2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

31 minutes ago, Trojan said:

if a tag is $15mil less per year than what he wants, why would he play on a tag instead of sit out and become an expensive headache? I'd rather just get Daboll the QB he wants and move on. If Daboll wants DJ then yeah pay him or whatever. Theres no way a team pays DJ and gives the Giants a first that'd be the dream for them and piss so many mystery team fans off. Oh God as a Raider fan would I be mad to cut Carr then pay DJ more than Carr and a first round pick.

Because DJ doesn't have a lot of leverage at that point. A non-exclusive franchise tag means he and his agent can negotiate with other teams. Teams likely won't want him enough to pay him and give up 2 1st round picks, so then he goes back to the Giants. If they don't meet his demands, do you really think he'd sit after no team thought highly enough of him to sign him and lose a couple 1sts? Franchise QBs are worth that, so it resets DJ's market to be more realistic.

If he sits like you think he would, then he doesn't get paid, doesn't accrue a year, and he's right back where he started...except having sat a whole season. DJ has no standing to do something like this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

If he sits like you think he would, then he doesn't get paid, doesn't accrue a year, and he's right back where he started...except having sat a whole season. DJ has no standing to do something like this.

He'd never ever sit the entire season out though thats the point. He'd do what Vincent Jackson 1st did with the Chargers, Trent Williams did as a Redskin ,sit the alloted amount of games, to get that accrued season. Yet still make more over the last what 6-7 games then his entire Rookie contract? $12-13M?

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

He'd never ever sit the entire season out though thats the point. He'd do what Vincent Jackson 1st did with the Chargers, Trent Williams did as a Redskin ,sit the alloted amount of games, to get that accrued season. Yet still make more over the last what 6-7 games then his entire Rookie contract? $12-13M?

or the treaded "strained" oblique muscle/adductor/quad/gluteal/hamstring/calf, etc. 

good enough to collect and cash the check, but not quite good enough to play.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

or the treaded "strained" oblique muscle/adductor/quad/gluteal/hamstring/calf, etc. 

good enough to collect and cash the check, but not quite good enough to play.  

Was gonna post Ramsey as well but figured it be overkill. 

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Because DJ doesn't have a lot of leverage at that point. A non-exclusive franchise tag means he and his agent can negotiate with other teams. Teams likely won't want him enough to pay him and give up 2 1st round picks, so then he goes back to the Giants. If they don't meet his demands, do you really think he'd sit after no team thought highly enough of him to sign him and lose a couple 1sts? Franchise QBs are worth that, so it resets DJ's market to be more realistic.

If DJ has no leverage for that, what leverage does a playoff team have to allot 33mil to a QB that wants a different deal? DJ definitely has leverage. I am here, my ankle hurts or I have headaches. If the guy actually values himself as a multiple year 45 per year player he's not going to be okay with a 33mil tag. Let him hit the market and when he comes back reasonably you resign him.

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

If DJ has no leverage for that, what leverage does a playoff team have to allot 33mil to a QB that wants a different deal? DJ definitely has leverage. I am here, my ankle hurts or I have headaches. If the guy actually values himself as a multiple year 45 per year player he's not going to be okay with a 33mil tag. Let him hit the market and when he comes back reasonably you resign him.

Daniel Jones has had one solid year in 4 years. He is in no position to be wasting a year by faking injuries at a leadership position. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

If Jones has the exact same statistical performance but NYG are in a position like the Lions (where they have a high pick from a previous trade) - they move on from him. Only reason he’s in any position to want anything is because they made the playoffs and the QB market is a little sparse. Dude’s not good enough to sit a year and then get paid the following, he’s lucky to even be getting what he’ll be getting this year. 

This is Daniel Jones, not Joe Burrow.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not even sure that DJ is asking for 45 Million. On the surface it seems like such an absurd ask for someone who has had his career that it reeks of someone leaking stuff to put pressure on him to sign because they are a good bit a apart and Jones won't budge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If Jones has the exact same statistical performance but NYG are in a position like the Lions (where they have a high pick from a previous trade) - they move on from him. Only reason he’s in any position to want anything is because they made the playoffs and the QB market is a little sparse. Dude’s not good enough to sit a year and then get paid the following, he’s lucky to even be getting what he’ll be getting this year. 

This is Daniel Jones, not Joe Burrow.

I think they should go in literally any direction other than pay Daniel Jones. I don't get how 30mil is considered acceptable let alone 45. If he said he wanted 45 I'd rather have traded for Derek Carr's contract, and with David Carr having liked his time there I assume Derek would have a positive opinion of the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

There's definitely some hints that Trey Lance will be moved. Lynch scratching his head and looking uncomfortable answering the question is pretty damning.

Why would they trade him when they'd eat $20 million in dead cap and are not even sure Purdy will be ready to start Week 1?

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Why would they trade him when they'd eat $20 million in dead cap and are not even sure Purdy will be ready to start Week 1?

Because they could be more sold on Purdy and down on Lance and feel this could be the best time to sell at the highest position they possibly can. 

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

There's definitely some hints that Trey Lance will be moved. Lynch scratching his head and looking uncomfortable answering the question is pretty damning.

Might have been a possibility before the Purdy injury. They don't even know what surgery Purdy is getting yet and we have already pushed it to a point where he may not be able to start this year. 

I'd be very surprised if they move Lance now, especially given he's more expensive too trade than keep and his trade value is negligible. They already probably have to add 2 QBs as it is. 

Disagree that Lynch seemed uncomfortable about it, but there was a joke going around about touching his head. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Might have been a possibility before the Purdy injury. They don't even know what surgery Purdy is getting yet and we have already pushed it to a point where he may not be able to start this year. 

I'd be very surprised if they move Lance now, especially given he's more expensive too trade than keep and his trade value is negligible. They already probably have to add 2 QBs as it is. 

Disagree that Lynch seemed uncomfortable about it, but there was a joke going around about touching his head. 

Excited Gold GIF

• Like 1