What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

Packers lose cap space trading Rodgers. Spend some time in free agency and they can figure out what contracts they need to restructure. Maybe they’ll make it a June 1st trade and split the difference. No rush on GB’s side, Rodgers is a sunk cost no matter what.

• Like 2

Just now, umphrey said:

The packers have plenty of leverage. They can say no for as long as they feel like it and yes it hurts them a little bit in cap and compensation but that's nothing compared to Rodgers (forced early retirement) and the Jets (tanks their season completely).

The Packers actually lose an additional $9M in cap space by trading him. Not just because of Rodgers value as a back to back MVP but the Packers definitely want and should be compensated for eating 40M in dead cap in a trade.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think Rodgers is a little better than Wentz, Darnold, or Rosen.

I think there are examples for and against high compensation. Deshaun and Russell don't look like they worked out. Stafford did work out. The truth and compensation are probably somewhere in the middle.

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But only one of your receivers know the hand signals.....

True. Good times. Back to BAU for me. This trade isn't going down any time soon. So no need to follow it daily. It’ll eventually happen. Even if that’s in April or July or August.

Edited by SDotNova

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Because FOs are responsible for roster movement, not players. Rodgers signed a contract.

Who offered him the huge contract? Oh yea... I've been led to believe by certain people on this forum and in the media Rodgers indecision was the only thing holding the deal up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

That will never happen, we'll play poker until TC if we have to, and if the Jets are willing to wait that long, we'll tip our cap to them and agree to the deal.

Hence my point. It goes both ways and both teams understand that. So it comes down to two things: they come to a mutual agreement on a fair compensation or the team that has the bigger stones gets a better deal. The overwhelmingly likely outcome is they meet in the middle which is likely around second round draft pick with the Jets picking up some money(not sure how the contract works exactly this could be impossible).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

True. Good times. Back to BAU for me. This trade isn't going down any time soon. So no need to follow it daily. It’ll eventually happen. Even if that’s in April or July or August.

A live look at GB's front office trying to get this done.

Or, New York's front office trying to get this done.

Dog On Diarrhea GIF - Poop Diarrhea Dog - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I think there are examples for and against high compensation. Deshaun and Russell don't look like they worked out. Stafford did work out. The truth and compensation are probably somewhere in the middle.

I think Rodgers is clearly head and shoulders better than all of those guys though.

Just now, StatKing said:

Who offered him the huge contract? Oh yea... I've been led to believe by certain people on this forum and in the media Rodgers indecision was the only thing holding the deal up.

The Packers did? I don’t get the facetiousness. 

You asked why people don’t hold teams to the same standard when it comes to holding up trades. It’s because that’s their job. They have a guy under contract, they’re under no obligation to send him wherever he wants, whenever he wants. They’re the FO. Players dictate where they want to go when they’re free agents. We see nowadays players try to dictate that when they’re under contract, which is fine, it’s just not their usual function. 

I don’t get why that’s either confusing or backwards to you.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think Rodgers is clearly head and shoulders better than all of those guys though.

Yes, but you have to factor in how long he'll play for and his age. Attaching a conditional pick along with a base pick makes sense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That will never happen, we'll play poker until TC if we have to, and if the Jets are willing to wait that long, we'll tip our cap to them and agree to the deal.

GB waiting until into August to agree to trade Rodgers would likely make the 2024 picks that much better as Rodgers would miss all off season, and most of training camp in developing chemistry with the NYJ.  as long a a trade happens before week 1 of the 2023 regular season, NYJ have more to lose vs GB.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB waiting until into August to agree to trade Rodgers would likely make the 2024 picks that much better as Rodgers would miss all off season, and most of training camp in developing chemistry with the NYJ.  as long a a trade happens before week 1 of the 2023 regular season, NYJ have more to lose vs GB.

I seriously doubt the Packers wants Rodgers on the roster as TC opens, but up until then they are probably good with waiting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I seriously doubt the Packers wants Rodgers on the roster as TC opens, but up until then they are probably good with waiting.

if it goes past the NFL draft, GB is better off waiting until after June 1st to spread the cap hit over 2 years + limiting Rodgers ability to participate in OTA and off season stuff with NYJ.