Browns release S John Johnson III

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

the Browns are what happened 

Yes and No.

Joe Woods had him as a FS in 2021 when he was a great box player, completely misutilizing his skill set.

This past year he showed pretty clearly a lack of consistency and willingness even in that regard. 

I think Woods lost the entire defense from an effort standpoint but he is culpable for the lack of consistency and effort in run support and leadership.

Perhaps he will be a better fit somewhere else as a box guy, but he’s not great against the pass.

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

A June 1st designation doesn’t literally have to occur on or after June 1st.

Correct 

It’s actually more beneficial for everyone. The team can save, the player can start looking, and other teams can contact him to express interest.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No.

Joe Woods had him as a FS in 2021 when he was a great box player, completely misutilizing his skill set.

This past year he showed pretty clearly a lack of consistency and willingness even in that regard. 

I think Woods lost the entire defense from an effort standpoint but he is culpable for the lack of consistency and effort in run support and leadership.

Perhaps he will be a better fit somewhere else as a box guy, but he’s not great against the pass.

Dude was a stud in our split-safety scheme in 2020.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Dude was a stud in our split-safety scheme in 2020.

No disrespect, but when you have the front 4 they did with the overall scheme and play, you get a lot of guys who are solid who get more credit than they should. Don’t get me wrong I know he was good then, but between Donald, Brockers, Floyd, and Ramsey, with Fuller and Troy Hill checking in, that really left him in a nice spot to be built for success. Here he was expected to be an impact player and he was exposed a lot on the back end in coverage.

In a different scheme perhaps he does better. Like I said, Woods didn’t exactly set him up for success, but a lot of other safeties probably do about as comparably as he did considering how loaded the roster around him was. Elite DL play really makes some dudes look better than they are IMO.

I don’t know what it is with teams taking DBs from the Rams and then not knowing how to use them.

Dude excelled in a specific role in LA and then he goes to Cleveland and is asked to do something completely different. Johnson? Let’s have him play free safety! Joyner? Let’s have him play slot corner! Williams? Let’s have him play slot corner!