2023 NFL offseason

Forge

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

its impressive that his value has likely tanked beyond a point of Rosen and Darnold already. Those guys were just flat out bad...Lance is just an unknown 

I think the Rosen and especially the Darnold events really hurt the value. The logic for doing those deals was clear at the time. You are getting a young quarterback with upside on essentially a free contract (especially with the guarantees already paid for) - so they only have to hit a small portion of the time to make it worth it. But the problem is that you only have a year or maybe two to make a decision on those guys. And they'll be in a different environment with different players around them. So the likelihood that they hit on the second swing on the first rookie contract is low. Teams have had more success with the post-first contract reclamation projects in part because those guys get more runway. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:29 PM, Forge said:

its impressive that his value has likely tanked beyond a point of Rosen and Darnold already. Those guys were just flat out bad...Lance is just an unknown 

I think the "no offers" isn't genuine. 

Here is how I think the talks are going down:

"Hey, what do you want for Trey?"

"Want [something exorbitant no one wants to pay]"

"Ah, ok then, I wont make an offer because that is waaaay more than I want to pay"

If they said they wanted [less than what they are currently asking], I would bet they would have had an offer or two. It is not unlike selling a house. A house with a low listed price will get multiple offers, a home that is listed above its market value will probably not get any offers. 

30 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think the "no offers" isn't genuine. 

Here is how I think the talks are going down:

"Hey, what do you want for Trey?"

"Want [something exorbitant no one wants to pay]"

"Ah, ok then, I wont make an offer because that is waaaay more than I want to pay"

If they said they wanted [less than what they are currently asking], I would bet they would have had an offer or two. It is not unlike selling a house. A house with a low listed price will get multiple offers, a home that is listed above its market value will probably not get any offers. 

I think the niners really want to trade him and I think if a second is on the table at any point, he's gone. If he's on the roster this year, I think it's because nobody has any team interest in paying what it would take to make it worth it for the niners. We know they won't give him away, but I don't think they have any real interest in him moving forward

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think the niners really want to trade him and I think if a second is on the table at any point, he's gone. If he's on the roster this year, I think it's because nobody has any team interest in paying what it would take to make it worth it for the niners. We know they won't give him away, but I don't think they have any real interest in him moving forward

There is to much egg on the face if we trade him for a 2nd.  Keep him as a backup for 2 years, you wont find a more talented backup and the way that we go through QBs it is good to have him around

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, burlow said:

There is to much egg on the face if we trade him for a 2nd.  Keep him as a backup for 2 years, you wont find a more talented backup and the way that we go through QBs it is good to have him around

Bold to assume he's the backup. 

There's already egg on their face. They are already out on a guy they used 3 firsts and a third for. Keeping him as a backup / third stringer rather than moving him for an early second doesn't make that better . 

There's definitely a line where it's not worth it given his contract and just having him on the roster in an emergency situation, but I definitely think a second is about that line for them

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Forge said:

7jg5va.jpg

Darnold's last six games last year were very good, his delivery is clean, he is athletic, his arm is strong, what is there not to like?  He sucked three years ago in a different system on a different team surrounded by 10 other people who sucked.  Last year, he made good decisions to go with his physical tools, and he is like 25.  

I think people are sleeping on Darnold.  He said "seeing ghosts" at a press conference, then everyone just dog piled onto him to no end for it.  He was just being honest, and Bill Belicheck used to give Walsh and Montana issues.  It happens.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Darnold's last six games last year were very good, his delivery is clean, he is athletic, his arm is strong, what is there not to like?  He sucked three years ago in a different system on a different team surrounded by 10 other people who sucked.  Last year, he made good decisions to go with his physical tools, and he is like 25.  

I think people are sleeping on Darnold.  He said "seeing ghosts" at a press conference, then everyone just dog piled onto him to no end for it.  He was just being honest, and Bill Belicheck used to give Walsh and Montana issues.  It happens.  

He didn't suck three years ago, he has sucked his entire career (he was solid last year... Not good or very good, but you could definitely do worse). 

He's probably a fine backup QB and spot starter and will be acceptable in a shanny offense, but there has been more hype about Darnold than there has been than the guy this team spent three firsts and a third on two years ago which was the point. 

Team is really all out on Lance it feels like. The media certainly feels like they are lol

Yet despite Darnold playing so well in those first five games, he ended the season going 5-15 for 37 yards and 2 INTs. THIS is who he is. Darnold started 2021 very solid and then ended it terribly and the only reason that was not the case last year was because he didn't get a chance to play more than six games. Heck, like I mentioned his last game, if he did get to play a few more games, I suspect it would have been a similar end to 2021. 

Can Darnold win games with this team? Sure, but is he a good QB? Absolutely not and there is FAR too big of a sample size to say otherwise. He's just not it and if he has to step in a for a few games, the team will be fine...Anything more and you are asking for trouble. 

49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yet despite Darnold playing so well in those first five games, he ended the season going 5-15 for 37 yards and 2 INTs. THIS is who he is. Darnold started 2021 very solid and then ended it terribly and the only reason that was not the case last year was because he didn't get a chance to play more than six games. Heck, like I mentioned his last game, if he did get to play a few more games, I suspect it would have been a similar end to 2021. 

Can Darnold win games with this team? Sure, but is he a good QB? Absolutely not and there is FAR too big of a sample size to say otherwise. He's just not it and if he has to step in a for a few games, the team will be fine...Anything more and you are asking for trouble. 

Sound like confirmation bias to me. Nobody is saying Darnold is the next answer at QB, just that he is easily good enough to win games with this team until Purdy is ready.

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Sound like confirmation bias to me. Nobody is saying Darnold is the next answer at QB, just that he is easily good enough to win games with this team until Purdy is ready.

Confirmation bias? Huh? What does that even mean here? We have a FIFTY GAME sample of Darnold and know exactly what he is at this point. Folks bring up his six game stretch last season as if he didn't have a similar stretch to start 2021...until he fell apart as he always does. He's not good and is what he is at this point. There is no confirmation bias here. 

• Like 1