Brock Purdy has torn UCL

Forge

18 hours ago, Refugee said:

Just a crazy string of bad luck. Not to mention Jimmy G got launched into the spotlight filling in for an injured Brady who filled in for an injured Bledsoe. As a Packer fan, I absolutely hate the 9ers but really hope you guys get a break with health. It’s not good for the game to see some of the best teams handicapped. Injuries are part of the game but once you get to QB5  it is getting beyond ridiculous. 

Some day, someone is going to trace the Brady QB lineage and find that it's riddled with poor play and/or injuries. 

It's Brady's own curse on the league. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Some day, someone is going to trace the Brady QB lineage and find that it's riddled with poor play and/or injuries. 

It's Brady's own curse on the league. 

I think the agreement he made with the demons was that he devours the energy and aura of all those who share a QB room with him to prolong his career while they fall apart 

• Like 4

Just now, Forge said:

I think the agreement he made with the demons was that he devours the energy and aura of all those who share a QB room with him to prolong his career while they fall apart 

If that nosferatu becomes the 9ers QB next year there will be some real Antichrist prophecy vibes for me. I’m not saying it would be a sign of the Last Days, just that it is good to be prepared. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

One of my coworkers pitched an idea that I love:

Expand the active gameday roster by 1 player but make it be an "emergency quarterback"...very similar to the "emergency goalie" protocol in the NHL. My dude @Forge knows what I'm talking about here.

That just inflicts one more injured QB on the Niners training staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Expand the active gameday roster by 1 player but make it be an "emergency quarterback"...very similar to the "emergency goalie" protocol in the NHL. My dude @Forge knows what I'm talking about here.

Mike McCarthy when he was coaching in GB had a similar proposal. One, he was lamenting the off season rule changes on practice time and wanted QBs to have the continued “QB school” to get their fundamentals down. He also wanted a protected spot on the PS for a QB. Since the Covid year, there is a bit more flexibility and protection with the PS but it’s still not a season long protected position.  It definitely waters down the product if we are watching 3rd and 4th string QBs who haven’t been in the system. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

something like this, just have 3 QB's active and ready to play.  I never understood a complete roster+ practice squad, but only 2 QB's when the game is actually played considering the injury potential effect.

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That just inflicts one more injured QB on the Niners training staff.

ok, so is there a special QB rule for the Niners, they  can have 4 QB's active on game day, with QB4 not counting against the cap?  

3 should be good though, if a team loses 3 in one game then just forfeit the game . 

2 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I only see one report (by Dov Kleiman) that it is an actual Tommy John injury and would knock him out all of next year. It’s mostly a baseball injury, what are the implications of it long term for an nfl qb? 

There are no recent comparables, to be honest. It ended careers way back in the day, but Delhomme needed it in 07, was back to start 08...his career dropped off a cliff in 09. But he was also 34 years old, so it could have just been his time. 

Quarterbacks tend to get strains and minor tears that can be repaired with rest (Josh Allen, Carson Palmer).  Nick Mullens had a tear significant enough for  repair surgery and was back by the start of the next year, I believe. Though he was awful in the training camp and preseason (couldn't latch on as a #3 for Philly). He eventually bounced back with Cleveland / Raiders / Vikings as a backup though. 

So Brady is retiring, Purdy might miss 2023 season and Shanahan said that he doesn't see Jimmy returning to Niners. Considering Niners are in a win-now mode and with the constant QB injuries they have experienced in recent years, any chance they might explore possibility of trading for someone like Cousins who is probably the most durable QBs in league and can give you above average level of QB play ? 

• Like 1