BDL 2017 Week 12: Louisiana Jazz @ Portland Horned Owls

MD4L

Who Wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Louisiana Jazz
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2017 at 03:00 PM

BDL 2017 Week 12:

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions.

Louisiana Jazz

Offense:

QB: Tom Brady
RB: LeGarrette Blount
WR: Michael Thomas
WR: Doug Baldwin
WR: Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Zach Ertz
LT: Laremy Tunsil
LG: Josh Sitton
C: Travis Frederick
RG: Trai Turner
RT: Jack Conklin

RB2: Bilal Powell
RB3: James White
WR4: Jordy Nelson
WR5: Tyler Lockett
WR6: Torrey Smith
TE2: Eric Ebron
TE3: Dion Sims
OL6: Bobby Massie

Defense:

Edge: Jabaal Sheard
DE: Chris Jones
NT: Damon Harrison
DE: Jurrell Casey
Edge: Brian Orakpo
LB: Lawrence Timmons
CB: Chris Harris Jr.
CB: Logan Ryan
CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
S: Reshad Jones
S: Eric Weddle

DT3: Andrew Billings
DT4: Tyrone Crawford
DE3: Cameron Wake
DE4: Bud Dupree
S: Antoine Bethea
LB2: Todd Davis
CB4: Orlando Scandrick
CB5: Davon House

Portland Horned Owls

QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: Jordan Howard
WR1: Davante Adams 
WR2: Sammy Watkins
WR3: Jamison Crowder
TE1: Austin Hooper
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva 
LG: Luke JoeKel - (Q)
C:  Ben Jones
RG: Ryan Jensen
RT: Jared VeldHeer

Reserves:
RB2: LeSean McCoy
RB3: Ameer Abdullah
FB:  Kyle Juzsczyk 
WR4: Seth Roberts
WR5: Jermaine Kearse
TE2: Charles Clay 
OL6: J.C Tretter
OL7: Donovan Smith

Portland's Defense:

RDE: T.J Watt
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  Timmy Jernigan
LDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Telvin Smith
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Jimmy Smith
CB2: Johnathan Joseph
SCB: Jason McCourtey
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Bruce Irvin
RLB: Zach Brown
CB4: Bashaud Breeland
CB5: Sean Smith
S3:  Daniel Sorenson
DE3: Charles Johnson
DT3: Michael Pierce
DT4: DaQuan Jones

Louisiana 

Offense:

We don’t plan to do anything particularly special on offense today but will rather stick with a pretty stock standard game plan and rely on Brady playing well and the offensive line holding up.

The Short and Jernigan duo on the interior poses the biggest threat to our offense we feel, so Dion Sims will be employed as a H-back and FB in a number of sets to ensure that Brady has extra support, although we’re confident our great interior will be able to hold up for the most part.

With the run game, Blount will reprise his role as the short-yardage and goal line back while Powell and White will rotate in as our COP and receiving backs.

At receiver, we’ll rotate depending on the circumstances, but Baldwin and Thomas will see the majority of the snaps while Nelson, Smith, Lockett and Sanders will all see a varying number of snaps for different purposes, Nelson predominantly in the red zone, Smith & Lockett to stretch the D and Sanders playing a health amount both on the outside and in the slot operating on slants and deeper crossing routes aimed at getting him the ball in space.

Defense:

Portland’s offense has two key weaknesses and that is the OL being a rather poor unit by BDL standards and the lack of particularly dynamic receiving threats. We’ve decided to go with the heavier front this time around to ensure that we win the battle at the LOS and this should give us a two-fold advantage as it will limit the running game between Howard & McCoy, as well as hopefully putting more pressure on Carr who has shown this year that he isn’t particularly good when not behind a great OL. Wake while on the bench will rotate in often for Orakpo and Sheard and in reality it will probably be a 2/3rd of the snap situation for each of them as we look to keep them fresh, while Billings will spell Harrison on a few snaps here and there while Crawford will rotate in fairly regularly too.

For the most part we like our secondary going up against the Portland receiving group, with CHJ to take Watkins, DRC on Adams and Ryan on Crowder, with Weddle helping over the top to ensure that there’s no deep burns. Jones, Timmons and Robertson will rotate as required on the backs and tight ends, while Bethea will come in for our 3 safety sets as Portland moves towards the pass after they inevitably fall down.

Motivation: We're playing our old QB this week along with the best team in BDL, we're going to give it our all and prove we didn't need Brady. Since we're playing at home and this is our chance to lock up a playoff spot or at least show we're a playoff caliber team we're going to throw the entire kitchen at Louisiana.

Portland

Portland Offensive Gameplan: Control the Clock, Dominate the LOS, Allow Carr to pick apart their pass defense, keep brayd off the field.

