

Fields has a lot of room for improvement as a passer but one of this strengths already is definitely his deep ball.  Probably why they are loading up on speed, playing to Fields' strength.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

And forget 40 times.  I am talking speed on grass in pads.  

These guys can fly.   

Definitely going to put a lot of pressure on defenses. Too much speed to sit on short routes (in no way do I think Getsy is going to be too cowardly to attack deep), the OL isn't elite but pretty damn nasty, two TEs who can move the chains, a few WRs that are super explosive with the ball in their hands, a RB committee that has 3 tough runners, and the QB is one of the most explosive runners in the league. I don't believe Fields is in the MVP talk by any means, but he has one hell of an opportunity this year to make a statement that he is the franchise QB the Bears have been after since the 1950s.

If Fields can be just an average passer this should be the best offense the Bears have had since 2013.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He should be fine there (hopefully more reps will raise him to good) but Im more excited about his Pass Protection next to Fields. I dont think we have anyone else on the roster that matches him in that category, even as a rookie. 

I truly think we got a steal here in Roschon, and he may proven rather quickly to be an every down back (or whatever that is in todays NFL). He may not get to be used as that right away, Id imagine some promises were made to Foreman, but I also think he could be traded away by October, and we get a better look into the future the second half of the season

Johnson’s RB coach at Texas (former NFLer Rashard Choice) likened him to Fred Jackson, who was a solid starter for several years at the position. That’d be a great 4th round pick IMO. 

• Like 2