2023 Bills Offseason Discussion

Nick

What do we do to turn this around?

Bad News:

We have very little cap space to work with and some major pieces hitting free agency. 

Upcoming Free Agents:

Jordan Poyer (31)
Tremaine Edmunds (24)
Devin Singletary (25)
Rodger Saffold (34)
Jordan Phillips (30)
Dane Jackson (26)
Shaq Lawson (28)
Cam Lewis
Jaquan Johnson
Tyrel Dodson
Tommy Sweeney
Case Keenum
Tyler Matakevich
Jamison Crowder
David Quessenberry
Taiwan Jones
Sam Martin
Greg Van Roten
Ike Boettger
Jake Kumerow
Dean Marlowe
Bobby Hart
AJ Klein

Good News:

We have Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs.. All-Pro Matt Milano deserves a mention too. 

NFL Draft:

Recent drafts have been very underwhelming...

FnHHmvtWYAAdhYR?format=jpg&name=medium

We're slated to pick 27th. What positions do we focus on? Who do you like there? 

If we take another defensive linemen I may lose my mind. Granted, we probably need someone in the interior DL. But... we really need to find another playmaker at WR. OL will need an upgrade, especially the interior. Safety needs a look with Hyde coming back on the final year of his deal and Poyer gone.  

Edited by Nick

Jets fan here-Sorry for your guys loss yesterday. Lived in Rochester my whole life went to college at UB so I'm pretty familiar with the team and a lot of my friends are bills fans.

I've had a question since last offseason and I'm curious if anyone here sees it this way. Why has nothing been done to improve the WR room? Diggs is fantastic but he's about to be 30. I think we can all agree that Gabe Davis nothing special. But when you look at those drafts they haven't really done anything to bring any WR talent in for Allen. When I look at a team like KC they're constantly bringing in weapons for Mahomes yet it feels like Buffalo has done nothing to improve the room.

I get that the secondary may be priority #1 this offseason but they have to try to make a move for a WR, no?

The disconnect from the front office to the coaching staff is what has me worried. We drafted Cook in the 2nd round and the guy gets 21 receptions all year. We signed OJ Howard to be a TE 2 (and yeah he isn't any good) but we cut him and the whole talk of move 12 personnel went out the window. 

Shakir was outplaying McKenzie back in October but got buried.

This staff hasn't shown they can draft or develop OL. 
Cody Ford - bust
Spencer Brown - still has potential but doesn't do any one thing overly well
Tommy Doyle - been switched between Guard and Tackle before season ending injury
Jack Anderson - claimed off waivers
Luke Tenuta - claimed off waivers

Terrell Bernard and Baylon Spector did what exactly for this team?

Elam and Benford look great. This staff does know how to coach up DB's. But in saying that, Jaquan Johnson is awful and Hamlin wasn't spectacular before the injury. 

As for that free agent list. Edmunds is the only one I actually want back. The Bills can live without the rest. 

2 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Jets fan here-Sorry for your guys loss yesterday. Lived in Rochester my whole life went to college at UB so I'm pretty familiar with the team and a lot of my friends are bills fans.

I've had a question since last offseason and I'm curious if anyone here sees it this way. Why has nothing been done to improve the WR room? Diggs is fantastic but he's about to be 30. I think we can all agree that Gabe Davis nothing special. But when you look at those drafts they haven't really done anything to bring any WR talent in for Allen. When I look at a team like KC they're constantly bringing in weapons for Mahomes yet it feels like Buffalo has done nothing to improve the room.

I get that the secondary may be priority #1 this offseason but they have to try to make a move for a WR, no?

Kept trying to put band-aide veteran fixes on it. 2020 was Brown moving into the 2 role (from WR1), last year was Emmanuel Sanders and then this year the hope of Gabe Davis making the jump. The Bills lost a lot of receptions when Sanders and Beasley walked out the door and the Bills essentially hoped Davis and Mckenzie could make up for it. They obviously didn't.

WR, OL and either SS or MLB will be their biggest needs IMO. 

• Like 1

I've been on the WR2 train for 3 drafts it feels like. We've needed a premium pick spent there for years.

