2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Has been consistently below average and reportedly wanted a pretty big contract.

"Has been consistently below average," Jawaan Taylor smugly stated stroking his 80mil check "and reportedly wanted a pretty big contract."

"Yeah he had graded extremely similar to me," replied former Cowboy Connor McGovern "I only got a bit over 7 mil a year for three years with an AFC favorite."

"I took his roster spot" Ben Powers said atop his 50 million dollar pile of cash "for a market-value amount obviously. Mike McGlinchey took just under 90mil so we know money was definitely an issue for our team."

"I had seven leg surgeries in the last two years," Nick Gates added "but Dalton Risner who played center and right tackle in college and left guard in the pros doesn't offer any positional versatility I do which is why I landed a three year deal around 6 per."

"I was also in the 2019 draft class with many of you, and I'd like to tell you about my PFF pass blocking grades of 40.9, 52.6, 49.2 over my first three years which has jumped to 66.8 this year!" chimed in Nate Davis his pockets rattling with 300 million dimes "Risner's PFF pass blocking grades of 69.8, 69.6, 73.6, and 72.6 show regression last year!"

"Boys," a distant voice from Atlanta representing the 2019 guard class rang out "Boys, I got over 100 million dollars to play guard. That's a billion dimes Davis. This is the new All-Pro number for our positon"

"All Pro!? Yeah, but Dalton Risner isn't an All Pro far from it!" fellow 2019 classmate and arguable NFL talent Dennis Daley who you may think is an awful player but landed a multi year contract with the Cardinals this offseason shouted.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Trojan said:

"Has been consistently below average," Jawaan Taylor smugly stated stroking his 80mil check "and reportedly wanted a pretty big contract."

"Yeah he had graded extremely similar to me," replied former Cowboy Connor McGovern "I only got a bit over 7 mil a year for three years with an AFC favorite."

"I took his roster spot" Ben Powers said atop his 50 million dollar pile of cash "for a market-value amount obviously. Mike McGlinchey took just under 90mil so we know money was definitely an issue for our team."

"I had seven leg surgeries in the last two years," Nick Gates added "but Dalton Risner who played center and right tackle in college and left guard in the pros doesn't offer any positional versatility I do which is why I landed a three year deal around 6 per."

"I was also in the 2019 draft class with many of you, and I'd like to tell you about my PFF pass blocking grades of 40.9, 52.6, 49.2 over my first three years which has jumped to 66.8 this year!" chimed in Nate Davis his pockets rattling with 300 million dimes "Risner's PFF pass blocking grades of 69.8, 69.6, 73.6, and 72.6 show regression last year!"

"Boys," a distant voice from Atlanta representing the 2019 guard class rang out "Boys, I got over 100 million dollars to play guard. That's a billion dimes Davis. This is the new All-Pro number for our positon"

"All Pro!? Yeah, but Dalton Risner isn't an All Pro far from it!" fellow 2019 classmate and arguable NFL talent Dennis Daley who you may think is an awful player but landed a multi year contract with the Cardinals this offseason shouted.

I'm assuming that he wanted something similar to what Powers received. 

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

We found Dalton Risner's FF account, y'all.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Do we overrate the market for star QB’s in Trades/Free agency? Generally speaking the instances when a star QB is on the market either as a Trade chip or free agent the market is never as big as fans/analysts assume. Look at Aaron Rodgers, outside of the Jets who REALLY pursued him? Deshaun Watson, there was rumors it was ten teams who were “interested” but didn’t it really come down to 3?  When Brady was a FA in 2020, it was really just the chargers and the Bucs. Peyton manning in 2012 had a rumored 12 teams who checked in but he dubbed 80% of those teams off the bat and it came down to Arizona, Denver and I believe Miami. 

