Demeco Ryans to Texans (6 years)

Manny/Patrick

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I gotta see how the coordinators shake out - bringing in CJ Stroud would double up on this excitement, but the pragmatic side would say the Texans need a Nick Bosa, and Will Anderson can absolutely be that bendy edge the team can build around. 

Jimmy Garoppolo as a placeholder with Anthony Richardson at 12 could bring in the best of the both worlds.

I think Richardson is gone to the Raiders before 12 at 7. I think Jimmy G with Davis Mills is a fine plan. Davis Mills isn't excellent, but he gets a new scheme to learn and is a clear back up. I am sure Jimmy would appreciate not having a 1st round pick breathing down his neck and being in a room where his GM was part of drafting him. 

Get Will Anderson+ Tuli  + CB in the first 33 picks of the draft. That's 5 of Demeco's 6 years having high end edges. Anderson to play the wide 9, and Tuli to be a Armstead/Buckner/Omenihu type role. Pair the strength of the draft class with Stingley and ride. If the wheels fall off with injuries or whatever you might get Caleb Williams next year and exciting QB + established D is exciting.

45 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

how much of the 49ers success defensively have come from pouring resources into that unit versus Demeco's scheme and play calling?

He was phenomenal and deserves a ton of credit. Mixed coverages very well. Knew when to pressure and when to drop back. He was a great game planner and is great at making in game adjustments. Niners shut out 5 opponents in the second half this year. In 8 other games the defense gave up 7 points or less. He was a BIG reason why. Also, everyone in the building loves him. 

This is a home run hire for them. 

I'd bet the Texans sign a few of our defensive FAs this year. Jimmie Ward is one of the best secondary pieces in the NFL and Aziz Al-Shair is a pretty solid player. Perhaps Samsum Ekubam as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I wouldnt be mad if the pick is Stroud at 2 in part because I never want to see Davis Mills under center again, but Anderson will definitely be in serious consideration now that Ryan's is HC.

Good point. 2024 is also a much better year for HCs. 

He could go the Kyle Shanahan route and decide to build the DL first, then get a QB on a rookie deal a little bit later. 

I hate this as a Titans fan. You never truly know how good a head coach a guy will be, but being a good X and O’s guy plus a great leader is a nice starting point.

If done right the Texans could be better sooner than expected. Get the OC hire right, draft the right QB, have a season where you show progression but still have a bad record, draft Marvin Harrison Jr. next year and boom, you’re on the path to being Bengals like.

I hate this.