2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting OLBs

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting OLBs?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting OLBs?

• Retain Hunter and Smith as starters
    • Release Smith and sign an external free agent to start with Hunter
    • Trade Hunter and sign an external free agent to start with Smith
    • Release Smith and draft a player to start with Hunter
    • Trade Hunter and draft a player to start with Smith
    • Release Smith and promote Wonnum/Jones to start with Hunter
    • Trade Hunter and promote Wonnum/Jones to start with Smith
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

26 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'd like to see what Flores could scheme up with Hunter and Smith as starters with Wonnum and Jones as the rotational backups. That would not prevent me from adding an EDGE in the draft in one was too good to pass up. 

Smith's production was well worth his contract. Hopefully he can have another healthy season and those hurries/pressures he put up will lead to more sacks.

He hasn't had a healthy season in three years, has he? That's the issue for me.

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I was thinking this was coming. Just on the fact that flores’ scheme manufactures pressure way more than Donatell tried to do last year, so you don’t need to pay two premium edge rushers when you are getting 1v1 matchups across the board.  They might be thinking the savings from z could be better spent on getting some cover 0 corners. 

Edited by battle2heaven

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I was thinking this was coming. Just on the fact that flores’ scheme manufactures pressure way more than Donatell tried to do last year, so you don’t need to pay two premium edge rushers when you are getting 1v1 matchups across the board.  They might be thinking the savings from z could be better spent on getting some cover 0 corners. 

Him selling his house doesn't necessarily mean he's gone, but I still think it's more likely than not.  We'll have to see what happens.  Here's Ben making that same clarification.

I want to keep Smith and Hunter if can fit logically under the cap. For the poll I put Release Smith and draft a player to start with Hunter. Hunter is younger and finally played the whole season. DJ is not a starter in my eyes currently and more of a high end backup. I do want to see what Jones can do but need some insurance. Flores style is confusing offensives with pressure looks so a top tier DE is not as big as ED defense. However, do need to prepare for life after both Smith and Hunter in the close future.  

Edited by dc_vikingfan

I would not be totally against maybe trading Z.Smith but either way OLB is the strongest position on the defense no question with actual depth that is pretty solid.

Hunter / P. Jones / Vilain

Z. Smith / Wonnum / Weaver

That is pretty damn solid, especially with how well Patrick Jones played and Weaver has potential as well.  And if they still like Kenny Willekes he could maybe be a decent OLB as well but will see after he comes back from injury.

Sadly Z. Smith outplayed Hunter no question about it and Hunter was not as impactful I thought as a 3/4 OLB.  Maybe Flores will be more aggressive in blitzing and help in that regard.  I would be ok to gain some money letting Z. Smith go but would be fine keeping him and rather letting one of the ILBs go.

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Im not so sure about that. But to each their own. 

Maybe in the first half of the season. Then injuries seemed to limit Smith’s effectiveness even though it didn’t keep him out of games. But maybe that’s the problem, maybe he should have sat to be more effective for a post season run. Just seemed by the end of the year, he was nonexistent whereas Hunter started to get going. 

Again… Zadarius smith was 3rd in the entire NFL in pressures from week 9 on. The DBs we’re playing so far off and the LBs we’re lost so the sacks didn’t translate like they were in the first half, but even injured, Smith was a top performer at his position.

Hunter was also a top performer at his position in his first year as a 3-4 end. Donatell played him in coverage far too often. Too many people looking at bulk stats/splash plays and not watching games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Im not so sure about that. But to each their own. 

He got a way better push and was more versatile considering he rushed from inside more than once on a four DL pass rushing situations.  He was just harder to handle no doubt about it.

39 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Again… Zadarius smith was 3rd in the entire NFL in pressures from week 9 on. The DBs we’re playing so far off and the LBs we’re lost so the sacks didn’t translate like they were in the first half, but even injured, Smith was a top performer at his position.

Hunter was also a top performer at his position in his first year as a 3-4 end. Donatell played him in coverage far too often. Too many people looking at bulk stats/splash plays and not watching games.

Sure Hunter got a decent amount of sacks but he held the edge better in the 4/3 down DE spot, seemed to not hold his balance as well standing up.  I do agree Z. Smith was easily the top OLB for the team last year and I was surprised but he did not have any major injury either last year.  

But yes they played so soft and so many guys were open it was actually harder to get sacks because that zone sucked and they got walked up and down the field.  Then again more opportunities for meaningless sacks because they cannot get off the field.  Really all the sacks were kind of meaningless then because as a unit they sucked so the sacks did not really matter in terms of stopping teams from getting first downs all that often.