Miami and Carolina were vying for Watson at the trade deadline in 2021. Then at least 12 teams got involved during the offseason. Cleveland. Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Washington, Carolina, Miami, Minnesota, and Atlanta. When the Texans opened trade discussions in March, 7 teams made offers. The Colts were one of the teams but were immediately told no because they were in division. Two other teams were eliminated because their offers didn't meet the Texans compensation threshold of three first-round picks. The Saints, Falcons, Panthers, and Browns were granted permission to talk to Watson. Watson had narrowed his choices to the Saints and Falcons two days before his eventual trade. He preferred to stay in the south and wanted to play for the Falcons (geography) or Saints (recent success). Then the Browns got back in it by basically giving him an offer he couldn't refuse the day before. It was a wrap.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, typecast said:

Miami and Carolina were vying for Watson at the trade deadline in 2021. Then at least 12 teams got involved during the offseason. Cleveland. Seattle, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Washington, Carolina, Miami, Minnesota, and Atlanta. When the Texans opened trade discussions in March, 7 teams made offers. The Colts were one of the teams but were immediately told no because they were in division. Two other teams were eliminated because their offers didn't meet the Texans compensation threshold of three first-round picks. The Saints, Falcons, Panthers, and Browns were granted permission to talk to Watson. Watson had narrowed his choices to the Saints and Falcons two days before his eventual trade. He preferred to stay in the south and wanted to play for the Falcons (geography) or Saints (recent success). Then the Browns got back in it by basically giving him an offer he couldn't refuse the day before. It was a wrap.

Yet the Browns are uniquely evil for trying to trade for Watson... 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, typecast said:

Dude had custom Falcons jerseys on hand 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we \get to this point, I really don't know what some teams are doing. 

I really think at this point the problem is as simple as basically nobody can afford him. This was not an offseason where teams were flush with cap space in the first place. Now, with most of free agency already done? It's even worse. Literally one NFL team could trade for him right now straight up and still have enough cap space for their draft picks. And that's the Bears. Every other team either has less than the $19.5M Hopkins would cost in base salary in cap space right now, or they will have less once the draft concludes. Of course, just about any team could find the right restructures/extensions/cuts to make it work, but that makes trading for him even less appealing. All of a sudden he costs draft picks, cap space, and either the loss of other players or the pushing of other costs into future years. Becomes a tough sell at that point.

Especially if it's true that Arizona will cut him if he reached that point. I think odds are high he'd actually get less money on the open market right now than what his current base salaries are the next two years. Biggest WR deal this offseason was what, $11M? I doubt he gets $19.5M for the 2023 season if he's cut at this point.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I really think at this point the problem is as simple as basically nobody can afford him. This was not an offseason where teams were flush with cap space in the first place. Now, with most of free agency already done? It's even worse. Literally one NFL team could trade for him right now straight up and still have enough cap space for their draft picks. And that's the Bears. Every other team either has less than the $19.5M Hopkins would cost in base salary in cap space right now, or they will have less once the draft concludes. Of course, just about any team could find the right restructures/extensions/cuts to make it work, but that makes trading for him even less appealing. All of a sudden he costs draft picks, cap space, and either the loss of other players or the pushing of other costs into future years. Becomes a tough sell at that point.

Especially if it's true that Arizona will cut him if he reached that point. I think odds are high he'd actually get less money on the open market right now than what his current base salaries are the next two years. Biggest WR deal this offseason was what, $11M? I doubt he gets $19.5M for the 2023 season if he's cut at this point.

Sure, the restructure makes it less appealing, but at the same time, at that point you're really probably only giving up a 6th? One of those situations where I would be good tacking on some void years, bringing down the cap hit this year for a 6th round pick for that kind talent. 

I'm not sure if Hopkins wants to rework the deal altogether (which may kind of be a non starter given his age and whatnot), but if he does that, he runs the risk of getting cut and ending up with less, as you suggest. 

There are a lot of moving parts in scenarios like this, but unless Hopkins is the one really nixing a trade, there's no reason it should get to a point where he's cut. If that's the case, there are a lot of competitive teams I really just feel like aren't really trying very hard lol.