WR Talk

nicfre2011

15 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Gut feeling, who is the best WR that will go in round 3 or later?

I don't think there are many sleepers in this class. This draft is bad for WR's. For the first time in what seems like years, I don't have a long list of sleepers.

My guys:

1. Rakim Jarrett/WR/Maryland (R4-R6)
+freak athlete with twitchy movement skills
+built like a power runningback and embraces contact
+RAC nightmare
+will block and be willing to do dirty work
+speed and agility to become an elite route runner

-horrendous ball skills & drop issues
-not a nuanced route runner at all
-was schemed open a lot
-doesn't win at the catch point like you'd expect for a big dude.

NFL COMPARISON: Deebo Samuel (high praise, but this is his ceiling if he can iron out the drop issues)

2. Dontayvion Wicks/WR/Virginia (R3-R5)
+great ball skills and tracks the ball very well
+has legitimate long speed and is very good adjusting to deep shots
+prerequisite ht/wt/spd traits
+shows nuance as a route runner vs. man

-doesn't do a great job finding space vs. zone
-despite size, he plays smaller than he is
-not a very good RAC threat
-lacks any elite physical trait

NFL COMPARISON: Chris Conley

3. Jason Brownlee/WR/Southern Miss (UDFA)
+looks the part of a #1 NFL WR
+has deep speed to burn past NFL caliber safeties and corners
+boxes out smaller defenders with ease; will be a menace in the red zone

-doesn't understand how to set up DB's
-linear route runner without fluid hips to become great in that area
-struggles with some drops and does not "Moss" guys like you'd expect
-unproductive; to say he is raw is an understatement.

NFL COMPARISON: Josh Gordon (high praise again, but this is a ceiling. He has a crazy long way to go before reaching that ceiling)

Edited by BetterCallSaul

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

What kind of 40 is Jonathan Mingo going to run?

Probably a high 4.5. Speed is not his game, but it's not a crippling weakness either. He's a monster RAC threat, but I don't think he's very fast, nor does he have polish as a route runner. He will struggle to separate, but will be a fun gadget guy who will also have value as a run blocker & short game zone beater.

He would do well with a running QB in a west coast offense, as those teams tend to see a ton of zone coverage.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Probably a high 4.5. Speed is not his game, but it's not a crippling weakness either. He's a monster RAC threat, but I don't think he's very fast, nor does he have polish as a route runner. He will struggle to separate, but will be a fun gadget guy who will also have value as a run blocker & short game zone beater.

He would do well with a running QB in a west coast offense, as those teams tend to see a ton of zone coverage.

I think 4.5 is about right; he looks like kind of a long strider. Maybe a bad 10 yard split?

I like Rakim Jarrett quite a lot myself.  But yeah, there's not a lot to love depthwise in this receiver class.

Probably the best bang for your buck that I see in the draft is Cedric Tillman.  He's going anywhere from the early second to the middle third, and if he goes in that later range, he's an insane steal.  He's an all out better receiver than Jalin Hyatt in my opinion, and started the season as a presumed first rounder before he was injured.  Not the best hands, which is a flag, but he's big and he's fast, and he posterized certified first round CB Cam Smith in their matchups.

• Like 3

I forgot about my boy Dontay Demus from Maryland.

Pretty much has the exact same scouting report as Jason Brownlee for me, except he's faster & stronger at the catch point. He has a really high ceiling as a ht/wt/spd guy, but definitely lacks the polish as a route runner. If he's not just running past you in a straight line, you're probably not going to see him break open.

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't think there are many sleepers in this class. This draft is bad for WR's. For the first time in what seems like years, I don't have a long list of sleepers.

I think Ronnie Bell is going to be a nice slot WR in the NFL.  A very good WR3 on a team that has solid outside guys already.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think Ronnie Bell is going to be a nice slot WR in the NFL.  A very good WR3 on a team that has solid outside guys already.

Really like Bell. Have liked him for 3 years now as a prospect. Catches with strong hands. Runs good routes. Tough and is a tremendous blocker. I just really question his athleticism. He has no above average traits on a physical level, which likely relegates him to WR #3/4 roles.

• Like 1