Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

Is it me or does his right hand look very swollen? Probably not out of the ordinary, but still, the surgery was a few weeks ago. 

Yeah it does to me too. I think it’s probably normal though.

8 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

With every passing week, I'm less confident that Trey Lance will be a 49er come September.

The only way that happens is if Purdy is 100% healthy and looking great in training camp. Even then, I still wouldn't trade him. Next offseason sounds like the time to do it, assuming Purdy is healthy all year and plays well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

The only way that happens is if Purdy is 100% healthy and looking great in training camp. Even then, I still wouldn't trade him. Next offseason sounds like the time to do it, assuming Purdy is healthy all year and plays well. 

Yeah next years September might be more accurate. It also doesn't make much sense to trade him this year money-wise I think. Still, it's hard for me to see a way back for him. Which is weird, considering they were comitted to him at the start of last season.

This is a good sign. 

I know this injury better from a baseball perspective. With a UCL tear that requires Tommy John, Pitchers generally need a full year off to make a full recovery, which almost all of them do. But when they first get back into action, their velocity is generally down and it takes most of that year to build the arm strength back up. By the following season, they're back to normal and in some cases, they end up getting more velocity out of it because the surgery may clean up some hidden stuff and the specific rehabbing exercises on the elbow, forearm, and shoulder build strength that otherwise might not have been there before. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Purdy's arm become a little stronger after this. It certainly won't make it weaker. There's nothing to suggest that from the countless MLB pitchers hitting triple digits after getting Tommy John. Not saying that Purdy will have Mahomes' arm, but it's possible that he could see a few MPH added eventually.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is a good sign. 

I know this injury better from a baseball perspective. With a UCL tear that requires Tommy John, Pitchers generally need a full year off to make a full recovery, which almost all of them do. But when they first get back into action, their velocity is generally down and it takes most of that year to build the arm strength back up. By the following season, they're back to normal and in some cases, they end up getting more velocity out of it because the surgery may clean up some hidden stuff and the specific rehabbing exercises on the elbow, forearm, and shoulder build strength that otherwise might not have been there before. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Purdy's arm become a little stronger after this. It certainly won't make it weaker. There's nothing to suggest that from the countless MLB pitchers hitting triple digits after getting Tommy John. Not saying that Purdy will have Mahomes' arm, but it's possible that he could see a few MPH added eventually.

Rookie of the year surgery confirmed. 

• Like 4

On 3/27/2023 at 5:46 AM, NinerNation21 said:

This is a good sign. 

The stint he had put in is a relatively new procedure.  

I found this article, but I don't have time to read it all.  

WARNING!! Graphic surgery photos!

https://ijspt.scholasticahq.com/article/39614-the-use-of-the-internal-brace-to-repair-the-ucl-injury-of-the-elbow-in-athletes

• Like 1