2023 NFL offseason

Forge

Just now, 49erscap said:

Is that a rumor, or what you would take? This draft is weak, I hope we take as few players as possible, not enough holes on the team for 11 picks.

Just something kicked around by one of the other members. It may be asking a lot for to get 33 from Houston, but 65 and 73 can be packaged for a pick between 40 - 45. So that's fine if we go about it that way. 

If you package each of those with one of comp thirds, you could end up with two picks in the 50-60 range if you found takers and then still have a pick 102 or whatever. 

Not a shock at the rumor. Welp, like it or not Lance had his chances, and got hurt twice. And didn't blow away Kyle and his staff to the point where they didn't peace out on Jimmy G sooner rather than later.

It's cool. Sucker some team into a trade, and take Max Duggan in the 7th hee haw. 

• Like 3

Niners Nation gave me the idea for asking this: What pick have the 9ers made that had you the most excited but disappointed the most? 

I think I have 2 possibilities: Tai Streets, WR Michigan, the 9ers took in the 6th round after he tore his ACL. Granted, it was the 6th round, but after watching him at Michigan, I loved this kid and was so excited--I was convinced we had a steal. I think it was the '98 draft. Unfortunately, he never truly got back the deceptive speed that he had at Michigan. 

The other would have to be Greg Clark, TE from Stanford. He and I had been at the same Junior College, so I had gotten to see him play in person. He only lasted 3 years due to chronic hamstring issues, but he was key in the Catch II. While Owens was busy alligator arming a lot of the passes that came his way, Clark had 3 catches: 1 first down and 2 TDs! Those TDs were apparently what some GB DBs called "Oh Sh!t routes": Clark feinted as if he tripped and got open quickly for Steve to throw it to him.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Niners Nation gave me the idea for asking this: What pick have the 9ers made that had you the most excited but disappointed the most? 

I think I have 2 possibilities: Tai Streets, WR Michigan, the 9ers took in the 6th round after he tore his ACL. Granted, it was the 6th round, but after watching him at Michigan, I loved this kid and was so excited--I was convinced we had a steal. I think it was the '98 draft. Unfortunately, he never truly got back the deceptive speed that he had at Michigan. 

The other would have to be Greg Clark, TE from Stanford. He and I had been at the same Junior College, so I had gotten to see him play in person. He only lasted 3 years due to chronic hamstring issues, but he was key in the Catch II. While Owens was busy alligator arming a lot of the passes that came his way, Clark had 3 catches: 1 first down and 2 TDs! Those TDs were apparently what some GB DBs called "Oh Sh!t routes": Clark feinted as if he tripped and got open quickly for Steve to throw it to him.  

Really liked LaMichael James. I don't think it was a talent issue with him, I think it was Harbaugh's unwillingness to play him which led to attitude issues and made him fall out of the league. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I've been a 49ers fan since the late 90's, but didn't start following the draft until around 2004, so my answers are going to be fairly recent. 

• Manny Lawson - Freak athlete that was fine, but I thought he could've been great.
  • Jason Hill - I remember being excited about him during the draft but he just didn't do much.
  • Josh Morgan - A Hokie being drafted by the Niners was exciting for me and I liked him a lot in college. 
  • Taylor Mays - Combine warrior. Loved him in Madden but he just flat out sucked in real life.
  • Quinton Patton - I remember he was considered a draft sleeper pre-draft, so when we got him I was excited. 
  • Rashard Robinson - I remember he was a red flag character guy in the draft but very talented. I thought there was a chance he could be great, but he just flamed out. 

Bonus: I wasn't really hyped about the pick but I remember he was a big deal that fell because of injuries - Brandon Thomas, OL from Clemson. He didn't do a thing with the 49ers.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Recent era, like the last decade: 

100% Tank Carradine. I was such a fan coming out of college. 

Also, as a mid round pick project type, Deandre Smelter. I really thought we were going to unlock something there. 

From 2000 - 2009 I think it may be Crabtree. After college, I really just thought he was going to be special. He was a very solid receiver, but again, I was thinking special. The other two in that range would probably be Manny Lawson (again, solid player, but with what a freak he was, I thought there was a chance he was going to be truly elite) and Kevan Barlow. 

In the 1990s I think that will be JJ Stokes by a pretty sizeable margin followed by Dexter Carter. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Recent era, like the last decade: 

100% Tank Carradine. I was such a fan coming out of college. 

Also, as a mid round pick project type, Deandre Smelter. I really thought we were going to unlock something there. 

From 2000 - 2009 I think it may be Crabtree. After college, I really just thought he was going to be special. He was a very solid receiver, but again, I was thinking special. The other two in that range would probably be Manny Lawson (again, solid player, but with what a freak he was, I thought there was a chance he was going to be truly elite) and Kevan Barlow. 

In the 1990s I think that will be JJ Stokes by a pretty sizeable margin followed by Dexter Carter. 

Agreed on Crabtree. I thought he was going to be that guy when we drafted him. And while he was a very reliable chain mover and YAC player, he never added anything down the field (even with Kaep throwing him the ball). That stuff doesn't generally just involve top end speed; you can also do it with release packages and stacking guys and Crabtree just never made it work. If that team needed an explosive, it looked to Vernon Davis. 

I'd add Marcus Lattimore. Loved him coming out of high school. It was looking like he'd attend my alma mater for a long time, but he went to South Carolina and was a major force (knee injuries excepted). Was hoping he'd do a nice Frank Gore impression. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

I think Quinton Patton would have been a high one on my list. 

I'm not seeing anyone that stands out in more recent drafts, nothing truly notable. 

At one point, I remember being super hopeful on Jay Moore... guess that was around the time of the Thomas Clayton preseason hype? lol

omgz, Mike Rumph... just seeing that name hurts my eyes and makes me think of the Antonio Langham FA bust. 

• Like 2

Good call out on Crabtree @Forge I was soooo happy when he fell to 10. Another guy I was absolutely pulling for and we got was Aaron Lynch. I don’t know that we can whine about the production we got from Lynch based on where we drafted him, but he could have been so much more. 

• Like 2