kingseanjohn

Who wins?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bengals
    • Chiefs
    • America
    • Carl Cheffers… please not Cheffers

I don't think it impacts his legacy all that much, but I personally think he's on track to be the GOAT. So a loss to Burrow would do mean I could no longer in good faith have Mahomes over him - 4 in a row and two playoff wins would be too much to overlook. Especially when Mahomes likely had the better team for two of those meetings at least.

So it probably throw him off the GOAT track as well.

I also think another loss has psychological impact at this point.

27 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I don't think it impacts his legacy all that much, but I personally think he's on track to be the GOAT. So a loss to Burrow would do mean I could no longer in good faith have Mahomes over him - 4 in a row and two playoff wins would be too much to overlook. Especially when Mahomes likely had the better team for two of those meetings at least.

So it probably throw him off the GOAT track as well.

I also think another loss has psychological impact at this point.

How is he currently on track to be the GOAT? He'd need at least 6 more Super Bowl wins to be in the conversation.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don’t think it does at all - his initial success set the bar so incredibly high, even a few hits will bring it down a bit, but it’s still a HoF trajectory.

Dan Marino did less at this point in his career - and didn’t exactly win from this point in his career onwards - but nobody really questioned his validity, he was a walking HoFer in a golden age of QBs.

Mahomes is no different, really… except he’s accomplished more.

Obviously Mahomes is an all timer but a loss Sunday hurts his chance at potentially being the GOAT one day.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously Mahomes is an all timer but a loss Sunday hurts his chance at potentially being the GOAT one day.

I mean - if at any point he wins three in a row, he’ll immediately get back in the discussion. Too early to DQ him from GOAT talk - I mean, it took Tom Brady nine years to go from 3 to 4; Prior to that, he was behind Joe Montana and I’m pretty sure everyone figured Montana would hold onto that title by year six or so.

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How is he currently on track to be the GOAT? He'd need at least 6 more Super Bowl wins to be in the conversation.

This is an aggressively bad take. Suppose maybe if you're a boomer that thinks Bill Russell is the GOAT in basketball. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

idk about 6, but there's a 0% chance he can overtake Brady as the GOAT unless he wins at least 3 more rings.

Everyone can define GOAT differently, but 4 rings is probably where I'd entertain the idea that Mahomes should be above Brady. Rings matter, but not as much as in basketball when 1 player can have a much bigger impact on winning. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

I mean - if at any point he wins three in a row, he’ll immediately get back in the discussion. Too early to DQ him from GOAT talk - I mean, it took Tom Brady nine years to go from 3 to 4; Prior to that, he was behind Joe Montana and I’m pretty sure everyone figured Montana would hold onto that title by year six or so.

Oh don't you worry. Joe is still the GOAT, because..."rougher era" and...still with his swimsuit model wife, and "stuff"... :)

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's the RINGZZZZ argument I thought was only used for the NBA GOAT debate. I guess I was wrong.

Football being the ultimate team sport, someone could easily pass Brady without the Super Bowl wins. And Mahomes first few years are significantly better than Brady's

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

That's the RINGZZZZ argument I thought was only used for the NBA GOAT debate. I guess I was wrong.

Football being the ultimate team sport, someone could easily pass Brady without the Super Bowl wins. And Mahomes first few years are significantly better than Brady's

Every ring you take away from Mahomes makes it unrealistically more difficult for him to pass Brady. If he never wins another ring, what career stats would he need to reasonably pass Brady as the greatest of all time (which I differentiate from "best" of all time)? It would have to be something absurd, better than he currently has. If he gets 4 rings, that would make him more on pace.