What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

15 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

If only that was the way things worked. 

If you are in a pinch and need to sell your house and you think it's worth 500k but you list it on the market and everyone has an opportunity to bid on it and you only get 1 offer and it's 400k then the market price is effectively 400k.

To actually paint this scenario accurately, the person making the offer is employed by a home flipper who has told him, he needs to get another home purchased for the company by the end of the month. This also happens to be the only home on the market and the buyer and seller knows that.

Suddenly that 400k offer seems pretty lame!

Just now, Greene N White said:

Exactly. But the other fundamental difference here is that we really don't have any comps to this situation. In this particular situation the seller (Green Bay) can obviously set a baseline but market value is going to be determined by the buyer 10/10 times because they can't keep Rodgers. If Rodgers is interested in another team and that team is willing to pay more than the Jets that effectively becomes his market value and the Jets will be forced to beat it. But until we see that happen the market price legitimately is whatever the Jets are willing to pay because there are no other buyers at this very second, at least that we know of.

Yep, the concept of market price relies on a perfect market as an assumption. Which assumes unlimited buyers, sellers, and time.

This is an example of a buyer's monopoly.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Exactly. But the other fundamental difference here is that we really don't have any comps to this situation. In this particular situation the seller (Green Bay) can obviously set a baseline but market value is going to be determined by the buyer 10/10 times because they can't keep Rodgers. If Rodgers is interested in another team and that team is willing to pay more than the Jets that effectively becomes his market value and the Jets will be forced to beat it. But until we see that happen the market price legitimately is whatever the Jets are willing to pay because there are no other buyers at this very second, at least that we know of.

One year of Matt Ryan just went for a 3rd round pick, one year of Carson Wentz was just two 3rd round picks and a 2nd round pick swap. 

We can ask for mid 1st round value for 1 year of Rodgers and have a leg to stand on.

There's plenty of ways to skin this cat if you want to keep 13, as long as we get the total value of a mid 1st.

43, plus a pick swap in every round between GB and NYJ is worth the 32nd pick in the draft. Add Elijah Moore and Jeremy Ruckert and you could easily argue thats mid 1st value. 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:23 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Fair compensation.

Would be a 2023 day 2 pick, 2024 conditional pick.

Anything more than that is asking for too much. The Jets trying to win next season isn't going to give away the 13th overall pick when that very well could be a instant impact starter for us. 

We have holes still on the OL, DL, LB, and safety. We need draft picks where we do most of our work on improving the team usually. 

Expecting a ton back for a QB pushing 40 who maybe plays 1 year is ridiculous. No one around the league believes that other than the Packers. In the end, the Packers will take what they can get because this benefits both teams. The Packers get their wish of moving on so they can start Love on his 4th year of his rookie contract, the Jets get a QB for the next year maybe 2. 

Anyone thinking a day 2 pick and a 2024 conditional pick is peanuts is ridiculous. 

An instant starter?  You mean like an instant starting QB who is, regardless of age or diminished production last season compared to the two seasons prior, still visibly better in virtually every comparable metric to any starting QB you currently have on your roster?  That kind of instant starter?

Aaron Rodgers at QB moves the needle for the Jets more in the "win next season" column than ANY rookie "instant starter" they could get at #13... period.  I don't particularly like the guy personally, but I'm not going to delude myself about what he brings to the table.  And if the Jets truly are in win-now mode then getting him into the fold sooner than later (even if that means paying slightly over odds) is the way that game works.

If Rodgers is moved, I'm pretty damn confident a FRP is changing hands... even if it's a conditional 1st (i.e. a 2nd this year and a conditional 2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if Rodgers is on the roster by the start of that league year).

And honestly, people are putting a bit too much credence in Rodgers saying he "was genuinely thinking about retirement."  Sure, he was.  That totally wasn't another attention-seeking move by him like we seeming get every offseason this decade, because he's disappointed that he got dumped from/out of the playoffs, or that the Packers opted for the same path with him that they did with Favre - but he thought he was special.  If/when he team is winning, suddenly he's quiet as a clam... until one of his peers starts getting more attention.  Dude's a diva that Ochocinco wishes he could have been.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, the concept of market price relies on a perfect market as an assumption. Which assumes unlimited buyers, sellers, and time.

This is an example of a buyer's monopoly.

So because Joe Douglas is guaranteed his job for 9 more months it's a buyer monopoly? You're just so far off base with this.

Green Bay's brass has total job security, and their QB for next year. The Jets have neither.

This is a good old fashioned standoff. For every way the Jets should have leverage they lose it by everyone knowing the outcome of Rodgers decision, their owner publicly stating he wants Rodgers at all costs, all other realistic QB options gone, and the Jets brass having 20 wins over the last 4 years and fighting to keep jobs.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Why the triangle shaming here? All triangles are beautiful, reaching an exact 180°. Man talk about acute minded…

Because anyone with a lick of common sense know that cowbell will always trump triangle as a percussion instrument.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One year of Matt Ryan just went for a 3rd round pick, one year of Carson Wentz was just two 3rd round picks and a 2nd round pick swap. 

We can ask for mid 1st round value for 1 year of Rodgers and have a leg to stand on.

There's plenty of ways to skin this cat if you want to keep 13, as long as we get the total value of a mid 1st.

43, plus a pick swap in every round between GB and NYJ is worth the 32nd pick in the draft. Add Elijah Moore and Jeremy Ruckert and you could easily argue thats mid 1st value. 

I think 43 plus a conditional pick next year that could become a first is about the same. Also, Elijah Moore is not going to Green Bay IMO. He and Mike Lafleur had huge problems last year I don't see his brother Matt wanting him.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So because Joe Douglas is guaranteed his job for 9 more months it's a buyer monopoly?

No, it's a buyer's monopoly because the asset you're trying to get rid of won't play ball unless he goes to one specific buyer.

If the house said it would set itself on fire unless it was sold for Jimmy down the street for $400k, you're selling it to Jimmy down the street for $400k.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

Indy should be making offers.. trade for Rodgers, sign his buddies that still need jobs, move down and draft a receiver.. got yourself a stew goin'

If GB opened it up Indy would make a lot of sense. Kyle Shanahan would pick up the phone so fast, same with River Boat Ron. Matt LaFleur's old buddy in Arthur Smith too potentially. 

Hell if the price is a 2nd round pick, Pittsburgh should toss 32 in the ring and go for a ring next year while Pickett gets to learn behind Rodgers.

I guarantee more teams would toss their hat in the ring.

• Like 2

Does anyone even know what the hell value the Packers are expecting at this point or what value the Jets have pegged this as? The leaks seem to think the conversation started at 2 1sts for the Packers and I don't even know what the Jets thought.... Seems like there has just been a whole lot of conjecture here with very little actual knowledge on the situation. I've seen some Jets say they wouldn't pay more than a mid round pick and some Packers say nothing other than a couple 1st round picks/1st round pick and a good player would do. 

Personally my initial estimate was a 1st round pick (#13) with an incentive laden 2nd pick of either a 1-3rd. TBH I think 2 seconds with a chance of a 1st with a superbowl berth by the Jets would be more than enough at this point. Anything less than a 2nd though i'm petty enough to spite the Jets and let them roll with Wilson while swallowing the cap space even though I know thats not a realistic option. 

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, it's a buyer's monopoly because the asset you're trying to get rid of won't play ball unless he goes to one specific buyer.

If the house said it would set itself on fire unless it was sold for $400k, you're selling it for $400k.

Aaron would go anywhere that makes him feel like the most important person in the room.

• Like 3