2023 draft prospects 49ers have met with thread

49erurtaza

6 hours ago, GW21 said:

I feel like we will trade Elijah Mitchell at some point, but I was thinking next offseason would make more sense.

I don't mind trading Mitchell and replacing him with someone equally speedy but more durable, but it's not exactly high on my list of priorities. And neither Charbonnet nor Johnson are speedsters.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Shame he is 25 already too. Like for his ST work i wouldn't mind spending a 6 or 7 but as a safety i have serious doubts.

This has to be the highest number of 25 year olds in a single NFL draft ever lol 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

This has to be the highest number of 25 year olds in a single NFL draft ever lol 

All because of the covid exceptions. RS plus that puts a lot of guys that are on that edge where declaring early is not really worth it even further behind. But yeah there is a load of them and this time its not because they went to BYU.

• Like 2

Okay, final 9ers draft prediction based on the guys they've been meeting with a ton and that meet their player profiles:

99: Roschon Johnson, RB Texas - I think that they'd prefer Charbonnet due to pass catching and ability to handle a larger load (they've been really wanting a Trey Sermon type) and might do a little trade up if Charbonnet is available (he's also the sort of guy that I bet Frank Gore will go to bat heavily for), but I don't think that Charbonnet will fall far enough to where they'd like.  

101: Ja'Ayir Brown, S Penn State - playmaking, hard hitting alignment versatile S that ad-libs a lot and ran a slower 40 than maybe the tape indicates (might remind everyone of someone). 

102: Zach Kuntz, TE Old Dominion - Physical freak at a position that requires freakiness to succeed that might actually fall to them. They might prefer Brenton Strange for blocking and tackle breaking, but I do not. I don't see the upside really. Tucker Kraft is more of the best of both worlds, but I don't think that he makes it here and I don't think they want him enough to go up for him.

155: Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB UCLA - Might not fall this far, might fall farther. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken before the team is really interested in him or if they really love him and go up to try and attack it. DTR creates a weird evaluation landscape for me. But I get what the team sees as they've shown a lot of interest. Really quick 10 and 20 yard split, attacked the middle of the field off of play action in college, a lot of experience, really high expected completion percentage and actual completion percentage his final year, threw too many interceptions trying to make plays. Again, these traits should remind us all of someone. There's more downside there. The first few years were not good, for instance. But yeah. 

164: Braeden Daniels, OL Utah - Stocky offensive lineman. Really good at walling off defenders in the run game. Really good athlete that gets to the second level and picks off defenders. A little like the suped up athlete version of last year's Spencer Burford as a shorter, stockier college OT that anchors better than his weight would indicate. Probably tagged for the Daniel Brunskill role initially with a chance to move into guard. High likelihood, IMO. The team has shown a ton of interest.

173: Terrell Smith, CB Minnesota - Shorter corner that can really stick with guys. I think that they feel really comfortable with their bigger corner in Ward and Oliver can play that role in a pinch. So they will be looking for high quality undervalued smaller guys to fill out the cornerback room. Smith is battle tested and fiesty.

216: Dontayvius Wicks, WR Virginia - Slower tackle breaking WR. They are definitely targeting a Jajaun Jennings replacement. This is where I think the guys that they are looking at for the role and the value meet. Could definitely see Ronnie Bell, though. The interest is definitely there. I'm just not sure Bell falls to where they'd like to fill that role.

222: Tavius Robinson, DE Mississippi - Bigger, versatile DE. They're looking at a few of these guys. I like the expected places that Tavius Robinson is going compared to the likelihood that he becomes hits more than the others.

247: Dante Stills, DT West Virginia - Shorter, very quick, penetrating DT. Quality 1 gap guy that can't do more than that or hold against double teams, but can really disrupt the run and passing game if he can shoot gaps. Kevin Givens sort of guy.

253: Lance Boykin, CB Coastal Carolina - Shorter athletic flier corner. Not really my jam, but I think it's where he'll go and he was on the visit list. Can insert any number of flier corners or tight ends or whatever here, really.

255: Anders Carlsson, K Auburn - coming off a knee injury (and some inconsistency), but he's got the sort of big leg they seem to be interested in. I don't really want him. It was rough that last year for Carlsson as an Auburn fan. And Anders has never been nearly as good as his brother was for us. But the team has done a lot of work on him and I don't think that they want to spend a more valuable pick on a guy to compete with Zane Gonzales.

Edited by JIllg
dummy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Okay, final 9ers draft prediction based on the guys they've been meeting with a ton and that meet their player profiles:

99: Roschon Johnson, RB Texas - I think that they'd prefer Charbonnet due to pass catching and ability to handle a larger load (they've been really wanting a Trey Sermon type) and might do a little trade up if Charbonnet is available (he's also the sort of guy that I bet Frank Gore will go to bat heavily for), but I don't think that Charbonnet will fall far enough to where they'd like.  

101: Ja'Ayir Brown, S Penn State - playmaking, hard hitting alignment versatile S that ad-libs a lot and ran a slower 40 than maybe the tape indicates (might remind everyone of someone). 

