GDT: Broncos @ Raiders

paul-mac

1 minute ago, French Fan said:

Lynch was see by everybody as 1st rounder with 2/3 years to develop !! You are a better analyst ? Scout ? 

Laughable is you analyse

That's just not true. Many respectable analysts considered him a huge "bust" prospect. One thing I can tell you. When accuracy is an issue coming out of college it's the kiss of death in the NFL.

Many NFL coaches will tell you they can correct footwork, timing etc in a raw QB. They'll also tell you it's almost impossible to improve accuracy. That has been and will be Paxtons issue. Two years in the NFL now and h's accuracy hasn't improved.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's just not true. Many respectable analysts considered him a huge "bust" prospect. One thing I can tell you. When accuracy is an issue coming out of college it's the kiss of death in the NFL.

Many NFL coaches will tell you they can correct footwork, timing etc in a raw QB. They'll also tell you it's almost impossible to improve accuracy. That has been and will be Paxtons issue. Two years in the NFL now and h's accuracy hasn't improved.

I will say Lynch had issues, but most had him in the late 1st to early 2nd range.  You just don’t find 6’7” 240 pound guys with his arm and athleticism.

I will also say I agree with you 100% on the accuracy.  I’ll never forget almost 10 years ago I listened to an interview with Brian Billick and he said the biggest mistake he made as a coach was drafting Kyle Boller.  Said he was a great guy, smart, knew the game, athletic, and had a cannon for an arm.  He mentioned in a workout he threw the ball 60+ yards on his knees.  But the mistake he and the coaching staff made was that they could coach up his accuracy.  He said, sure you can improve it slightly with some mechanics work, but that it’s a tool you either have or you don’t.

59 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, was able to listen on the radio. Regarding Paxton, the announcers had a recurring theme after an incompletion " he has to make that throw", "all NFL QB's have to make that throw". You guys watched, how many open receivers did he miss.?

Accuracy was his biggest knock coming out of college and apparently hasn't changed.

I actually think you're being generous...we have yet to see any improvement in what we knew his other deficiencies were - read progression, recognition of D, footwork under center, and pocket awareness.   What's alarming is his decisiveness in college is nowhere to be seen, and he's eyes down with pressure - partly because the windows in the NFL are that much tighter than what he had to face in Memphis.    

Everyone understands the need to start Lynch all 5 games if he's healthy to see what we've got entering 2018 - but this isn't good at all.   Elway comparisons are a joke - the only comp I see besides height is right-handedness.   Even in his rookie year Elway had much better pocket awareness, eyes up when moving out of the pocket.    Lynch isn't in his rookie year, he's in Year 2 - and no signs of progress.   

We knew it was going to be a 1-2 year minimum growth curve - but that doesn't mean on Day 355 of year 2, the light suddenly comes on - it's a growth curve.   And frankly, Lynch has shown zero improvement.   That's a HUGE red flag.   I don't know how even the most optimistic fan would see anything but huge red flags all over the place.   

Given Talib's history, I think it's 50-50 for a 1-game suspension.  Crabtree certainly was the instigator, but Talib throwing 3-4 punches and his past history doesn't help here (Crabtree would have to get 1 game as well to justify Talib getting a game FWIW given Crabtree was the instigator).  The fact they missed most of the game probably saves Talib (and Crabtree here).

Watching this team now after the superbowl a mere 2 years ago Is like watching your dad get beat up. 

The defense I do feel mails it in at,times but can you blame them? Watching your offense crap the bed for a quarter while you're holding the raiders in check has to be frustrating. 

With Peko likely to miss time, and now word that Wolfe is going for a MRI on his neck, not only are we going to audition QB with Lynch if he's healthy enough, we're going to get a long look at Gotsis and likely Kerr on pass downs, not just run downs.   So far, while Gotsis has flashed in run stoppage, no pass rush skills have shown up.   Kerr has been a major disappointment, even with just rotational expectations when he signed.   I actually hope Talib is suspended - again helps our chances to lose, and frankly, we also get nearly 700K back in game salary (11M base, take out 1/16, goes back to us).    It's cold, but given where we stand cap-wise, every little bit helps).