The Passing Game: Davante Adams will be our no.1 WR and he'll more than likely get covered by DRC and we'll try to get Adams the ball as much as possible unless he's double teamed. Sammy Watkins will operate as our no.2 WR and we'll try and get him some deep targets and get him involved on some screens and crossing routes to take advantage of his speed. With Jamison Crowder finally playing up to his talent level we'll try to get him some targets but since he's going up against Chris Harris I don't expect he'll get open very often. While Louisana possess some excellent CBs their safeties aren't exactly world beaters with Weddle taking a step back this year and Bethea being a stopgap we'll try and get our RBs heavily involved in the passing game so we can take advantage of Lousiana's LBs in coverage. Louisiana has a good defense but outside of it's CBs it's fairly average overall and we feel like we can exploit their weaknesses mostly by controlling the clock and using Long Possessions to keep Brady off the field. We're going to commit to the run and use our RBs as much as possible since they're a matchup nightmare for Louisiana. We'll try and get Austin Hooper his usual 5-50-1 statline and we'll use some 2 TE sets to help with Louisiana's pass rush as well, we'll leave a RB/TE in to pass protect as it's needed.

The Running Game: Jordan Howard will be our main RB with LeSean McCoy mixing in as our 3rd down/pass catching back and I'd expect a 55:45 touches split between the two. We're going to try and get at least 40 minutes with our offense on the field so Brady can sit on the sideline, once we establish the run and tire out their defense we'll start taking some shots down the field to Watkins/Crowder/Adams who should be able to make a bunch of plays. 

The Blocking: Our blocking isn't terrible but with our focus on running the ball we should be able to keep Carr fairly well protected. Luke Joekel returns to the lineup at LG and I'd expect he'd pick up his play from where left off as a solid but not great blocker.

TDLR; Keep Brady off the field, Win the TOP battle, Run the Ball.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: Hit Brady, Don't commit stupid penalties, Be Disciplined, Force Turnovers, Play Man coverage.

Pass Defense: There are a few ways to beat Brady and as much as I'd love to claim Bernard Pollard off waivers that's not going to work this week so instead we'll be doing the ole fashioned way of beating Brady. Playing man coverage and letting our pass rush get to Brady which will eventually force Brady to fear the pass rush and start making mistakes. Unlike Brady we cannot make mistakes Brady thrives off mistakes and we will be play disciplined football. As for how we will actually defend the pass... We're not going to cover one WR with one specific CB instead we're going to play man coverage for 75% of the game and force them to beat us through the air and let our pass rush disrupt Brady, Jimmy Smith will cover Michael Thomas on most of the snaps though. Jason McCourty will man the slot and Johnathan Joeseph will man the other outside CB spot with Bashaud Breeland being our no.4 CB. If we're going to win this game we need to get to Brady and that will be up to my d-line and LBs we use to Blitz Brady on occassion, we should get some pressure on Brady but he is still fairly well protected. Losing Ogbah sucks but Robert Quinn re-takes his spot as the edge Rusher across from T.J Watt. We're going to rotate our d-line heavily this week to keep them fresh and make sure they're good to late in the second half. I'm not too concerned about the run given how good my front seven has played all year but we'll still be ready for it. Since Brady loves his TE's we'll have Jenkins ready to cover Ertz along with using some 3 safety looks with Daniel Sorenson on occassion. James White is a massive threat in the passing game if Louisiana decides to use him and we'll be ready for that as well.

Run Defense: Louisiana has one of the best o-lines in BDL and I'd expect they'll run the ball quite a bit to counter our pass rush and while their RBs aren't exactly all stars they're still solid players and we will respect the run. Once we shut down the running game however that will force Louisiana to turn to the passing game and use their RBs as pass catchers so we'll be prepared for that. We'll play goaline defense, nickel and all the other defenses as the situation calls for it and we'll rotate our front seven players to keep them fresh.

TDLR; Stop the run, Control the LOS, Hit Brady, Make Plays.

Going with the Jizz here. I like the weapons Brady has and it's Brady. I also don't know about Watt playing RE. He may get bulldozed. I also like how the Jizz secondary matches up with Portland's receivers. Although Crowder should shake and bake Logan a bit. I would have matched the better quicker corner on him in CHJ.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Going with the Jizz here. I like the weapons Brady has and it's Brady. I also don't know about Watt playing RE. He may get bulldozed. I also like how the Jizz secondary matches up with Portland's receivers. Although Crowder should shake and bake Logan a bit. I would have matched the better quicker corner on him in CHJ.

I was about to counter the whole T.J Watt would get bulldozed arughment but he's 236 pounds. So yeah you're right about that.

I think Portland has a good enough secondary and pass rush to disrupt Brady and keep them out of the endzone for the most part. Though T.J watt is a big liability in the run game I think Portland can do enough damage on defense to pull it out.

Portland's weapons all stepped up this week and with a good gameplan as well I'll give them the nod 23-24 Portland.

18 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I was about to counter the whole T.J Watt would get bulldozed arughment but he's 236 pounds. So yeah you're right about that.

He has at least ten more pounds on him than that. But he still would get handled in the run game with no one absorbing blocks in front of him.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

He has at least ten more pounds on him than that. But he still would get handled in the run game with no one absorbing blocks in front of him.

Yep going forward I'll have to move him to LB or just move entirely to a 3-4 defense. 

Archived