New GM: Ran Carthon

deeluxx3

really enjoyed the presser from yesterday. some things that jumped out

-the Elijah Mitchell story

-understanding the importance of analytics

-continuing to harp on the idea of collaboration. literally every and any workplace environment benefits from all team's being on the same page and working in lockstep. If JRob truly kept a divide between scouts and coaches...shame on him and he deserved to be fired even moreso

-Vrabel acknowledging previous errors in building a coaching staff. mentioned how it was his "first thing building a staff" and now he has a different perspective on how to hire the right guys in the right roles. Good humility and growth

I'm excited to see how this roster gets built from now until September. Respectfully of these guys, but guys like Swaim, Hollister, Daley, Kinsey, and several others have no business being on an NFL practice squad, let alone an active roster. Tough to really say how many of these guys Vrabel was a fan of or was using out of necessity...but the cupboard was rather bare the past 2 seasons at the skill positions. Curious to see how the RC/Vrabel combo builds a team

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 10:42 AM, KingTitan said:

So talking about Trey Lance.

Sounds like Lance was the scouts pick and Kyle Shanahan wanted Mac Jones.  Mainly because his offense doesn't call for the athleticism or strong arm. It needs accuracy timing. All the things that Purdy is good at, similar to Jimmy G and even Mac Jones to a degree.

Scouts didn't think Jones was worth a top pick like that because he is limited. Which he has shown to be. 

So what kind of offense will we be? Do we need a QB like Lance/Tannehiill, or can we draft a lower round guy or go with someone not aas high profile and see success? 

Very unlikely anyone told shanny who to draft. If they drafted Lance, it's because shanny wanted Lance. He's got whatever control he wants (he hired Lynch). He's the primary guy and for your franchise QB at 3, I'd imagine he's taking that on himself.  Media heads really just talked themselves into a pretzel during that debacle and simply tried to walk it back (they even said after the fact that nobody in the 49er room knew but Lynch, shanny and Peters... No scouts, and the owner confirmed he didn't know until the day before the draft, so where did the scuttlebutt come from?). 

After that, it's hard to know who is responsible for what when scouting and who likes who. Ethan Waugh and Adam Peters were primary college guys for the niners (Waugh was hired by Jacksonville and was the live scout for Trey Lance) Previously it was their fingerprints on most drafts, probably up to the 2021 draft (peters was moved to assistant general manager February if 21, so I have no doubt that most of the legwork on that draft was done by him). So I'm not sure what information can honestly be taken from their drafts for Carthon. The niners used a lot of input from different people (demeco found dre greenlaw when he was just a lb coach, for example and played a role in drafting Elijah Mitchell... Bobby Turner was a big Trey sermon guy... Chris Foerster is friends with ND offensive line coach to help evaluate Aaron Banks, etc)

• Like 2

Really nice, informative interview.

Two biggest takeaways I took. 1)The main things he looks for in a QB is accuracy/anticipation and toughness(both mental and physical) and 2)He’s big on analytics and will be using it here.

Edited by TitanSlim

7 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Two biggest takeaways I took. 1)The main things he looks for in a QB is accuracy/anticipation and toughness(both mental and physical) and 2)He’s big on analytics and will be using it here.

Looking at guys that fit that.

Haven't dived deep. But Aidan OConnell is said to be accurate and cerebral. Not a terrible arm. Decent size. 

Not that we would have our future on a low round QB. But his description doesn't fit any of the qbs outside of young and Stroud maybe. 

But just saw O'Connell is 25. 

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

words are just words of course, but he really does seem like such a great fit for vrabel. shares the former player experience and emphasis on work and toughness but is also clearly whip-smart and intends to modernize things around here.

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Looking at guys that fit that.

Haven't dived deep. But Aidan OConnell is said to be accurate and cerebral. Not a terrible arm. Decent size. 

Not that we would have our future on a low round QB. But his description doesn't fit any of the qbs outside of young and Stroud maybe. 

But just saw O'Connell is 25. 

Jake Haener from Fresno St was the guy I thought of. Doesn’t have crazy measurables or a cannon for an arm but is known for his timing and touch. Also showed his toughness(coming back from a real bad ankle injury to finish the season) and has plenty of playing experience. For better or worse, I expect him to be the guy compared to Purdy this draft cycle. 

Clayton Tune from Houston is also an interesting mid-later round guy.

4 hours ago, -Hope- said:

words are just words of course, but he really does seem like such a great fit for vrabel. shares the former player experience and emphasis on work and toughness but is also clearly whip-smart and intends to modernize things around here.