Gabe surprised us out the gate early in his career, but hasn't shown much since and has obviously regressed. McKenzie didn't step up this year either. Shakir has been great in a limited role, but the staff takes their damn time giving them more snaps. Frustrated me all year. Same with James Cook... slow start and also not used in the capacity or role he was hyped as. 21 catches in 18 games? That's on Dorsey and the staff. Get him involved. I hope 2023 is different and he's looked at as a feature back, that's why you drafted him in the 2nd round.   

If we don't acquire someone like DHop, which isn't realistic imo, we better spend an early pick (within the first 3 rounds) on WR. Pretty good chance we'll have 3 or so quality prospects to look at with pick 27 from what I'm seeing.

My biggest worry is Roquan has set the MLB market now at $20 mil. Are we paying Tremiane that? Seems a bit steep for me on a player who's is very inconsistent.

This is one position I would be OK getting older with if we can get more leadership, especially if we lose someone like Poyer. Lavonte David at $10 mil a year sounds more palatable (the amt bobby Wagner signed for last year) IMO

You might say Tremaine might not cost that much, but even at $15 mil, personally, would rather have a veteran presence.

I feel like this offseason should be all about the OL and pass rush. Protecting Josh should be our top priority pretty much every offseason. I know people want to draft a WR early which I wouldn’t hate if there aren’t any OL or DL worth a first round pick. My main argument is we had an elite offense with our current skill players and a weak OL. I think if we can upgrade the OL and give Josh time that will make everyone in this offense better. Winning  in the trenches along with having an elite QB is the recipe for having a contender for several years.

Edited by Billsfaninptown

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Beane is having his year end press conference right now.

One notable thing he said when talking about Ken Dorsey was finding more ways to support him as he enters year 2. So sounds like he'll be back

I figured Dorsey wasn’t going anywhere unless he got a HC job. Did Beane say anything about Frazier and the defense? If Eric Washington isn’t gone at the very least I will be really disappointed.

After a long season and no time to hop on here I am finally able to take a minute to check back in and see what the Bills can do this offseason.

As for coaching I think offensively the Bills were counting heavily on Allen to run the show to make up for Dorsey being a rookie OC and it clearly has failed us. I am sure people will come back and say but look at the stats and how well they performed but I can honestly tell you anyone of us having Josh Allen as the qb can run the same level of offense that Dorsey displayed this year. The consistent abandonment of the run game was tough to swallow, as soon as they were able to get the run game going it was quickly shut down and abandoned once the offense had back to back mediocre runs whether it was for a loss of 1, no gain, or 2-3 yard gain Dorsey quickly changed to pass only. We then trade for hines, drafted cook yet no screens were involved? Heck we used the jet sweep quite a bit with daboll and you have hines lined up out there yet you never tried that? These constant deep routes are very frustrating. Basically Beane said Allen carry them and he did, which involved turn overs and extra hits. Its time that they make a change and while Mcdermott is a Defensive mind HC you have to accept that the offense is whats going to get you there and can no longer commit to trying to pay pieces on both sides of the ball. I love poyer and edmunds and through out the entire year I wanted them extended. Heck I wanted him paid over knox and now that the season is over it is just not it. We need to pay for an oline which has been mediocre at best and we need to get Allen another weapon outside of diggs. Shakir made a couple of good plays the last couple of games but needs more time to develop as he has been inconsistent like the others. Not only did he make key drops but his inability to block for a wr or rb running the ball had cost them some TFL. We cant count on Gabe Davis as it showed thinking he would be the big guy after the KC playoff game, he has just been dropping the ball left and right. Mckenzie needs to go, I know Brown and Beasley will not be back so it really leaves them with 3 core WRs for next year (Diggs, Shakir, and Davis). Saffold is old and was always being flagged at times 10 total penalties and gave up 2 sacks, he is going to be 35 so I do not see him being extended. Morse had his 6th concussion and with his cap hit it may be best to also let him go and move on from him. I said it from the beginning that bates is a bench/backup and it showed. The IOL needs to be redone completely. I love Dawkins personality but to me he is overrated as a player and it may be the lack of talent next to him or maybe he is better suited inside but the bills need to figure him out as his cap is large and no way from moving him this year. Spencer Brown is just flat out bad, always getting beat and he needs help. If you plan on keeping him at RT then you need to find a stud RG to help him improve as his better game play was when Daryl Williams was next to him at RG in 2021 at times.

