WR Talk

nicfre2011

On 1/13/2023 at 6:56 AM, nicfre2011 said:

WR talk here....

What can you guys tell me about Josh Downs (North Carolina), Zay Flowers (Boston College), and Marvin Mims (Oklahoma)...how do they compare as prospects...what jumps out to you about each of them.....strengths/weaknesses? 

Zay Flowers is a smaller version of DJ Johnson.  Electric with the ball in his hands.  Able to make quick cuts and get open.  Suspect hands.

Marvin Mims  has all the skills to be an X receiver except build.  I will bet he is another James Washington but, again, smaller.

Josh Downs - See Zay Flowers

Edited by jebrick

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s the consensus on the Tennessee WRs? 

There isn’t one yet. Most places still seem convinced Hyatt is gonna last to like the third round for some reason.

He’s gonna be overrated by the time it’s all said and done though.

Tillman is the sleeper.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I believe Hyatt goes in the 30-50 range. Anyone thinking his kind of speed gets to day 3 is nuts. Look at Tyquan Thornton/Christian Watson last season.. they both flew up boards after the combine due to their speed. 

Tillman on the other hand is dramatically less flashy, due to that I think he ends up being drafted in that 3rd-5th range. 

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They show talent but it is hard to judge with that system.  By this I mean you can't judge their route running or their release because of that system.  A spread system is a big help for WR in college( in bloating their numbers) but generally leaves them with a lot of skills left to learn in the NFL.  Tennessee's system adds extreme up-tempo.  So we have to look at the physical profiles for each Wr.

I think Hyatt could go in the late 1st if he blows the doors off in the 40, but no later than the 2nd  Tillman will go in the 2nd or 3rd.   Hyatt worries me the most because he is all speed in a slight build that needs constant scheming to give him a free release.  You can't teach speed but speed plus route running wins in the NFL.

38 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’ve seen concerns about his long speed. 

I just don't get it. I basically throw anything that happened out the window this year. Without a doubt almost every internet scout thought he was a top 5 player coming into last year. I watched him basically be one of the best receivers in college. I never saw the long speed issue. 

• Like 1