This’ll also put a bit more pressure on Vrabes. If Ran is true to his word in regards to collaborating and building the team how Vrabel wants it, then it’s really on Vrabel and the staff to coach it up. Really can’t blame not having speed at this position or drafting/signing injured guys, if you’re truly in lockstep with the GM.

And another quick note. The more that has come out, the more it clearly seems something happened between Jon Robinson and ownership/front office/Vrabel. The way the word collaboration or some version of it has been emphasized all throughout the GM search process has been eyebrow raising. And it seems it goes beyond just trading away AJ. Wished we found out what truly happened.

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Jake Haener from Fresno St was the guy I thought of. Doesn’t have crazy measurables or a cannon for an arm but is known for his timing and touch. Also showed his toughness(coming back from a real bad ankle injury to finish the season) and has plenty of playing experience. For better or worse, I expect him to be the guy compared to Purdy this draft cycle. 

Clayton Tune from Houston is also an interesting mid-later round guy.

Thought about Haener, he is just Bryce Young small.  O'Connell has some size on him. But again would be 25. I think the only way we draft a low round guy is if we sign Brady or trade for Rodgers. 

But looking at Haener and even O'Connell, I was like oh, these guys are playing QB. They will likely end up being back ups or maybe one would turn into a starter. 

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Thought about Haener, he is just Bryce Young small.  O'Connell has some size on him. But again would be 25. I think the only way we draft a low round guy is if we sign Brady or trade for Rodgers. 

But looking at Haener and even O'Connell, I was like oh, these guys are playing QB. They will likely end up being back ups or maybe one would turn into a starter. 

I’ve been trying to think what I want most in a QB/QB prospect. And it’s funny because I came to the same thing Ran said, Accuracy/Timing/Anticipation and Pocket Presence. Of course you want a number of other things (Arm strength, Mobility, ect), but having that could carry you a long way. Even if you don’t have crazy physical talent. 

It’s also why I begrudgingly admit that I have come to the conclusion I may be out on Willis unless he takes a huge step forward in that regard. He’s so far behind in that department. He’s going to need Jalen Hurts type progess.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I’ve been trying to think what I want most in a QB/QB prospect. And it’s funny because I came to the same thing Ran said, Accuracy/Timing/Anticipation and Pocket Presence. Of course you want a number of other things (Arm strength, Mobility, ect), but having that could carry you a long way. Even if you don’t have crazy physical talent. 

It’s also why I begrudgingly admit that I have come to the conclusion I may be out on Willis unless he takes a huge step forward in that regard. He’s so far behind in that department. He’s going to need Jalen Hurts type progress.

Yeah even with my intrigue in Levis and Richardson, what I want deep down for this team is to finally have a guy that just wins at being a QB.  We've done the athletic guys with Mariota, Young and even Locker.  Tannehill also fits that mold.  
Moon was the last guy that we had that just was a QB, unless you count Hasselback and Fitzmagic.

I'd love to have one of those lower round guys actually be a viable option because I see them do those things you listed. No matter the defense you throw at them they can read it, know where to go with the ball. 

I also tire of the just uber athlete. I know they are the thing now and you can really hit gold with one, but I really prefer the cerebral QB. 
I don't think Willis will ever be that. 

• Like 2

Hendon Hooker fits the "accuracy, anticipation and tough" build as well, but his age and obviously ACL injury are potential red flags. But if he's there in like the 3rd I wonder if we'd be interested in giving him a look.

He also fits the Shanahan mold of a QB that is mobile/can move but doesn't look to run very often, so if Carthon is tied to that system he fits that as well.

Regardless of who we end up picking, I feel like the "extend Tannehill, draft a QB mid rounds" is the route we're gonna end up going.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Hendon Hooker fits the "accuracy, anticipation and tough" build as well, but his age and obviously ACL injury are potential red flags. But if he's there in like the 3rd I wonder if we'd be interested in giving him a look.

He also fits the Shanahan mold of a QB that is mobile/can move but doesn't look to run very often, so if Carthon is tied to that system he fits that as well.

Regardless of who we end up picking, I feel like the "extend Tannehill, draft a QB mid rounds" is the route we're gonna end up going.

I disagree with the throwing with anticipation I see him throwing to nothing but wide open guys when I watch him. He’s my sleeper prospect at QB though I like him over Richardson. Reminds me of more accurate Jalen hurts