2023 Bills Offseason Discussion

Nick

I think the priority for me is offensive line by a pretty wide margin. The Chiefs won a SB while trading away a top 5 WR and having one elite skill player and then a bunch of JAGS. A big part of why they won a SB is because their offensive line is filthy and completely shut down the Eagles pass rush. Our offensive line got abused by the Bengals with mainly a 4 man rush. We aren't going to win a SB with below average to mediocre offensive line. Protect Josh Allen first and then start adding weapons.

14 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

No comp picks for us. 49ers got 7 comp picks lol. Shouldn't we have received a comp pick for Daboll?

No, only minority candidates that get hired net compensatory picks. 

Bills will almost surely get some next year with the loss of Poyer and Edmunds 

@soflbillsfan I have said several times this thread that Oliver isn't worth that price. And that's why I am okay with trading him. Doesn't mean he isn't their best IDL or that it wouldn't create a hole. 

The Bills obviously need to put more resources into the offenses. I've said that too. But that doesn't mean they should ignore the defense or stop completely trying to upgrade the DL

16 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Ridiculous that we weren't in on Chuck Clark especially at that asking price. Is the plan really a converted Benford and Hamlin? Or wasting a first round pick on a safety?

You don't know that we weren't. 

I would be completely fine with Benford and Hyde as the starting S duo this season. 

13 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

@soflbillsfan I have said several times this thread that Oliver isn't worth that price. And that's why I am okay with trading him. Doesn't mean he isn't their best IDL or that it wouldn't create a hole. 

The Bills obviously need to put more resources into the offenses. I've said that too. But that doesn't mean they should ignore the defense or stop completely trying to upgrade the DL

Im not saying ignore the defense in anyway they should be spending those day 3 picks finding another DT to fill in the holes and add depth. If Oliver can be moved, I dont even care if they use the pick they get him for by spending it on another DT. I guess I missed the part about Oliver not being worth the price so sorry for that. I love the bills and dont want to question beane or mcd because they have done such a great job but every year they seem to focus on that dline in some way and every year it continues to bite them come playoff time. I know they didnt plan on Von going down for an injury but it seems like the front office guys struggle figuring out the dline when it comes to drafting. Especially when you see guys like Wilkins and Lawrence who were drafted after Oliver and have made a bigger impact with their team then Oliver has done. I am hopeful Rousseau gets it as this needs to be the future threat that will be here long term. 

Would it be smart to trade for Derrick Henry, ideally a 4th rd pick and an extension to reduce his cap hit is what I am thinking. Not sure if its enough but having a rb at 240 lbs would be an instant impact player even at 29 years old. I think his size would mask some of the deficiencies on the oline's run blocking but also help alleviate allen having to do everything. Him and cook would be a nasty duo.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Would it be smart to trade for Derrick Henry, ideally a 4th rd pick and an extension to reduce his cap hit is what I am thinking. Not sure if its enough but having a rb at 240 lbs would be an instant impact player even at 29 years old. I think his size would mask some of the deficiencies on the oline's run blocking but also help alleviate allen having to do everything. Him and cook would be a nasty duo.

I wouldn't be against it but I'd also personally prefer Bijan Robinson at 27 if he was there. 

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I wouldn't be against it but I'd also personally prefer Bijan Robinson at 27 if he was there. 

Hopefully in this situation the oline is solved and they have a solid wr weapon all done in free agency for them to get Bijan. I am not against it just dont know how good he would be behind the current oline group. 

For what its worth the Bills Brass apparently had dinner with Bijan the night before his pro day

Edited by soflbillsfan

On 3/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Billsfaninptown said:

I think the priority for me is offensive line by a pretty wide margin. The Chiefs won a SB while trading away a top 5 WR and having one elite skill player and then a bunch of JAGS. A big part of why they won a SB is because their offensive line is filthy and completely shut down the Eagles pass rush. Our offensive line got abused by the Bengals with mainly a 4 man rush. We aren't going to win a SB with below average to mediocre offensive line. Protect Josh Allen first and then start adding weapons.

Having Andy Reid instead of Ken Dorsey also played a pretty significant role. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Having Andy Reid instead of Ken Dorsey also played a pretty significant role. 

That it did. I will say though Josh Allen’s best stretch of his career was when the Bills offensive line was playing really well towards the end of the 2021 season. I think the offensive line took a big step backwards this year and there’s not much anyone can do when you can’t protect. Look at the Chiefs when their O line fell apart due to injuries. The Bucs completely dominated them and Mahomes and Reid looked pedestrian.

50 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

That it did. I will say though Josh Allen’s best stretch of his career was when the Bills offensive line was playing really well towards the end of the 2021 season. I think the offensive line took a big step backwards this year and there’s not much anyone can do when you can’t protect. Look at the Chiefs when their O line fell apart due to injuries. The Bucs completely dominated them and Mahomes and Reid looked pedestrian.

What spots on the OL do you need to upgrade?