Where would Trey Lance rank as a bust if he disappoints next season?

biggie.

23 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know why he would. You're not going to value what he does in camp over what Purdy has done in real games. 

He needs to get into real games, perform well, and steal the job back. But I don't know how he gets into real games without help. Purdy is expected to be back sometime around camp and won't need a ramp up time. 

He's really hoping Purdy's injury is worse than it has been stated so far or he's hoping that the injury really wrecks Purdy's play (which is possible). 

But everything points to this being Purdy's team. 

No way SF won't give Trey a chance too even compete.  After all the draft capital they gave up, out of sheer principle alone, Shanahan will at least leave it open for a QB competition in training camp, possibly up to pre-season.  But there's no way the front office will just accept a loss like that without attempting to recoup it.

6 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

holy crap!! I mean the Browns never won anything with him, but at least they had a HOF player that was a great pro and seemed like a good dude. (And I hate the Browns)

But at least they dodged the bullet of Russell 

If you get the chance, read the Crackburn thread in our forum, and it'll show you everything you need to know about how beloved JT is/was. Dude is an all time great player and person.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

If you get the chance, read the Crackburn thread in our forum, and it'll show you everything you need to know about how beloved JT is/was. Dude is an all time great player and person.

I have seen some of that thread but not the whole thing, that's the member that passed away right? I will check it out.. Thanks for the info. 

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

I have seen some of that thread but not the whole thing, that's the member that passed away right? I will check it out.. Thanks for the info. 

You bet. It's got a link to the old story. Joe Blackburn was our forum mod who passed away with cancer many years ago. Great guy. Worth a 10-15 minute read through. It's still stickied on our forum in the Browns Forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

No way SF won't give Trey a chance too even compete.  After all the draft capital they gave up, out of sheer principle alone, Shanahan will at least leave it open for a QB competition in training camp, possibly up to pre-season.  But there's no way the front office will just accept a loss like that without attempting to recoup it.

The sunk cost fallacy is a fallacy for a reason. 

Treys best shot is the injury pushing Purdy out. The players already consider this purdys team. But he'll have a chance at the very least to steal a look while Purdy is recovering. But if there was no injury, this is purdys team. 

The front office is Kyle so he can pretty much do whatever he wants lol. Lynch works for him and jed loves Kyle

• Like 2

@fluhartz I forgot that the old link was disabled not long ago, so I'll give you the super short version:

Joe, AKA Crackburn, got sick with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. A ton of dudes on this forum from around the entire place orchestrated/reached out to his favorite player, Joe Thomas, to meet Joe. Joe Thomas agreed to it under 2 conditions:

1. This was to get zero media coverage

2. He was not to be compensated at all

JT hung out with him and his family for quite some time and helped to make his day towards the end of his life. Truly awesome stuff during a terrible time.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@fluhartz I forgot that the old link was disabled not long ago, so I'll give you the super short version:

Joe, AKA Crackburn, got sick with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. A ton of dudes on this forum from around the entire place orchestrated/reached out to his favorite player, Joe Thomas, to meet Joe. Joe Thomas agreed to it under 2 conditions:

1. This was to get zero media coverage

2. He was not to be compensated at all

JT hung out with him and his family for quite some time and helped to make his day towards the end of his life. Truly awesome stuff during a terrible time.

dang that is super sad about Crackburn but that is an amazing story and not really surprising... just a good person. 

I remember the draft when Joe knew he was going to probably be a top 5 pick and he went fishing with his dad instead of going tot the draft... just good stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

dang that is super sad about Crackburn but that is an amazing story and not really surprising... just a good person. 

I remember the draft when Joe knew he was going to probably be a top 5 pick and he went fishing with his dad instead of going tot the draft... just good stuff. 

So many good JT stories too. That was awesome and you had to know he was destined to be a Midwest dude. Apparently after his Junior year of college, his position coach called a meeting with him. His coach was clearly nervous/kind of anxious, and he said something along the lines of "Joe, I support you either way, but I really need to know whether or not you're coming back next year."

Joe apparently said something along the lines of "What? Of course I'm coming back, why wouldn't I?"

His coach, dumbfounded, said "Joe, you're projected to be a Top 5 pick in the NFL Draft!" and proceeded to show him the draft board rankings and articles.

JT said something along the lines of "Oh really? That's great. Yeah I'm coming back next year though."

:) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So many good JT stories too. That was awesome and you had to know he was destined to be a Midwest dude. Apparently after his Junior year of college, his position coach called a meeting with him. His coach was clearly nervous/kind of anxious, and he said something along the lines of "Joe, I support you either way, but I really need to know whether or not you're coming back next year."

Joe apparently said something along the lines of "What? Of course I'm coming back, why wouldn't I?"

His coach, dumbfounded, said "Joe, you're projected to be a Top 5 pick in the NFL Draft!" and proceeded to show him the draft board rankings and articles.

JT said something along the lines of "Oh really? That's great. Yeah I'm coming back next year though."

:) 

I love that

And Joe has been a thorn in my side for ever as a Buckeyes and Bengals fan, gut was just too good. Always respected him and appreciated him as a player though and hearing that about the Crackburn stuff just makes him even more awesome... Thanks again for sharing all of that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Injury busts are still busts (Ki-jana carter is still a bust) and I don't think that being a project gets you a release from being labeled a bust. Once you have been selected, you're a bust based on your productivity in relation to your draft spot imo and any "yeah but" is just an excuse that allows us to not be as angry about it or feel better about the player. 

I feel like "injury bust" is different than "crappy player bust." It still counts as a wasted pick but it's more of a bad luck than bad process thing. 

It can still get a coach/GM fired if it happens more than once with a high pick. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Based on resources used to get him?   Near the top, it not THE top.

Based on hype and NFL expectations?    Probably not even top 20 all time.

Thought they massively overpaid for him, but he could still prove me wrong.

This is a great way to put it. Obviously he'll be considered a bust because of how much they gave up for him. But he was a relatively unknown prospect from a small school so there weren't huge expectations for him in the media years before he got to the league.