What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What an infuriatingly passive-aggressive quote.

If Rodgers is willing to play for someone else and the Jets believe it, that would change the dynamics. Stupid quote by Rodgers to give, even if it is would've and it's all over, that gives the impression of other buyers.

Doesn't really matter if he said it. The Jets got a chance to speak to him. They should have a sense of who was and could be interested. As well as what he is looking for in a team.

Now that the Raiders are off table, I don’t really see another match (even with injuries) where Rodgers would play, that team would be interested and the Packers would be willing to trade him. Teams that are ready to win now, mostly have QB’s on big contracts. They are not taking on Rodgers’ contract. SF is likely the one exception that fits the first two options but GB isn’t trading him to SF.

Washington maybe??? Are they going to beat the Jets offer? Would Rodgers even play there? Not to mention they will be changing ownership. He doesn’t have a market.

He works for the Jets because he is a bridge QB who can help us win now and buys us time to find a FQB. Best Jets players are all under 25. It’s not like we have an old team that will need to be rebuilt.

Edited by SDotNova

I think our assessment of the value side of this is pretty similar, and would absolutely take a more hard line stance that the Packers get his value and nothing else based on the circumstances.

Part of this is made more difficult by the fact that the teams are picking nearly next to each other in the draft. A first round pick swap of 8 or so spots, plus a 2nd rounder fits this really well.

This got me thinking, are there NBA style pick swaps in the NFL? Can we trade Rodgers for a 2nd and then the right to swap picks with the Jets in round 1 in 24 and 25 let's say?

See it all the time in the NBA but I'm wracking my brain and I can't remember an NFL deal like that.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This got me thinking, are there NBA style pick swaps in the NFL? Can we trade Rodgers for a 2nd and then the right to swap picks with the Jets in round 1 in 24 and 25 let's say?

See it all the time in the NBA but I'm wracking my brain and I can't remember an NFL deal like that.

Don't know of any, and think it would be way tougher to make work even if the rules allowed it.

I think it can work in the NBA because the first pick is LeBron, the second pick is an all star, picks 3-14 are good, and picks 15-30 are bench fodder (or whatever, you get the idea), so you only need a few conditions before you're pretty well covered. Compare that to the NFL where there's significant value differences almost at a spot by spot level, and the amount of complicated scenarios goes up dramatically.

Also part of the reason I think we see so few trades for future picks despite the ridiculous win-now premium for picks in the NFL. The uncertainty with where they fall in the draft matters a lot, and so finding 2 sets of teams that have confidence in where they will be in a few years is a tall order.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What an infuriatingly passive-aggressive quote.

If Rodgers is willing to play for someone else and the Jets believe it, that would change the dynamics. Stupid quote by Rodgers to give, even if it is would've and it's all over, that gives the impression of other buyers.

I mean, he's been on record as saying that Adams is probably the guy he's closest to.  And the "intends to" part of his quote suggest he's open to other franchises.

Also part of the reason I think we see so few trades for future picks despite the ridiculous win-now premium for picks in the NFL. The uncertainty with where they fall in the draft matters a lot, and so finding 2 sets of teams that have confidence in where they will be in a few years is a tall order.

Pretty sure there's a 3 year rule when it comes to trading draft picks as opposed to the 7 years (sans the Stepien's rule) in the NBA.

51 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Great read from Andrew Brandt. He essentially agrees with everything most GB fans (and some other reasonable non-GB fans) have been pointing out: GB holds the leverage

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/20/aaron-rodgers-trade-packers-jets-leverage

TBF that article says the Packers have the advantage because they can hold Rodgers on the roster all year and because he can't imagine Joe Douglas saying ""the Packers wanted too much" and backing out. Those are both opinions that I think many (if not most) people would disagree with regardless of their overall stance on the trade.

He has a point that the Packers can wait longer, but they definitely cannot keep Aaron around for another year.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 2