Will Anderson vs Jalen Carter - Who would you take first?

brownie man

Will Anderson vs Jalen Carter   

25 members have voted

1. 1. If you had your pick who would you take?

Will Anderson

Jalen Carter 

Lets say that you can pick the defense that you run. Which one would you draft? 

I'm picking Will Anderson and I'm playing him like Von Miller. Mix of 34 and 43 elements to get him on the best matchup. 

Carter is an amazing prospect, but for me, for the most part I'm always going to lean sacks first. I think Will Anderson can be a 12-14 sacks a year guy any year hes healthy. 

To me its similar to Von vs Daerus back then. I just think Anderson is more versatile. He's so explosive and make all type of plays. More dynamic plays. He might get a sack, INT, TFL, FF, FR, and more likley to take something to the house. 

You can't go wrong with either, but I'd love to see some other takes about the two best defenders in the draft. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 1

Are you a 3-4 type team?  Will Anderson.  

Are you in need of a 3 tech for a 4-3. Jalen Carter.

I just do not see Anderson lining up in anything other than standup OLB role.  Carter could play DT in a 3-4 hybrid but I think it would be a waste of his talent.

• Like 1

That's tough. I know we're saying you are starting from scratch, but it really does depend on what else you have on the roster. If you don't have a serviceable pass rusher on the edge, Will Anderson has to be the pick. If you have a bunch of C+ players all over, you might want to lean Jalen Carter.

I don't agree with people that think Anderson can't play with his hand in the dirt. He's definitely on the small side, but the dude wins with power more than he wins with speed. His best move is speed to power bull rushes. He's also a menace in the run game and uses his leverage very well. Both he and Nolan Smith are two smaller EDGE prospects that are somehow elite in the run game. Both just understand their gaps and leverage so well that they're able to make both splash plays (sacks, TFL's) and "safe" plays (control gap, force the ball back inside, don't lose leverage on the ball by flying up field). That's a rare trait for edge rushers to have...especially the dudes that get typecast as "light in the pants speed rushers."

Gimme Anderson, but it's super close.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Carter is an amazing prospect, but for me, for the most part I'm always going to lean sacks first. I think Will Anderson can be a 12-14 sacks a year guy any year hes healthy. 

In all fairness, Carter could be a 12-14+ sack guy too. He's definitely twitched up for an interior DT...enough so to be the rare one that can get to the QB at-will.

I think the league is in the beginning stages of making a shift towards dominant, both in the run and pass game, interior guys being more important than edge rushers. It's a bit of an anecdotal take without very much to back it up right now, but I think you'll see that really come to fruition in the coming years. Give me Carter.

Will Anderson and it's not close. Positional Value and production aside, Carter was essentially embarrassed by OSU. He couldn't get in a stance, he looked out of shape, he looked disinterested, and he had major out of shape and/or motor issues for me.

I'm not saying Carter will be that guy or will be bad, because I'm very high on him overall, but I think it's fair to question his lack of production against an upper tier OT that he faced in that game.

It's an outlier, but it's a bit of a problematic one for me, and I like Carter overall as a prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Pass rushers are inherently more valuable. 

Yeah and Anderson is a more refined pass rusher...but Carter is a fantastic pass rusher for an interior DL. I think if you compare the two side-by-side, Anderson is the better pass rusher. But if you compare a typical DE pass rusher to Anderson and a typical DT pass rusher to Carter, CARTER probably has an edge. He's a better pass rusher for a DT than Anderson is for a DE, if that makes sense.

That said, Anderson is so good against the run too. Neither are bad picks. Anderson makes more "wow" plays and simply plays the game harder than Carter on a snap-by-snap basis. Neither is going to be bad...but Anderson is the safer bet. He's excellent in every single area and has zero red flags.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah and Anderson is a more refined pass rusher...but Carter is a fantastic pass rusher for an interior DL. I think if you compare the two side-by-side, Anderson is the better pass rusher. But if you compare a typical DE pass rusher to Anderson and a typical DT pass rusher to Carter, CARTER probably has an edge. He's a better pass rusher for a DT than Anderson is for a DE, if that makes sense.

I won't say that I've seen Carter play much but... numbers really don't suggest that to be the case.

23 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

That said, Anderson is so good against the run too. Neither are bad picks. Anderson makes more "wow" plays and simply plays the game harder than Carter on a snap-by-snap basis. Neither is going to be bad...but Anderson is the safer bet. He's excellent in every single area and has zero red flags.

This all day.

Will Anderson Jr had the expectations of what 20+ sacks this year if not more.  He disappointed in that regard and did not perform great against their top competition but was also schemed out of the play more often than not with a lot of quick passing, up tempo and moving the pocket.  His character and leadership is so high though, gives his all and he can still get better.  Give me Will over Carter, if Will can learn to use his hands more and get off blocks a bit better he could be amazing.  Will be very interesting how he does at the combine athletically, I do wish he was a little thicker but he might lose some of that speed.