2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

10 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Exactly. Who cares what draft assets were given up at this point? Atlanta is doing the kind of rebuild worth emulating if it gets to that point. Sign a veteran, ride it out and build the rest of the team accordingly, then go in for the QB.

We've been doing that since 2017 and it's the reason the Broncos haven't been relevant since Peyton retired. It's hard to gain long term stability when your franchise is allergic to drafting top tier QB talent.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, AkronsWitness said:

We've been doing that since 2017 and it's the reason the Broncos haven't been relevant since Peyton retired. It's hard to gain long term stability when your franchise is allergic to drafting top tier QB talent.

I disagree. We've been trying to supplement a strong defense with a middle of the road veteran backup in hopes of making the playoffs and becoming relevant again. I'm talking about finding a vet like Mariota and not paying him a ton but taking your lumps for a year or two while building up a team and then going all in for an available QB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't know about anyone else but I'd be disappointed if Jeudy went for a second and 4th to Cleveland. The last half of the year he was just scratching the surface of his talent . Guess I'm over valuing him as a Broncos fan lol.

I think Jeudy is a nice player, but I don't think he's a franchise changer if I'm being totally honest. We shouldn't sell low, but if we're not going to pick up his 5th year option or keep him long term, we should take the pick. If we can land something like the CLE 2nd rounder + Newsome that I saw thrown around, we should definitely take it.

I don't think you're overvaluing him, but I think it's fair to ask how important any WR will be in this offense, or whether we can/should deal from a position of excess to bolster the rest of the team. If Jeudy was our only WR, it would be foolish to move him (or Sutton). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

think Jeudy is a nice player, but I don't think he's a franchise changer if I'm being totally honest. We shouldn't sell low, but if we're not going to pick up his 5th year option or keep him long term, we should take the pick. If we can land something like the CLE 2nd rounder + Newsome that I saw thrown around, we should definitely take it.

Well Newsome was a first round pick in 2021 if he has high upside not a terrible decision.  but a second and a 4th would kinda annoy me. Because after a couple injury riddled seasons jeudy finally looked like the 15th pick in the 2020 draft.

I do think Jeudy can be a franchise player at wr though. His route running, Versatility to line up everywhere, and Sean Paytons offense he could thrive.

I think what makes me ok with moving on from Jeudy is 1.) He is the most valuable piece on our offense so he would return the best package. That in combination with 2.) I don't think we're going to take advantage of what he offers. Is he talented and can fit in a Sean Payton offense? Definitely. Is Russ a rhythm passer that is going to maximize the route running and precision Jeudy offers, I highly doubt it. Maybe if the situation was different where we're not tied to Russ for the next 2 seasons I would oppose it, but given the make up of this team for the next few years, better to get value now and get an extra couple years of someone on a rookie contract. 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

I think what makes me ok with moving on from Jeudy is 1.) He is the most valuable piece on our offense so he would return the best package. That in combination with 2.) I don't think we're going to take advantage of what he offers. Is he talented and can fit in a Sean Payton offense? Definitely. Is Russ a rhythm passer that is going to maximize the route running and precision Jeudy offers, I highly doubt it. Maybe if the situation was different where we're not tied to Russ for the next 2 seasons I would oppose it, but given the make up of this team for the next few years, better to get value now and get an extra couple years of someone on a rookie contract. 

Man.. Imagine what PFM could have done with Jeudy. He’s literally one of the most uncoverable receivers I’ve ever seen against man coverage. The way Manning could have moved him around to create those matchups.. the perfect timing.. DT and Orange Julius keeping the safeties back.. Jeudy would have been absolutely horrific for defenses to figure out. 

• Like 3

Haven’t had time to post much, so I will be putting some things that might deserve being in another thread here.

1. Sean Payton- I am not a fan of Payton, just like I am not a fan of Russ Wilson.  I think both or poor quality/ego maniac people.  As I said with Wilson (and Rodgers last year if that’s who Denver traded for instead) I get the move.  Payton is a highly successful coach, he’s a guy that comes in that Wilson can’t walk all over.  It’s a business at the end of the day and I fully understand that. 

2.  This has been a homerun free agency period.  Denver landed arguably the best OT and the best OG on the market. That fills 2 massive holes for this team.  Bringing back Singleton to pair with Jewell keeps one of the best LB tandems in the league together for another year.  Zach Allen is a similarly productive player to D. Jones and we add him for less money and he’s familiar with Joseph’s system.  One of my favorite signings is Stidham.  He’s not a backend backup.  He’s young and talented and puts pressure on Wilson.  Manhertz has a track record at multiple stops of being an exceptional blocking TE.  I’ve seen stuff where they’ve left him 1 v 1 on elite pass rushers in this league.  Perine is a Jack of all trades type.  Filled a ton of needs there.

I am interested to see where the draft goes.  The DL seems like it still is a need.  Speed overall offensively seems like a need.  I said this before Payton was hired, but RBs that can catch the ball play a huge role in his offense.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a RB with some of their higher picks. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 11:37 AM, grizmo78 said:

Agreed with Grizmo that I believe in Jeudy talent, but don’t think it will be realized here. If he lands in a place that can take advantage of his talents he will be a terror. So even tho I like him more than Sutton, probably, I’d be uunderstanding if the right trade fell into place 

Edited by champ11

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Agreed with Grizmo that I believe in Jeudy talent, but don’t think it will be realized here. If he lands in a place that can take advantage of his talents he will be a terror. So even tho I like him more than Sutton, probably, I’d be uunderstanding if the right trade fell into place 

I actually think it could be now that Payton is here. He seems to have a knack for putting players in positions to succeed even if Wilson isn't a timing thrower. I guess we will see pretty early if this is true

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I actually think it could be now that Payton is here. He seems to have a knack for putting players in positions to succeed even if Wilson isn't a timing thrower. I guess we will see pretty early if this is true

Just my opinion but I think Sean is much happier having Juedy on the roster than he is Russ. Jeudy will be a great fit for Paytons WCO/Air Coryell version. Russ probably can't execute it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just my opinion but I think Sean is much happier having Juedy on the roster than he is Russ. Jeudy will be a great fit for Paytons WCO/Air Coryell version. Russ probably can't execute it.

Payton likes his WRs to be physical in the run game, though. Michael Thomas, Marques Colston, even Lance Moore - all very physical in the run game.

Jeudy - not so much.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Payton likes his WRs to be physical in the run game, though. Michael Thomas, Marques Colston, even Lance Moore - all very physical in the run game.

Jeudy - not so much.

True story. Getting in the way is about the extent of his blocking. 

I'm just thinking he's a "route tree" nightmare, especially for an offense that stresses more intermediate/deep routes.