Brock Purdy has torn UCL

Forge

4 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

So Brady is retiring, Purdy might miss 2023 season and Shanahan said that he doesn't see Jimmy returning to Niners. Considering Niners are in a win-now mode and with the constant QB injuries they have experienced in recent years, any chance they might explore possibility of trading for someone like Cousins who is probably the most durable QBs in league and can give you above average level of QB play ? 

I'm not going to rule it out at this point. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, SotanKing said:

So Brady is retiring, Purdy might miss 2023 season and Shanahan said that he doesn't see Jimmy returning to Niners. Considering Niners are in a win-now mode and with the constant QB injuries they have experienced in recent years, any chance they might explore possibility of trading for someone like Cousins who is probably the most durable QBs in league and can give you above average level of QB play ? 

Carr could make sense for them and it looks like he's headed to free agency. Just not sure they'd be able to pay him enough. Someone like Baker Mayfield as Lance's backup would make sense.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If I’m SF, I’m legitimately inquiring about Aaron Rodgers. They have everything else in place. Just go full Rams at this point with picks and make your run.

They basically have a clean slate with their draft capital after this year so it could make sense, IIRC Rodgers would only have a $15M cap hit too.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They basically have a clean slate with their draft capital after this year so it could make sense, IIRC Rodgers would only have a $15M cap hit too.

Green Bay for their cap reasons would need to restructure and Rodgers would have to sign off on San Francisco.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Green Bay for their cap reasons would need to restructure and Rodgers would have to sign off on San Francisco.

I thought that there was a way his cap hit could be reduced to $15M if he's traded with the way his deal is currently structured. I can't imagine he'd have any issues with playing for the 49ers.

It has been reported GB will only trade Rodgers to an AFC team (makes sense). Even if they were to trade him to an NFC team, it's highly unlikely it'd be to the team that has haunted them in the playoffs.

The only thing SF can really do is bring Mullens back or sign someone else as the third stringer and just roll with Lance as the starter on a short leash. If he's not getting things done by the bye week, bench him for Purdy.

Edited by biggie.

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

It has been reported GB will only trade Rodgers to an AFC team (makes sense). Even if they were to trade him to an NFC team, it's highly unlikely it'd be to the team that has haunted them in the playoffs.

The only thing SF can really do is bring Mullens back or sign someone else as the third stringer and just roll with Lance as the starter on a short leash.

That's what they've said but I doubt they'd tell SF no if they came with a godfather offer. Baker, Bridgewater, and Dalton would all make sense as veteran Backups though.

If purdy gets the repair done, he'll be ready to go by the start of the season, I think. If he gets the reconstruction, he'll be ready at some point during the season most likely, but I wouldn't want to push that recovery, so I'd just bring him back at some point during the year. The starting gig is his right now, so if he gets the repair and is back by camp, he'll be the starter + Lance as the backup + a vet as a third back up (Mason Rudolph type). I would also expect the niners to draft a QB or bring in a UDFA that ends up on the practice squad. 

If Purdy gets the reconstruction done and he's out for a little longer...maybe coming back at some point in the regular season, I think the team will open with Lance as the starter, maybe a slightly higher level QB back up (Case Keenum type) and a rookie. It is possible that Wally Pip could get Wally Pipped in this scenario though - if lance starts the season and plays really well and Purdy takes time during the regular season to recover, Lance could take the starting gig back. So I have to wonder if that is weighing on Purdy's decision making at all. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If purdy gets the repair done, he'll be ready to go by the start of the season, I think. If he gets the reconstruction, he'll be ready at some point during the season most likely, but I wouldn't want to push that recovery, so I'd just bring him back at some point during the year. The starting gig is his right now, so if he gets the repair and is back by camp, he'll be the starter + Lance as the backup + a vet as a third back up (Mason Rudolph type). I would also expect the niners to draft a QB or bring in a UDFA that ends up on the practice squad. 

If Purdy gets the reconstruction done and he's out for a little longer...maybe coming back at some point in the regular season, I think the team will open with Lance as the starter, maybe a slightly higher level QB back up (Case Keenum type) and a rookie. It is possible that Wally Pip could get Wally Pipped in this scenario though - if lance starts the season and plays really well and Purdy takes time during the regular season to recover, Lance could take the starting gig back. So I have to wonder if that is weighing on Purdy's decision making at all. 

Dont pitchers miss entire calendar years plus on tommy john surgeries? If he gets that he probably doesnt play at all next year I imagine.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Dont pitchers miss entire calendar years plus on tommy john surgeries? If he gets that he probably doesnt play at all next year I imagine.

It's not the same recovery timeline for quarterbacks. Jake Delhomme injured his in week 3/4 and was back for preseason the following year. He was cleared after 7 months. 

If Purdy gets the reconstruction, I probably wouldn't bring him back right away - I'd probably give him a couple more months...but he shouldn't miss the entire season, I think. 

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

SF should trade for Cousins. 

They shouldn't, Purdy will be back for next year and they can sign an Andy Dalton type for nothing.

Also never going to happen because of cap implications + it would take too much compensation (unless Minnesota wants Lance)

If Kyle were to bring in a veteran, Rodgers or Carr would make much more sense. Essentially the same cap hit for Rodgers and not much more in trade comp, Carr would also be about the same price while coming in FA

Edited by adamq

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

SF should sign Minshew

They will sign someone if Purdy can't go. If he's back for the start of the year, I think they will add someone, but it'll be a third QB type like mason Rudolph, or they'll draft a guy in the third or fifth round