WR Talk

nicfre2011

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

JSN is going to look like Olave at the combine.  tOSU used him the same way by getting him free releases.  He is smooth in his routes and good short area quickness.

Eh, Olave was mostly a pure outside guy his entire career at OSU, unlike JSN who almost universally played out of the slot. If they moved him outside, they usually put Garrett Wilson in the slot as well.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I think you need to watch some more Addison. 

Yeah, Addison had fantastic looking acceleration when I was watching him.  Maybe his top speed isn't as good as some others, but he goes from standing still to moooving in no time.

Addison would be such a perfect Steelers receiver. I know they'd probably prefer to go elsewhere in the first round, but he's a fit for what they look for at that position even before factoring in his connection with Kenny. You only have to look at what the Bengals have achieved by pairing Burrow and Chase together, by matching two players who know each other's game. I'm surprised more teams don't do this tbh. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Addison would be such a perfect Steelers receiver. I know they'd probably prefer to go elsewhere in the first round, but he's a fit for what they look for at that position even before factoring in his connection with Kenny. You only have to look at what the Bengals have achieved by pairing Burrow and Chase together, by matching two players who know each other's game. I'm surprised more teams don't do this tbh. 

It worked well for the Dolphins too obviously.  It's also why I think if the Texans end up with Stroud, then it will be interesting to see what they think of JSN when their other pick comes up, either at 12 or slipping back a few spots.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

It worked well for the Dolphins too obviously.  It's also why I think if the Texans end up with Stroud, then it will be interesting to see what they think of JSN when their other pick comes up, either at 12 or slipping back a few spots.

Exactly what I was thinking. Stroud + JSN would make a lot of sense. 

58 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Stroud + JSN would make a lot of sense. 

I've floated trading our late FRP with the Colts if he makes JSN made itr to us for the same reason, but now that we are 28th, I doubt it.  But someone might take the Colts up on it if it presents itself.

21 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Am I crazy for thinking Dell has elite potential? Just his speed, suddenness, and ability to track the ball over his shoulder is enough for me.

On a team which focuses on the position like the Patriots.. I think he's elite and puts up huge numbers. My concern is he will be constantly hurt at 160lb getting high volume targets. I know people are talking about him in the 2nd but I have a hard time taking him that early. 

Tutu Atwell was taken in the 2nd I believe, and he was considered a big reach from what I recall. 

Just now, Crimmage said:

On a team which focuses on the position like the Patriots.. I think he's elite and puts up huge numbers. My concern is he will be constantly hurt at 160lb getting high volume targets. I know people are talking about him in the 2nd but I have a hard time taking him that early. 

Tutu Atwell was taken in the 2nd I believe, and he was considered a big reach from what I recall. 

We've been saying the same things about small players for a few years now, and it has never been the case that these slighter WRs miss games from big hits suffered in games that bigger players do not miss. I think it has been proven to just be a false narrative and a non-concern. I used to believe this, but it has just been unfounded. Devonta Smith, Wan'Dale Robinson, Tutu Atwell, Rondale Moore- when these guys get hurt, it is soft tissue injuries that every receiver seems to get at some point.

When it comes to smaller wide receivers, I'm more concerned about their arm length and hand size. Like, the Giants took Wan'Dale Robinson last year who is very small. His biggest problem is not getting open or taking big hits, but his arm length is pathetic and it makes his catch radius much smaller than an average receiver's. Plus, he's a body catcher. I have similar concerns with Dell to an extent, but he is a much better hands catcher than Robinson and tracks the ball super well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Am I crazy for thinking Dell has elite potential? Just his speed, suddenness, and ability to track the ball over his shoulder is enough for me.

I'm a homer and no you are not.  He he was 2 inches taller it wouldnt even be a discussion.   Not to mention he adds punt return value too.  He had several returns called back that he scored on cause of penalties. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm a homer and no you are not.  He he was 2 inches taller it wouldnt even be a discussion.   Not to mention he adds punt return value too.  He had several returns called back that he scored on cause of penalties. 

I still have a very incomplete personal picture of this draft, its prospects, and teams' needs, but if I were leading my Giants, I'd take him at 25 right now assuming he was available.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:33 AM, goldfishwars said:

Waddle + Tua (Alabama)
Smith + Hurts (Alabama)
Adams + Carr (Fresno State, Adams drafted by Packers though so trade)
Hollywood + Kyler (Oklahoma, Brown drafted by Ravens though so trade)
sorta Etienne + Trevor also (Clemson)

Luck had Fleener (Stanford), Cutler Earl Benett (Vanderbilt) on the Bears, but Cutler was drafted by Broncos. Off by a year or so, but for backups MIA almost had Parker + Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville and I think HS in Florida too? I dunno if there was any overlap between Parker trade and Bridgewater signing, but near miss at least).

Edited by Trojan