Defensively I can no longer accept the mentality of bend dont break, teams sat there and picked them apart. Leslie Frazier if he is the one making the calls, it may be time to part ways with him. Spent 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks on dlineman yet you only generated 2 sacks in the postseason with both teams having backup olineman in there? The top way of winning games is winning in the trenches and both games they lost it on both sides of the ball. Von going down completely changed the look of that defense. Daquan jones early on showed flashes but was lost throughout the year. Ed oliver continues to be frustrating as he isnt the dominant person we all hoped for he continues to be inconsistent and as disruptive as he should be, especially seeing the other DTs that were drafted after him making bigger impacts. Again I love edmunds but I just dont see the value of paying him when the team needs to focus on building up a more high power offense.

All in all beane needs to strengthen this teams identity by helping out the offense while the def may suffer a bit but in the long run it has helped teams in the past such as Kc and New England. I am sure dorsey sticks but I would love to go out and find a veteran OC who has been there and done that, look no farther then a Bills player from years past that has both experience of OC and HC, Frank Reich. Finding a DC that can be more aggressive along the trenches, heck if you keep frazier find a new DLine coach that can get more out of these high draft picks. 

Restructures to clear cap space: Allen clears 21.1 mil, Diggs, 5.4 mil, Milano 4.1 mil, Hines 1.7 mil..totalling 32.3 mil in cap savings for 2023

Cuts to clear space: Morse 6.3 mil, Settle 2.2 mil, Neal 2.2 mil, Isiah Mckenzie 2.2 mil..totalling 12.9 mil in cap savings. 

Extension for Ed Oliver if they do could also clear some of his cap hit of 10.75 mil

With out the extension of Oliver and with the cap situation they currently have in restructures and cuts the bills will be around 30 mil in cap space predicated on the cap being at 220 mil. I know pushing the can down the road isnt ideal however the tv deals are still coming in and this has yet to count towards the 2 billion youtube is paying for the new sunday ticket that will allow an extra billion per year to be spread out amongst the teams cap. End of rant

Saw a few local reports putting out a hypothetical scenario about a trade in which Raiders are said to be shopping renfrow. Ed Oliver who is going to be looking at 10.75 mil cap this year plus an extension for a trade of Hunter Renfrow who is due 11 mil this year however he could be looking for an extension in which it would reduce his cap this year. Ed is 26 while Hunter is 27 years old. I think with the defense constantly rotating out dlineman and how oliver has shown that he has promise but also shown that he is a liability it could be an intriguing move. This will not only clear up the cap but it will also put the team in one direction rather then trying to play both sides of the line. Meaning they cant afford to constantly pay guys on both sides of the ball and with the AFC being so competitive offensively it would be wise to make the adjustment and commit solely to the offense while the defense may struggle, the offense could be powerful enough to out match opposing teams. Giving up 27 points this year, and 42 points last year and 38 the year prior to the 2 teams the bills will likely face every time it may be best to accept that the defense is going to be a liability and the best way to compete is build the offense. The bills then can have Diggs, Renfrow, Davis, and Shakir as their 4 wr along with drafting 1 or 2.

I feel like none of our impending free agents will be kept, minus a few of the special teams guys. But Edmunds, Singletary, Poyer, etc. I don't see us keeping any of them. Edmunds and Poyer will be too much money and Singletary isn't a big need with how good Cook played down the stretch plus still having Hines. We are already paying Milano big money and I can't see them paying two top LB, especially with Edmunds being inconsistent. 

I don't believe we will do much in Free Agency. As far as the draft, I could see us going LB or even Safety. But also wouldn't be opposed to getting a WR or OL. If we draft DL again, I might leave myself outside for the next blizzard. 

I believe we will see a few restructures/extensions too though to free up some cap space. Allen/Diggs/Knox/Miller could all see restructures. I could see Hines getting a short 1-2 year extension to lower his cap a bit. Oliver, i'm not too sure what we will do with him. Extending him would help our situation but he didn't really show much after Von went down, just like the rest of our DL.

Don't know why the Bills can't win that one game to get them to the Super Bowl but it must be very frustrating to take over the division and not live up to the expectations or hype. If the emotions of Damar can't get it done, will anything ever be able to!?! 🤔

Edited by Belle7