Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

14 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Velus hasn’t been written off yet, he still has some level of potential albeit lesser with each new arrival. ESB and Pettis have shown their absolute ceiling, which is pathetic. Neither belong in the NFL. I’d prefer a 5th round rookie gets their roster spot 

them being signed now doesn't prevent a 5th round rookie getting their spot

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He's a weapon that was benched for a few games. If he shows bad hands again in the summer, he might be cut. If they thought he was a weapon, Moore wouldn't have been a must-have in the CAR trade & they wouldn't have brought back Pettis and ESB.

29 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He's a weapon that was benched for a few games. If he shows bad hands again in the summer, he might be cut. If they thought he was a weapon, Moore wouldn't have been a must-have in the CAR trade & they wouldn't have brought back Pettis and ESB.

A Day 2, second year player is going to be cut?

And you honestly believe that Velus Jones had even a single iota of impact on our want of DJ Moore?

It must have been too nice of a weekend for some of you, and you needed something to complain about on a Monday. Pettis being resigned is about nothing other than keeping a veteran around for the offseason. Hes the #6 WR right now, before the Draft, before other cuts before we are even sniffing Mini-camps

It really concerns me on how some of you make it through each and every day

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

This year, he should feel like home, and he will bring the best of himself.  His role will be selective highlight plays.  He doesn't need to be the #1, #2, or #3.  Just make 2 to 3 big plays (70 to 100 yards/game) a game is what the Bears need of him.

6 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

This year, he should feel like home, and he will bring the best of himself.  His role will be selective highlight plays.  He doesn't need to be the #1, #2, or #3.  Just make 2 to 3 big plays (70 to 100 yards/game) a game is what the Bears need of him.

Oh, if that's all he has to do...

I HAVE NO FAITH THAT HE COMES ANYWHERE NEAR THAT PER GAME!

But I see your point...sorta. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

Yeah, I don't think people should be totally tossing Velus to the curb yet, but you realize 70-100 yards per game is 1190-1700 yards?  Yeah, if he does that we will be in great shape, but theres no chance that he does, and I think his expectations can be significantly lower than that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

A Day 2, second year player is going to be cut?

And you honestly believe that Velus Jones had even a single iota of impact on our want of DJ Moore?

It must have been too nice of a weekend for some of you, and you needed something to complain about on a Monday. Pettis being resigned is about nothing other than keeping a veteran around for the offseason. Hes the #6 WR right now, before the Draft, before other cuts before we are even sniffing Mini-camps

It really concerns me on how some of you make it through each and every day

Calm down. I haven't been a fan of Velus since hisUSC days and I'm an SC fan. He can't catch at all and he was benched for a few games last year. Day 2 picks being cut after 1 season isn't some extremely rare happening anyway. No need to make everything an argument with heat behind it. I think he sucks. Some of you think he deserves another season. We'll see what happens

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

Yeah, I don't think people should be totally tossing Velus to the curb yet, but you realize 70-100 yards per game is 1190-1700 yards?  Yeah, if he does that we will be in great shape, but theres no chance that he does, and I think his expectations can be significantly lower than that.

I would take 2 big catches and 1 big return per game as successful from Velus... :)

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

ESB (confirmed) and Pettis (almost surely) are on vet minimum type deals with basically no guarantees at all. The only thing they’re reasonably assured of at this point is an invite to camp, and barring injury neither is likely to be anything more than WR5 next year and are entirely exposed to being replaced by a draft pick or UDFA. I think it’s far more likely that one or maybe even both end up on the PS as a vet who knows the offense well than it is that both make our opening day 53. 

I can’t imagine Velus Jones’ presence had anything to do with Poles’ desire to add DJ Moore. One is a bona fide WR1 in his prime and the other is almost certainly not seen as anything more than a complementary piece. Even if Velus had come on as an obviously legit WR3 in his rookie season the need for a Moore-like player would still have been there. 

• Like 1

LOL.   This family needs its hand held and guidance for everything.  Kind of embarrassing they don't seem to have gained either business or football skills despite every advantage and opportunity. 

A great movie scene that encapsulates the problem of over coddling your kids.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

LOL.   This family needs its hand held and guidance for everything.  Kind of embarrassing they don't seem to have gained either business or football skills despite every advantage and opportunity. 

A great movie scene that encapsulates the problem of over coddling your kids.

I spent a not small amount of time trying to figure out how to respond to this. Have concluded that you're suggesting that I ought to give consideration to throwing my kids friends out the window so they my kids don't turn into billionaire nebbishes OR get pushed around by Scots (oddly my next door neighboor is Scottish and has in fact planted a fruit tree on my property but I kind of like it so I'm not sure how to apply any of this advice really)

57 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

ESB (confirmed) and Pettis (almost surely) are on vet minimum type deals with basically no guarantees at all. The only thing they’re reasonably assured of at this point is an invite to camp, and barring injury neither is likely to be anything more than WR5 next year and are entirely exposed to being replaced by a draft pick or UDFA. I think it’s far more likely that one or maybe even both end up on the PS as a vet who knows the offense well than it is that both make our opening day 53. 

I can’t imagine Velus Jones’ presence had anything to do with Poles’ desire to add DJ Moore. One is a bona fide WR1 in his prime and the other is almost certainly not seen as anything more than a complementary piece. Even if Velus had come on as an obviously legit WR3 in his rookie season the need for a Moore-like player would still have been there. 

Do you think if Jones was really good last year that Poles would've *needed* Moore in the trade, especially after trading the 32nd pick for Claypool? Had that trade and Jones panned out, they probably wouldn't have yearned for Moore

37 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I spent a not small amount of time trying to figure out how to respond to this. Have concluded that you're suggesting that I ought to give consideration to throwing my kids friends out the window so they my kids don't turn into billionaire nebbishes OR get pushed around by Scots (oddly my next door neighboor is Scottish and has in fact planted a fruit tree on my property but I kind of like it so I'm not sure how to apply any of this advice really)

You know there is an english word for throwing someone out of a window?

Defenstration.   

My point was succeeding generations to a great or dynamic person often become extremely incompetent due to being raised in comfort and without need.

That is what seems to have happened to McCaskey family.  

That should have come through loud and clear by a Braveheart clip.  LOL.  Get inside my brain.  

My next store neighbors on one side are Indian and other side polish.  Across the street a few houses away are some Armenians.

2 doors down are some Moldovans.  And on kitty corner is a Ukranian (who married a Korean woman - their kids are actually super cute).

But no Scots planting fruit trees.  Only fruit tree that would live would be apple I think. 

We do have Irishman that moved in two houses away in other direction.  I did the closing!  Although he wasn't my client, my old neighbors were.

Not sure why my neighborhood has become the United Nations, but it has.   

I get along with everyone.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Calm down.

I felt like my response was fairly measured, considering you are suggesting a Top 75 pick would be outright released before he even makes it to his second season. That would need to be a nearly never seen before level of incompetence to get to that result. Especially considering it would t come along with either legal troubles, a massive injury, or as a malcontent  

Despite what you want to claim, that would be a very rare accomplishment.