What does Sean do now?

AKRNA

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Not a surprise imo.  Unclear where the soft tissue injury blame lies but don’t think he did enough to be a no brainer retain. 

Good. Landow should never have been hired. He can work all he wants with the kids from Valor and Creek and Regis and Mullen where ever else all the Denver glitterati send their kids but that doesn’t make him a NFL caliber S&C coach. I said it midseason after all the injures started hitting that if I was George, I’d have fired the head trainer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Good. Landow should never have been hired. He can work all he wants with the kids from Valor and Creek and Regis and Mullen where ever else all the Denver glitterati send their kids but that doesn’t make him a NFL caliber S&C coach. I said it midseason after all the injures started hitting that if I was George, I’d have fired the head trainer. 

A lot of NFL players trained with Landow before he took the job in Denver. He’ll be back to training a lot more of them now (including many current Broncos) without NFL-imposed restrictions. 

Feels like he’s more of a scapegoat for the team not letting him run his program the way he wanted. They’re going to overhaul the entire athletic program, from strength and conditioning to nutrition. No more intern-led treatment and five minute stretching periods. 

On 2/2/2023 at 6:56 AM, champ11 said:

It seems petty to be talking about "all-in" when Russell Wilson is kind of a sunk cost? We saw that he was about a bottom 5 QB last season lol. Just seems like kind of a crazy line of thinking to me. 

If Payton can turn Russ into a solid QB ... that's a win. I feel like wanting the Broncos to win the division title is a bit unrealistic. The Broncos made a terrible trade and extension for Russell Wilson, a terrible coaching hire, and then had to spend compensation on making a good coaching hire. I don't know if it's wise to adjust expectations on sunk cost moves. 

IDK. This team stunk last year. They used a first round pick and pick swap to get the best coach on the board - a type of hire that they have needed. I guess I'm not that worked up about "win now" and mostly happy the Broncos have a legit head coach for the first time in 7 years.  

You can't "fix" Russ, he's just not a good pocket passer and never will be. The last two games we went to a more traditional WCO. lots more movement, highlighted running game, etc. Russ can play in that.

What nobodies mentioning, which should be the 800 lb gorilla in the room, is that Sean is an Air Coryell disciple, not a WCO guy. Nothing the matter with that except you need a very accurate pocket QB, think Dan Fouts, Drew Brees, and a great pass blocking OL. Trying to pound Russ and our OL, round pegs into those square hole will be a disaster. My hope for a bit of stability and a marriage of the WCO with a "Fangio" defense are trashed already.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:42 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

I would personally be *shocked* if Payton took this job solely on the belief that he can fix Russ. It’s much more likely that he’s realistic about Russ’s current abilities and is willing to groom a young QB if Russ continues his descent towards the unemployment line. 

He's a smart guy and already knows Russ is a terrible fit for his O.

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here’s the bane with hiring the “celebrity” coach, the good members of the staff all depart, leaving us with yes-men and sychophants. Payton better hire someone good. And I don’t want a Patriot Way malcontent like Flores or an incompetent like Desai here. Ugh.

You are assuming that Payton wanted him out, which may be true, however, it could have also been the other way around.

In German we have a saying: Reisende sollte man nicht aufhalten.

Loosely translated: Travelers should not be stopped (on their journey).

Evero might have first emotionally moved on in the moment Hackett got fired, see his refusal to become interim HC, and at the very latest when he did not get selected to become the new HC.

He was by far everyone's preferred option as DC yet this now might be an inevitable fresh start for everyone.

Edited by BroncoinGermany
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Maybe too early to think about him and likely our DC comes externally, but thoughts on Christian Parker our current/previous DB coach jumping up to DC? Hasn't coached too long but has now coached under Mike Pettine, Fangio and Evero. 

I think if we retain him as DB coach he’ll be a hot DC candidate next year.  Much like Desai this year for SEA.   Good call.   

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Maybe too early to think about him and likely our DC comes externally, but thoughts on Christian Parker our current/previous DB coach jumping up to DC? Hasn't coached too long but has now coached under Mike Pettine, Fangio and Evero. 

If they do decide to retain the same defense we've still got a great asset in Capers. He and Vic learned the D from Steve Sidwell in the 80/90/'s

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroncoinGermany said:

You are assuming that Payton wanted him out, which may be true, however, it could have also been the other way around.

In German we have a saying: Reisende sollte man nicht aufhalten.

Loosely translated: Travelers should not be stopped (on their journey).

Evero might have first emotionally moved on in the moment Hackett got fired, see his refusal to become interim HC, and at the very latest when he did not get selected to become the new HC.

He was by far everyone's preferred option as DC yet this now might be an inevitable fresh start for everyone.

Wir würden ihn sehr gerne bei den Wikingern sehen. Danke schön.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Wir würden ihn sehr gerne bei den Wikingern sehen. Danke schön.

Egal wie es endete, er war ein fantastischer Trainer. Er ist eine großartige Ergänzung, wenn Sie ihn bekommen können

(iPhone Translate is my friend here) 

Edited by Broncofan