Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What?

I'm bringing up Cousins because everyone seems to act like the Watson contract is some crazy, wild one-off that no other owner wants to do. But another owner did it just 3 years prior. And his most recent extension was fully guaranteed.

So, like, why does no one talk about this?

I understand that, i countered with the likelihood that Jackson wants more years than Cousins got like the Watson contract. Its just crazy Watson got what he got with the allegations

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah but they don’t need to collude in order to avoid that.

All Miami, Washington, Atlanta, whomever, would have to do is just bring Lamar in for a visit and not offer a fully GTD deal. Then he learns his market value and either sits or signs somewhere.

The problem with that is the Ravens are 99% likely to match that offer right away and all you are doing is the Ravens job for them lol.  I was listening to one of the shows and they was talking about that as well that most of the people around the league know they will match it and don't want to waste their time and do the ravens jobs for em.  While they could be putting in more effort to check our draft prospects and other more available FA's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

The problem with that is the Ravens are 99% likely to match that offer right away and all you are doing is the Ravens job for them lol.  I was listening to one of the shows and they was talking about that as well that most of the people around the league know they will match it and don't want to waste their time and do the ravens jobs for em.  While they could be putting in more effort to check our draft prospects and other more available FA's.

No no no… this is too painfully obvious… it can’t be that it has to be collusion… ask RG3, Richard Sherman, etc…

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

That’s an element too.

Although no one knows exactly what Baltimore’s ceiling is. Like, it’s seems silly to me that a team would think “we’re prepared and willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on this guy we view as a franchise QB, spend multiple first rounds picks, in order to help us win a SB….but let’s not try, because that’ll waste like, a whole day’s worth of meeting!”

It’s still a factor, no doubt. Just don’t think it makes sense that “maybe the Ravens will match” is enough of a deterrent.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s an element too.

Although no one knows exactly what Baltimore’s ceiling is. Like, it’s seems silly to me that a team would think “we’re prepared and willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on this guy we view as a franchise QB, spend multiple first rounds picks, in order to help us win a SB….but let’s not try, because that’ll waste like, a whole day’s worth of meeting!”

It’s still a factor, no doubt. Just don’t think it makes sense that “maybe the Ravens will match” is enough of a deterrent.

I look at it like this i imagine every team at some point reached out preliminary to see what he was looking for.  I know their were reports the Falcons already had interest and talked some.   If the Falcons and other teams with their resources already figured out atleast close to what Baltimore offered.  Then decided they didn't want to offer him anymore than that or only like another 20 mil on top of that.  Then why waste your time if you wasn't going to go full blast with a crap ton of money to begin with to blow him and Baltimore out of the water lol. 

17 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I look at it like this i imagine every team at some point reached out preliminary to see what he was looking for.  I know their were reports the Falcons already had interest and talked some.   If the Falcons and other teams with their resources already figured out atleast close to what Baltimore offered.  Then decided they didn't want to offer him anymore than that or only like another 20 mil on top of that.  Then why waste your time if you wasn't going to go full blast with a crap ton of money to begin with to blow him and Baltimore out of the water lol. 

Reached out how, though? Like, as apart of trade discussions? We’d have found out that Lamar did a visit + was in negotiations if that were the case. Otherwise, Baltimore themselves would have to be reeeeeally forthcoming with their own contract negotiations with other teams….over a phone call. I don’t really think that happens.

Usually teams secure trade compensation (or at least a framework) before allowing teams to negotiate with players they have rights to.

12 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

This is like a Swiss cheese model of suck for Jackson. So much had to go wrong for this to occur. He played this horribly and I doubt that this would have been allowed to happen if he had an agent

I wonder if that's the collusion.

There's only 17 players out of 2000~ that have no agent. And LJ is negotiating for 5 times more than any of the other players is; and probably 2-3 times more than any(unrepresented) player EVER has.

elite QBs contribute a lot to put butts in the seats. They make the $$

Is it so hard to think owners would like to maintain control on future assets/income streams. Ravens owner should be enjoying a a few more years of prosperity but the deal was never done and they tried. oh did they try.

I could see other owners being nervous

Edited by Ryan_W

8 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Flawed thought process you presented. Lamar would probably be willing to accept a similar offer from a different team. Maybe he's just done with playing for the Ravens and wants to go elsewhere. Maybe he wants a team to go trade for an AJ Brown or Stephen Diggs. Maybe he wants to play for an OC that can build around his arm talents. So many factors to consider in this situation with Lamar.

I'm not understanding why Lamar continued to represent himself when it was pretty clear the two sides were at a standstill. I imagine an agent would have working his *** off the last few weeks selling Lamar to every top brass and ownership group willing to listen. 

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but IMO, the really undersold aspect of all of this is that, assuming no team wants to give him the bag he's demanding, he still probably scorns Baltimore in 2024 out of spite and hurt feelings and goes somewhere else. If he's not reasonable on that front, it's very likely that he's not going to have his pride hurt back in Baltimore...kind of a "scored ex" approach IMO.

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I'm not understanding why Lamar continued to represent himself when it was pretty clear the two sides were at a standstill. I imagine an agent would have working his *** off the last few weeks selling Lamar to every top brass and ownership group willing to listen. 

Agreed. Those extra points saved on agent fees aren’t worth this current situation.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Agreed. Those extra points saved on agent fees aren’t worth this current situation.

Everyone wants to point to Bobby Wagner for the "see you don't need an agent" front, but then there are situations like these...and the reality says an agent also explains to Lamar what things like "obvious regression" are...or "injuries" are...or "quitting on your team before the postseason", etc.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I imagine he's so far behind where he needs to be to get it done that it really isn't registering with him.  Some of these high-level guys/owners need to be courted continually just to have one meaningful conversation. 

• Like 1