QB Kyler Murray could miss all of 2023 season

.Buzz

10 hours ago, pf9 said:

Jimmy G could also prove an effective replacement since the 49ers are preparing to part ways with him (which I hope becomes a colossal mistake as I hope Purdy is a one-season wonder like Tebow).

Tebow was a gimmick player though. Purdy is playing QB legitimately. I don’t think Purdy will ever be amazing, but he can manage that offense just fine. Tebow wasn’t even ever as good as Purdy was at his worst.

10 hours ago, Superduperman said:

The whole "i could call plays myself" deal really soured me on Kyler. I haven't watched his play closely enough to know whether he's really that good as a QB

He needs to operate in a true wide-open spread offense with an abundance of weapons vs. teams that are too terrified to play man-man. If you man up his receivers and eliminate the space games that spread teams thrive on, he’s pretty panicky and makes some big negative plays with low percentage throws or taking awful sacks.

Teams shy away from man because he’s a dual threat. IMO, they shouldn’t. Same thing with Lamar. A huge portion of Lamar’s success is that people think he can’t throw to wide open guys. Of course he can. He can’t consistently make tight window throws. What teams had done for far too long is play vanilla zones, muddle their rush, and let Lamar peck away at them with Andrews sitting in the zone pockets.

Teams need to heat these QBs up far more than they have been IMO. It’s risky and you may give up a big run or a shot play TD now and again, but vanilla zones are the reason these kinds of QBs are having success throwing the football. Make them thread needles. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Arizona did this to themselves.  Never should've gave him a 2nd contract.  It's been clear early (even from an outsider like me), that he's extremely immature and entitled.  He's "Team Me" all the way. 

I agree. 

But from his perspective if he hadn't insisted on being paid early they are very likely moving on from him right now and he is highly unlikely to get that from someone else if they did.

That turned out a good move by him.   

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 3:15 AM, NYRaider said:

Kyler looked like a potential MVP candidate and Kliff looked like a genius, it's crazy how quickly things can change. 

I'd argue that if anything, Keim was the one who looked impressive in 21 while Kliff was looking lost.

Their offense didn't change and wasn't innovative - novel, maybe, because other teams don't see that stuff on a weekly basis, but not innovative. Kliff's O was the same set of plays in 2022 that it was in 2019 and 2020 (and '23). And once teams caught on, it was over for the Cardinals offensively. 

However, Keim went out that off-season and either signed or traded for 6 Pro Bowlers - AFTER he had acquired DeAndre Hopkins, Markus Golden, and Kelvin Beachum the previous season. The only acquisition that was a bust at the time was Malcolm Butler, who retired before playing a snap. The issue, however, was that the Cardinals had one of the oldest rosters in the NFL.

Guys got hurt. Veterans moved on. Others lost a step. Keim's single season of a mostly good roster (which still had major holes at CB and IDL) ended.

But yeah, Kyler is ridiculously talented physically and as a passer, but his frame does occasionally cause issues and he's gotten hurt a lot. Pair that with a polarized public perception and you have a real conundrum.