2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

Re: Risner, I think there are 3 factors in play:

-He's a bad fit for a power scheme.   He definitely gets overwhelmed with power rushers, and doesn't get a ton of push in the run game, fit way better with zone than gap.

-He's coming off injury, which always makes it tough to commit multiple years at market rates.

-He likely thought he'd get the Powers level contract given his age and the market that was out there.   Now it's probably more of a case of getting a prove-it 1-year deal and re-enter the market next year.

With teams shifting focus on the power/gap run game negating cover-2 scheme (no coincidence of FB/blocking TE signings early in FA), having a guard who's vulnerable to power is a bigger issue than it would have been 5+ years ago.     When you add the injury history, and likely his camp's initial thought he'd be one of the top G's on the market, you get the perfect storm.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Risner, I think there are 3 factors in play:

-He's a bad fit for a power scheme.   He definitely gets overwhelmed with power rushers, and doesn't get a ton of push in the run game, fit way better with zone than gap.

-He's coming off injury, which always makes it tough to commit multiple years at market rates.

-He likely thought he'd get the Powers level contract given his age and the market that was out there.   Now it's probably more of a case of getting a prove-it 1-year deal and re-enter the market next year.

With teams shifting focus on the power/gap run game negating cover-2 scheme (no coincidence of FB/blocking TE signings early in FA), having a guard who's vulnerable to power is a bigger issue than it would have been 5+ years ago.     When you add the injury history, and likely his camp's initial thought he'd be one of the top G's on the market, you get the perfect storm.

I could see a team like the Browns giving him a 1-year, maybe even the 49ers.

lmao @ Lamar. kid has handled this thing so poorly it’s unreal. shocking that the QB who went on twitter to tell a fan to “eat a [richard]” after a loss doesn’t exactly instill owners with confidence that he’s emotionally mature enough to handle talking to other teams without compromising things on social media 🤔 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

lmao @ Lamar. kid has handled this thing so poorly it’s unreal. shocking that the QB who went on twitter to tell a fan to “eat a [richard]” after a loss doesn’t exactly instill owners with confidence that he’s emotionally mature enough to handle talking to other teams without compromising things on social media 🤔 

At this point, David Mulagetta should step in and negotiate for Lamar pro-bono for this contract. Just help this guy out…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Sure, the restructure makes it less appealing, but at the same time, at that point you're really probably only giving up a 6th? One of those situations where I would be good tacking on some void years, bringing down the cap hit this year for a 6th round pick for that kind talent. 

I think a lot of people are starting to have skewed expectations with regards to how teams should maneuver cap space. Paying a guy more than he is worth on the open market, and being fine with it just because you wont incur those costs for a few years, is not good business. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

There are a lot of moving parts in scenarios like this, but unless Hopkins is the one really nixing a trade, there's no reason it should get to a point where he's cut. If that's the case, there are a lot of competitive teams I really just feel like aren't really trying very hard lol.

He lost his NTC when he got suspended for PEDs. He does have some say in where he goes obviously, because his deal definitely needs to get reworked, but on paper he does not have control.

He is a possession WR who does not yac. I understand why teams may not want to pay top dollar for that, even if he is very skilled. 

With regards to the patriots report, BOB is their OC. There is NO SHOT that Nuk goes to NE. 

24 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think a lot of people are starting to have skewed expectations with regards to how teams should maneuver cap space. Paying a guy more than he is worth on the open market, and being fine with it just because you wont incur those costs for a few years, is not good business. 

He lost his NTC when he got suspended for PEDs. He does have some say in where he goes obviously, because his deal definitely needs to get reworked, but on paper he does not have control.

He is a possession WR who does not yac. I understand why teams may not want to pay top dollar for that, even if he is very skilled. 

With regards to the patriots report, BOB is their OC. There is NO SHOT that Nuk goes to NE. 

You're talking about paying him one year, maybe two. Dude looked absolutely fine last year and his money is less than 20 and less than 15 the next two season. 2 years, 35  is barely in the top 20, so I dont' think I'd call that "top dollar". 

His market value with regards to position is fine with what he makes. That puts him at Tyler Lockett money the next two years, less than 1.5 more than Hunter Renfrow. The idea that he may not make that kind of money if cut is conjecture. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he got 17.5 a year short term with void years. 

Being a competitive team with a dire need at receiver and not making that kind of move short term is also bad business. 2 years 17.5 or 1 year 19, isn't killing anyone in this league if you spread it out. This is what teams are doing now. 

If Hopkins wants to mess around and find out on a reworked deal, I get why there's no movement. But if that isn't the case, teams should make the move. 

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

He was more interested in dropping the I want to be traded bomb right as Harbaugh was going to speak to the media. Negotiating a contract through Twitter was a mistake, and I hope future players learn from this clown show.

Edited by 4thandInches
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Can I make a “If the Eagles Draft Bijan Robinson, Will You Stop Following His Career?” thread or will the mods just lock it 

I won't lock it if you put it in the draft forum, that's all I can promise

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Can I make a “If the Eagles Draft Bijan Robinson, Will You Stop Following His Career?” thread or will the mods just lock it 

I'll lock in if you put it in the Bears forum. Outside of that it would be up to a real mod.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I can confidently say I will lock any thread you make in Gen, News and the Texans sub.

Other than that, go wild.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can confidently say I will lock any thread you make in Gen, News and the Texans sub.

Other than that, go wild.

Ok et80 my friend how much due you think obj gets.

For me 4 million for a 700 yard receiver plus has not put up a 1000

Yards in 3 years seems pretty reasonable. Tuesday Morning Dog GIF by Sealed With A GIF

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Yards in 3 years seems pretty reasonable. Tuesday Morning Dog GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Hey friend! Great to see you here bud, hope all is well. 

I think OBJ is going to get a 2/$35mm deal with about $25mm of that guaranteed. I don’t think he’s worth that, but I think he’s still got something in him that will get a pretty hefty check from a desperate team.

dog roll over GIF

10 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Thought about debating you on 6 Superbowl wins for Brady then have 

You say wins are not a qb stat.

But for the board is yours