102: Zach Kuntz, TE Old Dominion - Physical freak at a position that requires freakiness to succeed that might actually fall to them. They might prefer Brenton Strange for blocking and tackle breaking, but I do not. I don't see the upside really. Tucker Kraft is more of the best of both worlds, but I don't think that he makes it here and I don't think they want him enough to go up for him.

155: Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB UCLA - Might not fall this far, might fall farther. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets taken before the team is really interested in him or if they really love him and go up to try and attack it. DTR creates a weird evaluation landscape for me. But I get what the team sees as they've shown a lot of interest. Really quick 10 and 20 yard split, attacked the middle of the field off of play action in college, a lot of experience, really high expected completion percentage and actual completion percentage his final year, threw too many interceptions trying to make plays. Again, these traits should remind us all of someone. There's more downside there. The first few years were not good, for instance. But yeah. 

164: Braeden Daniels, OL Utah - Stocky offensive lineman. Really good at walling off defenders in the run game. Really good athlete that gets to the second level and picks off defenders. A little like the suped up athlete version of last year's Spencer Burford as a shorter, stockier college OT that anchors better than his weight would indicate. Probably tagged for the Daniel Brunskill role initially with a chance to move into guard. High likelihood, IMO. The team has shown a ton of interest.

173: Terrell Smith, CB Minnesota - Shorter corner that can really stick with guys. I think that they feel really comfortable with their bigger corner in Ward and Oliver can play that role in a pinch. So they will be looking for high quality undervalued smaller guys to fill out the cornerback room. Smith is battle tested and fiesty.

216: Dontayvius Wicks, WR Virginia - Slower tackle breaking WR. They are definitely targeting a Jajaun Jennings replacement. This is where I think the guys that they are looking at for the role and the value meet. Could definitely see Ronnie Bell, though. The interest is definitely there. I'm just not sure Bell falls to where they'd like to fill that role.

222: Tavius Robinson, DE Mississippi - Bigger, versatile DE. They're looking at a few of these guys. I like the expected places that Tavius Robinson is going compared to the likelihood that he becomes hits more than the others.

247: Dante Stills, DT West Virginia - Shorter, very quick, penetrating DT. Quality 1 gap guy that can't do more than that or hold against double teams, but can really disrupt the run and passing game if he can shoot gaps. Kevin Givens sort of guy.

253: Lance Boykin, CB Coastal Carolina - Shorter athletic flier corner. Not really my jam, but I think it's where he'll go and he was on the visit list. Can insert any number of flier corners or tight ends or whatever here, really.

255: Anders Carlsson, K Auburn - coming off a knee injury (and some inconsistency), but he's got the sort of big leg they seem to be interested in. I don't really want him. It was rough that last year for Carlsson as an Auburn fan. And Anders has never been nearly as good as his brother was for us. But the team has done a lot of work on him and I don't think that they want to spend a more valuable pick on a guy to compete with Zane Gonzales.

This would be a fine draft, but I'm pretty weary of selecting Kuntz. He's essentially Mike Geiseki and it could take his entire rookie contract to get close to that. Also, he's a big slot and would offer almost nothing in the run game. 

Kuntz is more of a receiver and would be better served playing in a scheme that throws the ball a ton and doesn't ask him to block. That's not really us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This would be a fine draft, but I'm pretty weary of selecting Kuntz. He's essentially Mike Geiseki and it could take his entire rookie contract to get close to that. Also, he's a big slot and would offer almost nothing in the run game. 

Kuntz is more of a receiver and would be better served playing in a scheme that throws the ball a ton and doesn't ask him to block. That's not really us. 

All really good points. I agree that the team (and the scheme) probably fit Brenton Strange more. I just don't see the upside. Kuntz was something of a protest pick lol. I'd probably prefer Josh Whyle or Davis Allen for myself, but the 9ers have shown little interest since the combine. This doesn't mean absolutely that they won't go after guys, but they rarely hide the guys that they care about after the first round. I really, really don't want Cameron Latu. And a lot of the rest of the names look like 7th round fliers and UDFA sorts.

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Love the Daniels, Stills, Robinson picks. Not a Roschon fan. I know what you mean on DTR. I watched some of his games. Some of those were outright disasters. 

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

All really good points. I agree that the team (and the scheme) probably fit Brenton Strange more. I just don't see the upside. Kuntz was something of a protest pick lol. I'd probably prefer Josh Whyle or Davis Allen for myself, but the 9ers have shown little interest since the combine. This doesn't mean absolutely that they won't go after guys, but they rarely hide the guys that they care about after the first round. I really, really don't want Cameron Latu. And a lot of the rest of the names look like 7th round fliers and UDFA sorts.

I like Strange and some of the other TEs, but I only REALLY like one TE for us which is LaPorta. He seems to fit exactly what we want. Even the guys ranked higher than him are of no use to us with the exception of Musgrave. But he's going to go too high to trade up for.

To me, it's this:

LaPorta

Kraft

Strange

Allen

Schoonmaker

Whyle

Latu

Durham

LaPorta would be a guy I'd move up into the early 3rd round to get if he falls out of the second. If not, then I'd focus on Kraft, Strange, and Allen as guys I'd take with one of our 3rds. 

• Like 1