2023 draft prospects 49ers have met with thread

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Same with Banks tbh

I think the thing that enamored the 49ers with Banks was how good he was in true pass set reps in college. I think that was what they were looking for with his selection more than anything because our interior line was having their lunch stolen again and again. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the thing that enamored the 49ers with Banks was how good he was in true pass set reps in college. I think that was what they were looking for with his selection more than anything because our interior line was having their lunch stolen again and again. 

Which is weird to me, because Banks' true pass set wins were almost all short sets where he used his enormous bulk to immediately anchor and cut guys off. And the staff immediately asked him to lose 20-25 pounds to move better in the running game, which I have to imagine made that sort of strategy more difficult to execute. I haven't ground Banks' tape specifically last year or the year before, but it just seems counterintuitive.

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Which is weird to me, because Banks' true pass set wins were almost all short sets where he used his enormous bulk to immediately anchor and cut guys off. And the staff immediately asked him to lose 20-25 pounds to move better in the running game, which I have to imagine made that sort of strategy more difficult to execute. I haven't ground Banks' tape specifically last year or the year before, but it just seems counterintuitive.

I feel like they did something similar with Sermon. I swear that I remember hearing that they were trying to alter thing in his running style to better fit the team, but I can't remember for sure.

I wonder if the weight loss thing came after acknowledging a  miseval, because in camp and preseason he was lumbering even in pass protection as well. He was losing off the hip pretty quickly because his initial kick step loooooooooooooked so slow to keep him leveled up on the pass rusher. So maybe they just misevaluated the weigh. 

That entire draft is so weird. I'm not sure what happened, but they clearly really mucked up some scouting because there were just so many straight up wrong evaluations. They whiffed on the Lance thing and how fast and good of a runner he was. They were clearly way wrong on Sermon and Banks took a redshirt year to get where they wanted him to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I feel like they did something similar with Sermon. I swear that I remember hearing that they were trying to alter thing in his running style to better fit the team, but I can't remember for sure.

I wonder if the weight loss thing came after acknowledging a  miseval, because in camp and preseason he was lumbering even in pass protection as well. He was losing off the hip pretty quickly because his initial kick step loooooooooooooked so slow to keep him leveled up on the pass rusher. So maybe they just misevaluated the weigh. 

That entire draft is so weird. I'm not sure what happened, but they clearly really mucked up some scouting because there were just so many straight up wrong evaluations. They whiffed on the Lance thing and how fast and good of a runner he was. They were clearly way wrong on Sermon and Banks took a redshirt year to get where they wanted him to be. 

Pretty sure it was to get Sermon to stop dancing and be more assertive with hitting the hole. 

Essentially, be more like Elijah Mitchell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Forge said:

They nailed some real gems in that draft, weirdly (or less so if you consider that the later round picks have more of an analytics/scouting team input). I was super unexcited about Huf at the time. Average speed smaller box safeties just aren't very exciting to me. But they trusted their eyes and some specific bits of data and got a real starter out of the deal. Massive win. And while running backs are numerous and relatively easy to find and/or replace, Mitchell was still a huge coup. Now, I thought even at the time that Mitchell probably should have been taking a tick earlier given his testing numbers, but still. They've done so well with the Purdys and Hufs and Greenlaws that it has overcome some real head smashers early in the draft. Like, I get that it is rough trying to tell Kyle Shanahan this (and impossible to account for his feelings after the fact), but maybe you need to let the personnel boys do their job and get you the kinds of things that you ask for rather than pushing for coaching staff loves. For every Deebo on that front, there's been two Kinlaws. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JIllg said:

They nailed some real gems in that draft, weirdly (or less so if you consider that the later round picks have more of an analytics/scouting team input). I was super unexcited about Huf at the time. Average speed smaller box safeties just aren't very exciting to me. But they trusted their eyes and some specific bits of data and got a real starter out of the deal. Massive win. And while running backs are numerous and relatively easy to find and/or replace, Mitchell was still a huge coup. Now, I thought even at the time that Mitchell probably should have been taking a tick earlier given his testing numbers, but still. They've done so well with the Purdys and Hufs and Greenlaws that it has overcome some real head smashers early in the draft. Like, I get that it is rough trying to tell Kyle Shanahan this (and impossible to account for his feelings after the fact), but maybe you need to let the personnel boys do their job and get you the kinds of things that you ask for rather than pushing for coaching staff loves. For every Deebo on that front, there's been two Kinlaws. 

Mom Yes GIF by Emmys

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Duuuuuuuuude, I am not sure where he is projected to go, but it looks like he would fit in the system really nicely.  I think he would play of TDP.  He is fast, deceptively strong, decisive, plays with good burst and angles.  He might fall because he is upright, and not particularly thick.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

On 3/31/2023 at 2:37 PM, Forge said:

My understanding is that it was an official 30 visit, so definitely a big one

We're definitely drating Mapu, aren't we? Seems like the ideal 49er LB from a size and versatility perspective. Follows in the footsteps of Fred, DFF, and McCrary-Ball of S/LB tweener guys. 

The Draft Network's "reason to buy in" is his length, athletic profile, pass coverage, IQ and instincts, and physicality. They like him as a versatile hybrid defender capable of covering big-bodied recievers in zone or in man. 

This sounds like the kind of kid 49ers covet. I would not be shocked if we drafted him.

• Like 3

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

We're definitely drating Mapu, aren't we? Seems like the ideal 49er LB from a size and versatility perspective. Follows in the footsteps of Fred, DFF, and McCrary-Ball of S/LB tweener guys. 

The Draft Network's "reason to buy in" is his length, athletic profile, pass coverage, IQ and instincts, and physicality. They like him as a versatile hybrid defender capable of covering big-bodied recievers in zone or in man. 

This sounds like the kind of kid 49ers covet. I would not be shocked if we drafted him.

I think we will, yes. I'm assuming that their intent is to make him a linebacker and I would assume that we pick him in round 5. He didn't get a combine invite, so that means that interest is somewhat tepid. The linebacker class is brutal this year as well. So I think that we will make the move in round 5 just to make sure that we get him and it will be plenty early enough. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we will, yes. I'm assuming that their intent is to make him a linebacker and I would assume that we pick him in round 5. He didn't get a combine invite, so that means that interest is somewhat tepid. The linebacker class is brutal this year as well. So I think that we will make the move in round 5 just to make sure that we get him and it will be plenty early enough. 

He also tore his pec, too, didn't he? I think read he will be full go for training camp, but I wonder if that bumps him down to round 6. PFF doesn't even know who Mapu is and isn't listed on their big board or in their draft simulator. TDN has him 138 overall and a Mock draft Database has him at 301 in their consensus big board. 

With 8 day 3 picks, if they fall in love with a day 3 prospect, they'll get the guy(s) they want. Mapu seems like a good bet to be a day 3 target for us.