WR Talk

nicfre2011

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

Really like Bell. Have liked him for 3 years now as a prospect. Catches with strong hands. Runs good routes. Tough and is a tremendous blocker. I just really question his athleticism. He has no above average traits on a physical level, which likely relegates him to WR #3/4 roles.

I'm looking at a lot of slot guys as the Bengals need a successor to Tyler Boyd after this year, and I think Bell would be a great fit who could thrive in the Bengals offense.  Be a 750-1000 yard guy at his peak as a WR3 with Chase and Higgins on the outside.

11 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

So what are people’s thoughts on this?

I’m amazed at how few _____ some of those dudes ran. Zero jet sweeps for Addison? That seems super weird to me given how athletic he is in space.

JSN and Hyatt ran 0 comeback routes in their careers? I know they’re slot guys, but that’s just strange, especially because JSN is such a crafty route runner & Hyatt gets giant cushions. 

14 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Addison and JSN ran in Pro style offenses with the Wr have a variety of routes.  Both are excellent route runners. Johnson and Hyatt are in spread offenses.  Both are tasked with stretching the defense so a lot of fly/post/flag routes.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I’m amazed at how few _____ some of those dudes ran. Zero jet sweeps for Addison? That seems super weird to me given how athletic he is in space.

JSN and Hyatt ran 0 comeback routes in their careers? I know they’re slot guys, but that’s just strange, especially because JSN is such a crafty route runner & Hyatt gets giant cushions. 

JSN is tricky with Wilson and Olave as pure outside flanker types, whereas this year I'd have expected him to be able to move from the slot to the outside with Egbuka doing the same, but the injury likely prevented that.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, THE DUKE said:

I think Ronnie Bell is going to be a nice slot WR in the NFL.  A very good WR3 on a team that has solid outside guys already.

This dude is a fighter, he has a slight Steve Smith to him (even though he wasn’t a slot). I wouldn’t be surprised if he is a solid guy in the league 

I think I'm convinced that JSN is my #1 receiver in this class. The hamstring injury concerns me, but if he checks out, it's him.

First rounders: 1. JSN 2. Jordan Addison 3. Zay Flowers

Day 2 guys: 4. Tank Dell 5. Josh Downs 6. Jalin Hyatt 7. Quentin Johnston 8. Kayshon Boutte 9. Jonathan Mingo 10. Cedric Tillman 11. Xavier Hutchinson

There's a few guys I haven't watched, so I didn't include them. After those 11, I think you're throwing darts. One guy I did watch and purposefully did not include is Rashee Rice. I've soured on him recently.

There are only 2 later round sleepers I like: Charlie Jones and Jayden Reed.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think I'm convinced that JSN is my #1 receiver in this class. The hamstring injury concerns me, but if he checks out, it's him.

First rounders: 1. JSN 2. Jordan Addison 3. Zay Flowers

Day 2 guys: 4. Tank Dell 5. Josh Downs 6. Jalin Hyatt 7. Quentin Johnston 8. Kayshon Boutte 9. Jonathan Mingo 10. Cedric Tillman 11. Xavier Hutchinson

There's a few guys I haven't watched, so I didn't include them. After those 11, I think you're throwing darts. One guy I did watch and purposefully did not include is Rashee Rice. I've soured on him recently.

There are only 2 later round sleepers I like: Charlie Jones and Jayden Reed.

I've got him at 2 right now, waiting for the combine.  If he tests well, then he's the only one without a serious issue of some kind.  So many of these top receivers are small.  The only top ones that have the size you'd really like are JSN, Johnston (who just won't jump off the tape, at least not against FBS opponents), Jalin Hyatt (who had half his yards on go routes), Boutte (huge disappointment this year), and Tillman (who also missed most of the season with injury).  Pickings are slim.

• Like 1

Has the success that DeVonta Smith has had in the NFL and specifically how the Eagles offensive scheme has used him changed how teams view wide receivers that don't necessarily check all of the traditional boxes of height and weight and that would usually be typecast as limited to "slot only" wide receivers? I am specifically thinking of prospects like Zay Flowers and Marvin Mims, but there are quite a few more prospects that seem to fit into this category. Jordan Addison could be considered as well, although I don't hear the height/weight knock on him much.

59 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Has the success that DeVonta Smith has had in the NFL and specifically how the Eagles offensive scheme has used him changed how teams view wide receivers that don't necessarily check all of the traditional boxes of height and weight and that would usually be typecast as limited to "slot only" wide receivers? I am specifically thinking of prospects like Zay Flowers and Marvin Mims, but there are quite a few more prospects that seem to fit into this category. Jordan Addison could be considered as well, although I don't hear the height/weight knock on him much.

I believe so, yes. 

Addison is bigger than flowers but he still isn't huge, especially because he doesn't have blazing speed and struggled a bit against press .. that's a concern.. but I barely hear it mentioned. I'm incredibly curious to see if Addison tests at the combine or goes the Devonta Smith route and only does the measurements. If he actual weighs in at 180, I think he will be fine. Teams are going to give him Smith comps and he will be drafted in the first. His 40 could determine how early.. if he runs fast he could be a top 10 pick.. if he runs slow, maybe 17-25ish. 

Zay Flowers hype has been crazy last couple months so I'm not sure it can get much higher. He could go as early as 14 if the Patriots fall in love with him. 

Mims is a sleeper who I fully believe teams are going to kick themselves for letting slip to the 4th round. He doesn't have elite long speed ( neither does Addison) but I think he's going to be a good player. 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Jonathan Mingo from Ole Miss?

I just took a peak at him for the first time. Mingo may be criminally flying under the radar. He doesn't have the bulk stats, but I don't know enough about Ole Miss to know why not. I think he's going to make a team very happy in the 2nd-4th range.