2023 OC

paraven

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If the Ravens do not hire Todd Monken as their OC they are nuts.  He would be a great hire!

Meh. Just because he’s able to outsmart and out coach college DCs doesn’t mean he’s going to be able to outsmart and out coach pro DC’s.

Now granted it’s Baker Mayfield and we know Mayfield has looked worse, but Baker performed better under Freddie Kitchens as his OC than he did with Todd Monken. Granted that was also a small sample size and it’s quite possible that Monken has improved in his OC ability, similar to how Wink Martindale improved from when he was first a DC at his initial stint (with the Broncos as like the 30th ranked defense IIRC) to when he became the DC of the Ravens.

Monken could be a late bloomer and the positives are if he is such, he’s likely not going to be on the immediate HC track as most teams want the young and charismatic offensive “guru” to lead their squad vs the vet coach that is more stern and professorial (Fangio and Wink type), which Monken seems to be in a similar mold.

Which the obvious positive there is that if Monken is hired and he’s unlikely to be hired away as a HC, that would be plenty of offensive stability for the unit to continue to create its foundation and grow past that vs having a Gary Kubiak type of 1-2 year rental type of OC that’s in and out.

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So far it's Canales and Todd Monken getting 2nd interviews. I really like that path so far and have no complaints about any part of this process. Harbaugh is being extremely diligent and the guys making the 2nd round are very deserving.

EDIT: More 2nd interviews:

On another note, I’m seeing the 4 coaches we’ve brought back for a 2nd round interview are:

1. Todd Monken
2. Dave Canales
3. Justin Outten
4. Brian Angelichio

Monken and Angelichio feel very much to me like the offensive X’s and O’s guys of this bunch. I look at them and feel they’re going to be knowledgeable as to how to build a sensible scheme.

Canales seems to be a strong culture guy, I think he’s going to make for an excellent HC and I think he would be a superb motivator of the offense, however I’m not exactly sure of his schematic viability, though perhaps he would be tactically great and a master with the game within the game. Perhaps because he’s not super schematic, he would be most flexible within a scheme?

For me based off of what I’ve watched of resumes, interviews, and just hearing these guys speak, the least impressive for me was quite easily Outten. Not sure what it is exactly, but he just sort of comes across to me as though he’s playing a role and isn’t the real deal.

The other three I’d have closely ranked but Angelichio seems to me to be the closest marriage between “culture” guy and “scheme” guy of the four. Plus he’s probably not going to be racing to a HC role in 1-2 seasons of success like I expect we would see with Canales.

46 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. Just because he’s able to outsmart and out coach college DCs doesn’t mean he’s going to be able to outsmart and out coach pro DC’s.

Now granted it’s Baker Mayfield and we know Mayfield has looked worse, but Baker performed better under Freddie Kitchens as his OC than he did with Todd Monken. Granted that was also a small sample size and it’s quite possible that Monken has improved in his OC ability, similar to how Wink Martindale improved from when he was first a DC at his initial stint (with the Broncos as like the 30th ranked defense IIRC) to when he became the DC of the Ravens.

Monken could be a late bloomer and the positives are if he is such, he’s likely not going to be on the immediate HC track as most teams want the young and charismatic offensive “guru” to lead their squad vs the vet coach that is more stern and professorial (Fangio and Wink type), which Monken seems to be in a similar mold.

Which the obvious positive there is that if Monken is hired and he’s unlikely to be hired away as a HC, that would be plenty of offensive stability for the unit to continue to create its foundation and grow past that vs having a Gary Kubiak type of 1-2 year rental type of OC that’s in and out.

Do you watch college football?  Without Todd Monken and that Georgia offense which is very unique and creative, no way they win the last two national titles with Stetson Bennett at QB no less.  That is wildly impressive having an offense do the things they did with Bennett at QB who is obviously not no Matthew Stafford in terms of arm talent.  Monken's use of TEs and RBs is very creative and I think he would be a great fit in Baltimore, especially with how he uses multiple TE sets and commits to the run game.

His play calling keeps defenses off balance and he along with Ryan Day are the best two offensive minds in college football currently I feel and the two who I think should be in the NFL.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Do you watch college football?  Without Todd Monken and that Georgia offense which is very unique and creative, no way they win the last two national titles with Stetson Bennett at QB no less.  That is wildly impressive having an offense do the things they did with Bennett at QB who is obviously not no Matthew Stafford in terms of arm talent.  Monken's use of TEs and RBs is very creative and I think he would be a great fit in Baltimore, especially with how he uses multiple TE sets and commits to the run game.

His play calling keeps defenses off balance and he along with Ryan Day are the best two offensive minds in college football currently I feel and the two who I think should be in the NFL.  

No I don’t watch college football. I’ve read the resume, but you’ve not refuted the point about his average to below average showing in the NFL calling plays.

No disrespect to Monken, but he’s shown he’s a big fish in a small pond the last few seasons of college football, but that doesn’t mean he will be a big fish within a big pond.

Lastly his mastery of weaving the TE and RB game within the pass attack means little if he can’t find a way to get WRs to produce- which is the problem with the Ravens offense under Roman- who I’m sure would probably be a top offensive mind if he deduced to coach college football as well.

I think this is the full list of publicly reported interviews the Ravens have had for offensive coordinator:

Dave Canales (2nd)
Justin Outten (2nd)
Todd Monken (2nd)
Brian Angelichio (2nd)
Chad Hall
Zac Robinson
Doug Nussmeier
Eric Bieniemy
Chad O'Shea
Byron Leftwich
James Urban
George Godsey

I'm sure there have been a few that haven't been reported as well but it would be quite the surprise to see a name not listed be hired out of nowhere. Not sure I have a strong favorite at this point besides not Nussmeier. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Feel like he would value this job over the Commies job but I still would prefer Canales over him.

I believe this is basically near being solidified. They're just waiting for the SB to finish up. You'd have to think that even with a cloudy QB situation, we're by far the better option. 

• Like 2