Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That seems like an awful contract to me at least for the rest of bus playing career but I’m sure he’ll make more than that in endorsement’s both in the US & Japan

Currently making $50 million at least in endorsements. 

He makes interest on the deferred payments, and when they pay him, Ohtani has to pay taxes on where he is living.  Currently, he would pay taxes where he plays, which is over 50% of his games in California.  So he’s paying taxes on $2 million versus $70, and can get himself a nice place in a state that doesn’t have state income tax after he retires.

This is actually a pretty damn smart move for the Dodgers too.  The CBT amount is $46 million, much better than $70.  There is also the possibility that they could eliminate some of that money entirely and give him partial ownership of the team.  

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, e16bball said:

Well-timed, as we’re watching Soto and maybe Ohtani and Yamamoto make their way into the division. 

You just can’t be crying poor and expect to compete in the ALE. Tampa is every bit as smart as we are, and the other 3 will intermittently employ brute financial force to bludgeon their way into the mix. Even if it’s just the ability to keep the homegrown stars around, it’s a game-changer.

There is definitely something to it, even though they immediately went into damage control.  The fact that there isn’t a lease signed, they want the development land that doesn’t look possible, more money likely coming out of MASN dispute…..I think they just want to get out.  

I do think it probably starts as a minority ownership with the option to eventually buy.  Not sure if Rubenstein is the guy who will take that offer though. 

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

@Thaiphoon any updates on the performance Monday? I been so busy I forgot to ask. Hope it all went well.

Thanks for asking! She was with mom that day (since mom has the experience with vocal auditions) and they told me that she listened to the song in her earbuds (didn't let anyone distract her even though she was 20th on the list and it took about a little over an hour to get to her) and then went in and did the first minute of the song. Then she performed a prepared monologue for them. When she got out she said to my wife "that was actually fun!" and said something to the effect of the director saying (of her audition) "that was very pretty". 

So we're hoping she gets a call back. Auditions run after school through tomorrow evening and then on Friday, the call backs are listed on the website. If she gets called back, she has to go on Monday and Tuesday after school next week and perform the entire song in front of the others who are up for the part. From there they whittle it down.

There are two casts (they perform on separate weekends in late April) so I said "you don't have to be the best, you just need to be in the top two" (I was trying to ease her anxiety with the joke). The big thing I worry about is she's a 6th grader (so just got to middle school) and what if an 8th grader was kinda similar to her. Would the director pick them because this was "their last year"...Or give my daughter a chance? Dunno. Just on pins and needles until Friday evening.

But I'll let you know if she gets a call back. Extremely nervous for her but so proud of her that she put herself out there and is going for it.

Thanks again for asking about it!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Thanks for asking! She was with mom that day (since mom has the experience with vocal auditions) and they told me that she listened to the song in her earbuds (didn't let anyone distract her even though she was 20th on the list and it took about a little over an hour to get to her) and then went in and did the first minute of the song. Then she performed a prepared monologue for them. When she got out she said to my wife "that was actually fun!" and said something to the effect of the director saying (of her audition) "that was very pretty". 

So we're hoping she gets a call back. Auditions run after school through tomorrow evening and then on Friday, the call backs are listed on the website. If she gets called back, she has to go on Monday and Tuesday after school next week and perform the entire song in front of the others who are up for the part. From there they whittle it down.

There are two casts (they perform on separate weekends in late April) so I said "you don't have to be the best, you just need to be in the top two" (I was trying to ease her anxiety with the joke). The big thing I worry about is she's a 6th grader (so just got to middle school) and what if an 8th grader was kinda similar to her. Would the director pick them because this was "their last year"...Or give my daughter a chance? Dunno. Just on pins and needles until Friday evening.

But I'll let you know if she gets a call back. Extremely nervous for her but so proud of her that she put herself out there and is going for it.

Thanks again for asking about it!!

This is awesome man! Hope she gets a call back and super awesome that she was stoked for herself and enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:20 PM, Slappy Mc said:

This is awesome man! Hope she gets a call back and super awesome that she was stoked for herself and enjoyed it. 

Got the email late last night. She got called back! Now she has to freshen up on the rest of the song and get prepared for Monday. There are around 9 characters and they called back 40 people. So doing the math, she is most likely competing against 3 other girls for one of the 2 spots for the part.

Biggest worry now is the 3 day layoff (we didn't want to encourage her to continue practicing it if she wasn't getting called back) and trying to keep her from getting sick until AFTER the callback.

• Like 3