Around the NFL

WizardHawk

3 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Dak at $40 per almost feels like a deal at this point

Hurts had 3,701 passing yards and 22 passing TDs to just 6 interceptions. He also, had 760 yards rushing and 13 rushing TDs. He was like Dak and Zeke all in one. Plus he’s 2-1 in playoff games, and played like a man amongst boys in the Superbowl. 

Him signing a deal three years later that’s just $11M more in AAV then Dak doesn’t make me feel good about Daks deal. 

But I’m glad they are on the hook for a mobile QB. Too bad we are on the hook for a poor man’s version of him. 

From what I understand, this contract includes a "no trade clause". 

This means they have to pay him even if he begins to Dak it up in the next 3 years. 

This will eat a great deal of cap room.

Don't forget, the Iggles had a fairly easy schedule, they sort of snuck up on teams this year, no film on them executing the way they did last year AND they lost a lot of players this year.

Philly has achieved 2 SB appearances in the past 5 years largely do in part to FAs.

With this contract that will be difficult to maintain.

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

This means they have to pay him even if he begins to Dak it up in the next 3 years. 

Don't forget, the Iggles had a fairly easy schedule, they sort of snuck up on teams this year, no film on them executing the way they did last year AND they lost a lot of players this year.

Philly has achieved 2 SB appearances in the past 5 years largely do in part to FAs.

Yes, they are reporting it here in Philly news market, there is a no trade clause. 

Don’t underestimate Phillys 2 SB appearances, they did it with 3 different QB’s and 2 different HC’s. Roseman has done a good job building that team several times now. 

Now it’s going to be time to see if Roseman’s draft picks can hold up. They let a ton of starters go this offseason, in particular Defensive starters. So it will be interesting to see if the Offense led by Hurts can carry that team. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Yes, they are reporting it here in Philly news market, there is a no trade clause. 

Don’t underestimate Phillys 2 SB appearances, they did it with 3 different QB’s and 2 different HC’s. Roseman has done a good job building that team several times now. 

Exactly… they’ve set the market with a QB twice since 2016. They’ll be fine. If Hurts starts Daking out they’ve proven the ability to swallow pride, take the hit, and move on. Perhaps even trade him for multiple picks. What they won’t do is double down if he fails, push his cap hit to $60M in year 4 of his deal, and extend him for “10 more years.” 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Now it’s going to be time to see if Roseman’s draft picks can hold up. They let a ton of starters go this offseason, in particular Defensive starters. So it will be interesting to see if the Offense led by Hurts can carry that team. 

Oh I'm not underestimating their appearances, but let's be honest, they had a multitude of FA picks to do it with. 

I merely pointing out that with this contract, they will be hard pressed to continue that part of their success.

Also, they are really banking on Hurts staying healthy. This is hard enough to do with any QB. If you watched him play last year, Hurts took many of those hits head on and was even injured for 2 games in which they went 0-2.

Players like that wear down fast.

10 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Oh I'm not underestimating their appearances, but let's be honest, they had a multitude of FA picks to do it with. 

I merely pointing out that with this contract, they will be hard pressed to continue that part of their success.

Also, they are really banking on Hurts staying healthy. This is hard enough to do with any QB. If you watched him play last year, Hurts took many of those hits head on and was even injured for 2 games in which they went 0-2.

Players like that wear down fast.

Yeah he’ll have a Cam Newton-esk arc. QBs like that don’t Brady out and play to 45. 

On 4/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, DaBoys said:

Hurts had 3,701 passing yards and 22 passing TDs to just 6 interceptions. He also, had 760 yards rushing and 13 rushing TDs. He was like Dak and Zeke all in one. Plus he’s 2-1 in playoff games, and played like a man amongst boys in the Superbowl. 

Him signing a deal three years later that’s just $11M more in AAV then Dak doesn’t make me feel good about Daks deal. 

