Browns release S John Johnson III

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

No disrespect, but when you have the front 4 they did with the overall scheme and play, you get a lot of guys who are solid who get more credit than they should. Don’t get me wrong I know he was good then, but between Donald, Brockers, Floyd, and Ramsey, with Fuller and Troy Hill checking in, that really left him in a nice spot to be built for success. Here he was expected to be an impact player and he was exposed a lot on the back end in coverage.

In a different scheme perhaps he does better. Like I said, Woods didn’t exactly set him up for success, but a lot of other safeties probably do about as comparably as he did considering how loaded the roster around him was. Elite DL play really makes some dudes look better than they are IMO.

If Myles is as good as Donald then JJ should have thrived. All the guys you mentioned were a product of Donald. 

• Like 1

It's like the most predictable result in free agency, at this point. Great team lets a tier two piece of their roster walk in free agency, some lesser team thinks they can sign him to a huge deal and make him a tier one guy on their roster, and then completely misses the reason said player was so good in their original situation. Bad to mediocre teams need to stop giving big money to great teams' box safeties and nickel corners and third down RBs and #2 WRs in hopes that they can magically be the guy who does everything in his next stop. Would not be shocked in the least if he goes right back to LA and picks up right where he left off in the right scheme with the right coaching again.

• Like 2

He was definitely below average with the Browns. Very slow and plodding. Didn't have a quick trigger to the run game. Blew some coverages (not 100% sure who that was on, to be fair).

He was straight up not good and I'm not sure how he was ever good given he was lacking in multiple areas (physical, mental, athleticism).

That said, Joe Woods is the opposite of King Midas. Everything he touches turns to white dog $hit. With that said, I think it was a little bit of both. I think Johnson was hung out to dry, as there were so many free running players at him all season long. He was tasked to be the eraser on every single down because our DE's flew up the field, our DT's were getting blown off the ball 15 yards, and we insisted on playing with 1-2 linebackers all game long. We also insisted on not jamming any WR's, so they had sprinting starts at a poor athlete.

We did JJIII no favors, but I also don't think he's very good.

54 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

If Myles is as good as Donald then JJ should have thrived. All the guys you mentioned were a product of Donald. 

Donald is an interior generational player and the Rams have done a good job of giving him Robins to his Batman with Miller and Floyd as well as Brockers.

The Browns gave Myles a washed up Clowney and Tommy Togiai…a little different.

49 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Donald is an interior generational player and the Rams have done a good job of giving him Robins to his Batman with Miller and Floyd as well as Brockers.

The Browns gave Myles a washed up Clowney and Tommy Togiai…a little different.

Sir. Floyd was a bust in Chi even playing along side an elite Dline with Mack and Eddie. Brockers has done nothing in Det. Miller got better with Donald. But I can’t argue that one because Miller was still pretty good. 

Brockers has 1 sack in 22 games in det 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Sir. Floyd was a bust in Chi even playing along side an elite Dline with Mack and Eddie. Brockers has done nothing in Det. Miller got better with Donald. But I can’t argue that one because Miller was still pretty good. 

Brockers has 1 sack in 22 games in det 

My entire point in context was that one can easily argue JJ3 in 2020 was the 5th or 6th best player on that defense. In Cleveland he was supposed to be their third best behind Myles and Ward.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He was definitely below average with the Browns. Very slow and plodding. Didn't have a quick trigger to the run game. Blew some coverages (not 100% sure who that was on, to be fair).

He was straight up not good and I'm not sure how he was ever good given he was lacking in multiple areas (physical, mental, athleticism).

That said, Joe Woods is the opposite of King Midas. Everything he touches turns to white dog $hit. With that said, I think it was a little bit of both. I think Johnson was hung out to dry, as there were so many free running players at him all season long. He was tasked to be the eraser on every single down because our DE's flew up the field, our DT's were getting blown off the ball 15 yards, and we insisted on playing with 1-2 linebackers all game long. We also insisted on not jamming any WR's, so they had sprinting starts at a poor athlete.

We did JJIII no favors, but I also don't think he's very good.

It's hard for me to say if he's physically declined because I don't watch Cleveland often, but I can say that our coaching staff respected his mental game to such a degree that he was our defensive play caller when we had the #1 defense in the NFL in 2020.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-rams-john-johnson-quarterback-of-defense

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's hard for me to say if he's physically declined because I don't watch Cleveland often, but I can say that our coaching staff respected his mental game to such a degree that he was our defensive play caller when we had the #1 defense in the NFL in 2020.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-rams-john-johnson-quarterback-of-defense

Yup. He’s still way too young and healthy to have such a steep physical drop-off. 

He wasn’t very great for the browns 

but he was a professional safety

he’s just not a true FS so most of the time he was playing out of position. 

he really needs to be a nickel safety or a two high safety. He doesn’t have the range to be a deep middle guy. So he looked bad. 

get him to play closer to the box and he’s a solid tackler. 

I could see him being solid on the patriots. He can cover half the field but not a deep middle. Either put him in a cover two type team or nickel safety. 

If he follows the fit and not the money this time he’ll get back to being a quality starter. Wish him well 

It’s insane hearing how bad he was mentally and physically. Most ram fans thought he was going to put up bigger numbers in Clev. Dude was a stud everywhere on the field for us much like Joyner. He was always making the tackle. I do know that he loved LA. The girl and vibe maybe his heart wasn’t in it. Specially after a pay day. But that doesn’t sound like JJ he was always talking about being of the best. 

2 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

It’s insane hearing how bad he was mentally and physically. Most ram fans thought he was going to put up bigger numbers in Clev. Dude was a stud everywhere on the field for us much like Joyner. He was always making the tackle. I do know that he loved LA. The girl and vibe maybe his heart wasn’t in it. Specially after a pay day. But that doesn’t sound like JJ he was always talking about being of the best. 

He was pretty much a JAG for us. Not terrible but certainly not worth what he was being paid. But I place a lot of the blame on Joe Woods. JJ3 just turned off a lot of fans with his poor effort at times. Like I said, I could see him being a good player again if he goes to a team that better utilizes his talents. Woods was truly an awful DC.

• Like 1