Now, given that we want to lose, this actually helps our chances...but even moreso, we can truly evaluate where our DL without Peko/Wolfe sits for 2018+.  I suspect we'll find the same answer we've been getting of late in other key areas - it's mostly bare.

On O, given where we are at, really, we should cut JC, wish him well...maybe some other team will take him on (WAS?).  5 games at 78K is still 390K saved in rollover, and we are doing nothing by keeping him.   Get a Talib suspension, and we've found 1M+ in free money for next year.   It's probably also time to get more reps for McGovern, as we all know what Max Garcia can't do (start).   If Lynch plays, I guess they want to have their best OL out there...but I don't think Garcia is a top 5 guy even on our sad OL.    If Siemian has to start, then by all means let's see what McGovern can do, even if it's just a rotation (I'd definitely see if we can get him more 1st team reps in practice).   Again, it's time to see what we have for 2018+.

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With Peko likely to miss time, and now word that Wolfe is going for a MRI on his neck, not only are we going to audition QB with Lynch if he's healthy enough, we're going to get a long look at Gotsis and likely Kerr on pass downs, not just run downs.   So far, while Gotsis has flashed in run stoppage, no pass rush skills have shown up.   Kerr has been a major disappointment, even with just rotational expectations when he signed.   I actually hope Talib is suspended - again helps our chances to lose, and frankly, we also get nearly 700K back in game salary (11M base, take out 1/16, goes back to us).    It's cold, but given where we stand cap-wise, every little bit helps).

Now, given that we want to lose, this actually helps our chances...but even moreso, we can truly evaluate where our DL without Peko/Wolfe sits for 2018+.  I suspect we'll find the same answer we've been getting of late in other key areas - it's mostly bare.

On O, given where we are at, really, we should cut JC, wish him well...maybe some other team will take him on (WAS?).  5 games at 78K is still 390K saved in rollover, and we are doing nothing by keeping him.   Get a Talib suspension, and we've found 1M+ in free money for next year.   It's probably also time to get more reps for McGovern, as we all know what Max Garcia can't do (start).   If Lynch plays, I guess they want to have their best OL out there...but I don't think Garcia is a top 5 guy even on our sad OL.    If Siemian has to start, then by all means let's see what McGovern can do, even if it's just a rotation (I'd definitely see if we can get him more 1st team reps in practice).   Again, it's time to see what we have for 2018+.

You think Lynch plays if healthy enough? Given the fact Vj said we'll look at film and start the guy best for our football team?

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You think Lynch plays if healthy enough?

If we're eliminated from playoff contention - absolutely.    Elway's got to find out what he has in Lynch, and he'll give Lynch every opportunity to show he's not ready before Elway bails on him for next year's draft.  

The convenient out is that Lynch is likely not going to be healthy for next week, so they can let Siemian play next week.  But keep in mind this was the OAK D that was 31st overall in DVOA, and had only 11 sacks and 0 INT before today.   MIA's D isn't a lot better, but they do a better job of pass rush for sure...and we won't be able to stop the run nearly as well if Peko/Wolfe are out.   Losing next week @MIA is huge, because MIA is also a team in turmoil at 4-7 - but Gase/Cutler revenge narrative, and us having to travel early to an East Coast game (and likely hot & humid)...well, I like our chances to lose.

I'd like those chances to lose out and go 3-13 a lot more if Lynch started, however.   Siemian definitely adds some danger of winning that game (and @IND too, the key game IMO).     A L @ Miami is huge for us - because then it justifies allowing Lynch to start the last 4 games.  A W not only likely torpedoes our chances for that 3 slot in the draft, but creates momentum to keep Siemian as the QB - which would be a disaster for us long-term.   I and almost all of the fanbase supported Siemian to start the season - but that was with the assumption (and proven correct so far) that he was by far our best option to win now.   Siemian's now shown he's not our long-term option (no matter what the 4Q might hint at, we've seen enough to know what he's not - our long-term solution).    We are just wasting snaps on Siemian if we are truly in rebuild mode - it's entirely justifiable if Lynch isn't healthy...but otherwise, Lynch has to play RoS when healthy, so we can cut bait without reservation in next year's draft / FA (depending on how the draft works out).

Archived