But I’m glad they are on the hook for a mobile QB. Too bad we are on the hook for a poor man’s version of him. 

It remains to be seen how Jalen will play as he ages, This deal doesn't inherently mean that we'd extend him beyond this deal. Keep in mind, by the end of this deal Jalen will only be 29 so if we see him fall off due to physical decline at the very end then that's totally manageable IMO.

20 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

We'll be paying for it 5 seasons from now probably, but in the short term we're fine.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, textaz03 said:

Philly is built from the trenches outward. Their pass rush ruins games and their offensive line man handles anyone bold enough to line up on the inside and try to stop the run. That is, historically, the best way to win in the NFL. Moreso than having the best passers.

BUT EVEN BIGGER THAN THAT! Philly has hired some of the most amazing football guys and football minds of this era for their coaching staff. Coaches like Pederson and Sirianni, and even their coordinators like Steichen, Ganon, and now this Desai on defense...are some of the best pure football guys around. They don't come from amazing trees where nepotism tends to reign supreme. They don't have a history in flashy schemes or in coaching one hit wonder eye popping stat units on offense or defense. They just have a history in good coaching and are known to live and breathe football. When the rest of the country is tuning into... I dunno, Game of Thrones or the Indy 500 or the Wold Series game 7. These are the kinds of guys who don't know what those things even are because all that matters to them is the film of the next opponent or their most recent practice session. The kinds of guys who's track record may not be the most notable, because they don't always come from those highly coveted coaching trees, but they always shine at what they do because they refuse to let anyone be better at it than them.

Never, ever, underestimate the power of a damn good coaching staff.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, DaBoys said:

too bad we are on the hook for a poor man’s version of him. 

This is what hurts me the most as a Cowboys fan and as a fan of Dak. 

When this offense kept him moving out of the tackle box, and when Dak wasn't shying away from hitting an open lane even when there might be a simple throw to be made, this offense had an added dimension that forced defenses to keep a linebacker closer to the ball.

That's one less guy holding a zone deeper off the line, or one less guy manning up on the runner or TEs, or one less DB on the field than they may prefer for that down.

It forces defenses to sacrifice a tad bit of their overall coverage for the sake of decreasing the risk of consistent, easy gains or first downs by a QB who may not be a game wrecker with his legs but had the burst and toughness to grind out a first down when the coverage is stout or the matchups or reads are unfavorable. As Dak was molded more and more into a prototype, more retro and classic pocket passer, he's lost something that he actually was quite good and reliable at. He didn't have to rack up 700 yards or even 400. So long as he hit that first down marker once or twice a game with his legs, it would allow an easier coverage to work against week after week.

And you know, this is something too I also blame Moore for. Not moving the pocket more, or allowing for shorter route combinations with a shorter timing to afford Dak a higher chance of getting the ball out quickly or bailing for the marker on his own. Maybe the ankle injury made him a little timid to do it. But it's ultimately part of the everyday coaching, gameplanning, film watching and scheming that creates the mentality of what a QB looks to do on the field. And it seemed like this staff for the last several years was not eager to let Dak play like the young, "just mobile enough" and "just accurate enough" passer full of potential that most of us, including me, thought would very well become a guy who deserved close to, or all of, that big pay day. 

They did this with Romo too. And I'm not talking about when Romo was nearing mid thirties and lacked the athletic moves he had as a young starter. I'm talking, mid to late 20s, healthy, still smiling whether it's a TD for Dallas or TD for the opponent that he just threw. They slowly drilled him into a point guard passer, distributing from the pocket methodically and took away that dimension that played a huge part in him take the world by storm. 

The NFL has changed and it was slowly changing even in Romos early years. So why are they drilling the modernized, new era mobility out of their passer that, league wide, is now nearly a standard feature in any upper tier QB?

Sorry, just read that line of your post and felt like ranting lol 😂 Because it really does suck that with two straight high paid QBs we have watched them coach this dimension out of their game.

Edited by Dallas94Ware