2023 Bills Offseason Discussion

Nick

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Nobody gets fired, nobody loses a job other than a safeties coach, Eric Washington apparently has permanent job security.

We're content with this position we're in, and that sucks.

I definitely think that Washington should have been let go. Beane has invested a lot into the DL to get this kind of return. Is this roster as talented as we thought it was though? I believe that all 4 teams that made it to the conference championship game had better overall rosters than us. If you go unit by unit I think you will see that this team is overrated in my opinion. What unit outside of QB would you say is elite or close to elite? Only position I can think of is LB, and we might be losing Edmunds. This team is living off of the 2017 and 2018 drafts and hasn't really put an above average draft class together since 2018. We haven't invested in the OL in the early rounds and it shows imo. I hope we get a stud interior OL early in the draft this year.

We should also draft another DL in the first 3 rounds too. I hate that McDermott values size and containment more than a freak athlete with a little bend and twitch. This DL has zero juice outside of Von Miller who is 34 years old. Would it be to much to ask for to get a twitchy pass rusher? I am tired of slow plodders like Epenesa and Basham. I think the first three rounds should be OL, DL, and WR, unless someone drops really far and the value is to good to pass up.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, .Buzz said:

Seems to have a lot of fans up there? 

He has fans and the players like him. It has been a mixed bag in conversations about Hall on whether or not the move is good or bad. One being why the bills didnt extend him and are letting him walk seems interesting as they didnt really seem to want to keep him around. Then the argument can be made that he hasn't truly developed a WR while Davis has had ups and downs nothing has been consistent with the young guys to warrant him to stick around. Will be interested to know who his replacement is but I think a change is best for some of these coaches 

On 1/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, Trentwannabe said:

The disconnect from the front office to the coaching staff is what has me worried. We drafted Cook in the 2nd round and the guy gets 21 receptions all year. We signed OJ Howard to be a TE 2 (and yeah he isn't any good) but we cut him and the whole talk of move 12 personnel went out the window. 

Shakir was outplaying McKenzie back in October but got buried.

This staff hasn't shown they can draft or develop OL. 
Cody Ford - bust
Spencer Brown - still has potential but doesn't do any one thing overly well
Tommy Doyle - been switched between Guard and Tackle before season ending injury
Jack Anderson - claimed off waivers
Luke Tenuta - claimed off waivers

Terrell Bernard and Baylon Spector did what exactly for this team?

Elam and Benford look great. This staff does know how to coach up DB's. But in saying that, Jaquan Johnson is awful and Hamlin wasn't spectacular before the injury. 

As for that free agent list. Edmunds is the only one I actually want back. The Bills can live without the rest. 

Spencer Brown is imo the biggest disappointment after an encouraging rookie year. He was pretty bad all year 

Shakir re emerged later in the season. I think he will be pencilled in as the slot guy. I fully expect us to add a WR in the draft as well

Edited by BillsGuy82

On 2/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Nobody gets fired, nobody loses a job other than a safeties coach, Eric Washington apparently has permanent job security.

We're content with this position we're in, and that sucks.

I expected the OL coach to get the boot. The regression of Spencer Brown and Ryan Bates and Saffold busting out his only year were bad

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I expected the OL coach to get the boot. The regression of Spencer Brown and Ryan Bates and Saffold busting out his only year were bad

Unfortunately it is looking like no other changes will be coming to the coaching staff. Saffold is on the wrong side of 30 and I think thats what we saw this year. Hopefully he isnt back unless it is a vet min on back up role. As for bates I have been screaming not to match that Chicago offer from the beginning he is just not meant to be a starter and it has proven that to be the case. Spencer Brown has been a total failure and there was a reason why he was a late rd pick in the draft should have known he is a project and we were fortunate enough to see flashes his rookie year, it also helped when Daryl Williams stepped in to RG to help out Brown. Having a guy like bates next to Brown has shown to be the reason for Browns complete regression because Williams covered a few of his flaws his rookie year for him and bates was in over his head and that led to bad oline play from the both of them. Kromer is there or not those 3 were a massive liability and I just hope beane steps up and goes bananas on olineman this offseason. While Edmunds and poyer would be nice to come back I would rather see beane look to use that money and spend it on RG Seumalo from Eagles and RT McGlinchey from Niners. Go in to the draft and look for a Guard or a WR in round 1. Got to start lookin at the 2 teams that are beating you in playoffs and find ways to get over the hump as defense clearly isnt going to get you there after the last 3 years performances in the postseason

As far as getting things started for the team in the offseason, theres a few things I could see happening:

Players like Josh, Tre & Morse get their contracts restructured.

Guys like McKenzie, Boogie, Epenesa & Settle getting the boot.

Could see a couple other smaller contract guys get restructures or extensions like Hines to free up some more space.

Doing things like this would give us roughly 20-25m in cap space. Hopefully use that to attack the OL, DBs and another weapon for Josh.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Taylor Lewan released. I wonder if he has any tread left ?

He does but he is saying he will not play any other position then LT which means Dawkins would have to be willing to moved to LG and that is a high paying guard so not sure if that is the move to make. I like the guy from the niners McGlinchey think he would be a massive upgrade to the RT spot

On 2/21/2023 at 11:52 AM, DER10N92 said:

As far as getting things started for the team in the offseason, theres a few things I could see happening:

Players like Josh, Tre & Morse get their contracts restructured.

Guys like McKenzie, Boogie, Epenesa & Settle getting the boot.

Could see a couple other smaller contract guys get restructures or extensions like Hines to free up some more space.

Doing things like this would give us roughly 20-25m in cap space. Hopefully use that to attack the OL, DBs and another weapon for Josh.

Boogie and Epenesa getting the boot doesn't make much sense at this point it is cheap depth which would mean 2 more holes to fill. Epenesa is only 1.8 mil not sure what other pass rusher you are going to get at that price. not to mention that would be 400k in dead cap so really 1.4 mil in filling a spot. Same with Boogie 1.5 mil with them having dead cap of 750k and only clearing 750k is tough to fill that spot. 

I agree on Mckenzie and Settle being let go though I think they both were disappointing.

Tre is a tough restructure as it would only clear about 3.5 mil which isnt much and pushing more guarantees down the road. Josh, is a definite move without hesitation.

A lot of talk about moving Ed Oliver for a day 2 pick. I wouldnt be against the idea as it frees up 10.7 mil and he has been underwhelming for where he was drafted. That money can be invested on the offensive side of the ball. By keeping him not only would it be 10.7 mil you then have to assume he would need a pricey extension or leave without anything in return next year. With the way the defense rotates lineman I think they can fill this spot with a cheaper option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, soflbillsfan said:

He does but he is saying he will not play any other position then LT which means Dawkins would have to be willing to moved to LG and that is a high paying guard so not sure if that is the move to make. I like the guy from the niners McGlinchey think he would be a massive upgrade to the RT spot

Yea but wed be upgrading two positions at once imo. McGlinchey would be a nice get

Edited by BillsGuy82